• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

redblock straight eight?

In all of this I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the early Jaguar twin IL6 E-Type. I had the fortune to be introduced to this monster while learning mechanics and engineering in the early 70's - and what not to do to a car. I learned how to tune a twin set of twin SU's then.:-(

What a monstrosity! Two standard IL6 Jag motors coupled with a mid-engine transmission assembly, engaged from the throttle linkage off the front pair of SU carbs. When the front IL6 reached ~3/4 -WOT the linkage kicked in the back IL6 and you felt a kidney aching punch in the gut as you stepped on it. IIRC the back motor was positioned above the front motor slightly. Can't remember exactly how they did the coupling.
It was quite a novelty of a car, but I don't think it lasted long in production.

And back to the OP's idea, if you use the Jag theory, the front IL4 provides normal operation power, and with it, good mpg. When in normal operation the back IL4 is in a constant idle state, and runing an independent ign and fuel, and has the added power only when called on for it. I would use a modified OD unit and guibo for the intermediate transmission, and hydraulicaly couple the two motors. Long beast this will be. Probably only fit in a Jag chassis.

:cameron: What in the name of Sir William Lyons are you talking about?

There's no doubt the Jaguar V12 is two XK I6's with a single crank, but I have no idea what is being talked about there.

This falls into the "if you have to ask"....

I doubt any of those guys above that did any of those multi-motor setups asked if it could be done...they just did it!

This falls into the "if you have to ask"....

I doubt any of those guys above that did any of those multi-motor setups asked if it could be done...they just did it!

Right, but i feel pretty confident in the knowledgebase of tb, which is why I inquired. Feel like most of my concerns were addressed here. Firing order, how to connect them, etc. Just brainstorming some possible directions. A v8 would be easier, absolutely, but that isn't the point. Have you ever done something just to see if you could?

While we're bench racing (bench building?) we might as well get serious here; no one has mentioned firing order yet.

A standard inline 4-cyl like a redblock has a flat-plane crank and a 1-4-3-2 firing order. A straight 8 usually has a cross-plane crank and a firing order of 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4. Each crank journal has to be 90 degrees apart from the next one in the firing order, to get an even firing 8-cyl engine where you get one combustion event for every 90 degrees of crank rotation (270 / 8 = 90).

If you take two flat-plane 4-cyl cranks and attach them back to back somehow, you'll be posed with the question of how to phase them. If you line them up in phase and time the camshafts identically, you'll end up with four big "hits" for every two revolutions, that is cyl. 1 on the front engine firing at the same time as cyl. 1 on the rear engine. You could time the two cranks out of phase by 90 degrees to each other to get one pulse every 90 degrees, but then you'd get a weird firing order of 1-8-3-6-4-5-2-7 or something similar, which would introduce all kinds of bad scoobies in the vibration department. The cranks would not survive long with either strategy I think.

The whole point (to me at least) of a straight 8 is the smoothness and inherent internal balance that you get with an even firing order and one pulse per 90 degrees of crank rotation. If you want to make an inline 8 out of two fours, it really calls for custom crankshaft(s) and camshaft(s) to get the correct even-fire firing order.
1342*

Theres a company on the internet that 'claims' to have build successful, running LS V12's from 1.5 LS V8's And yes, they cut/welded the cranks, and cut/welded the blocks and heads, valve covers, oilpans, etc., and then did the appropriate machining to make them one. No idea if it actually runs, they won't post a video or a dyno of it running, but they claim to have built 4-5 of them.

You can do a flat-plane V8 as well. Most Ferrari V8's are flat-plain.

Theres a company on the internet that 'claims' to have build successful, running LS V12's from 1.5 LS V8's And yes, they cut/welded the cranks, and cut/welded the blocks and heads, valve covers, oilpans, etc., and then did the appropriate machining to make them one. No idea if it actually runs, they won't post a video or a dyno of it running, but they claim to have built 4-5 of them.

Most exotic's are flat plane. Cross plane has a ****ed up firing order.

edit: It'd be way easier to make a W12 outa 1.5 LS blocks.

double edit: how is this thread not in OT yet?

It's possible to cut and weld aluminum heads and blocks. I've seen Big Block Chevy V6's built by cutting and welding the block and head. The place had enough of a racing budget to have cams and cranks custom built.

So...how about a Redblock straight 6?

yeeeaaaa..... EulieLee posted that link on page 2 and you're only on page 3. :rofl:

That's got to be the fastest repost...

On another note---> straight 10, double T5s?

Back