• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240: M47 to AW71 conversion?

Whitestorm

Hello TB'ers how are you all doing? I recently picked up a new to me '90 740 turbo which will be donating its drivetrain to my '88 240. Since my 240 currently has a 315k mile M47 with an LH2.2 flywheel and a pretty bad clutch I think I'll save my money for a T5 swap. In the mean time, I'd like to put the AW71 from the 740 in. I don't plan on wiring it up to my reverse lights or anything unnecessary to run since its just temporary.

Is there anything special to this or should it just bolt in and work? I have not been able to find a post on converting a manual brick to auto (probably for good reason :lol:) I plan on swapping the engine, trans and 2.4 harness.

sell your m47 to some OEM whore and use the money on the T5 swap you'll never finish.

A clutch is only $150. lets be real here

I don't plan on wiring it up to my reverse lights or anything unnecessary to run since its just temporary.
Is this real life?

Hopefully this isn't a daily driver because looks like you're going down the rabbit hole. Buy clutch kit, replace yourself or pay someone to do it.

Otherwise grab the complete drive shaft from an auto 240. You will need the crossmember, the floor shifter and cooler lines. So if you can, grab all the parts from the same donor car.

just how much do you think the T5 swap costs?

whats wrong with m46 or m45s?

(Im asking because I want to learn)

I don't plan on wiring it up to my reverse lights or anything unnecessary to run since its just temporary.

ah the temporary permanent swap right before the jackstands/partout/VWgolf/ crusher

A clutch is only $150. lets be real here

True, but that $150 could go towards a T5, I'll also need an LH2.4 flywheel since the 240 is LH2.2 and a nice flywheel is going to set me back $220 from STS. I'll need to get that eventually but its money that could be saved for the time being.

just how much do you think the T5 swap costs? Whats wrong with m46 or m45s? Ah the temporary permanent swap right before the jackstands/partout/VWgolf/ crusher

I'm guessing the T5 would set me back around $700 or so though that would fluctuate depending on what parts I buy. M46 is meh, but its a pseudo 5 speed and only marginally better than the M47. M47 is straight garbage, feels gross, gearing leaves a lot to be desired, makes lots of noise at high rpm and is weak. To be fair my experience isn't the best since my trans has 315k :lol: but I've heard too many bad things about them. And dont worry, its getting done once I invest in something its happening.

Hopefully this isn't a daily driver because looks like you're going down the rabbit hole.

Otherwise grab the complete drive shaft from an auto 240. You will need the crossmember, the floor shifter and cooler lines. So if you can, grab all the parts from the same donor car.

Yeahhhhh its a DD, luckily I have a '86 Subaru with a spun bearing to transport me 5 mintues to work and back for maybe a week or two :rofl:. Luckily I work at a dealer so if worst comes to worst I can grab something from them temporarily.

Auto driveshaft, cooler lines (these cars came with stock trans coolers? Nice Volvo!), Crossmember and floor shifter. I could have sworn I never read that the manual driveshaft and crossmember were needed for the auto to manual conversion? It makes sense so I must be going crazy! I'll have to see what that stuff is going to set me back because heck if its gonna be $200 I should just swallow the bullet and buy a new flywheel and clutch. I just don't think my m47 will hold :-(

When good isn't good enough

111hp leaves a lot to be desired! Goal is 200 by the end of this summer and 300 by next, lots of work to do! :cool:

To answer the question, a T5 swap or any other decent manual swap is going to run you around $1000. Obviously YMMV but it's a good figure to stick to if you haven't done it before.

The aw71 is a great trans. Consider performing the accumulator modification to make a bit sportier/last a little longer under boost.

You will need the 240 trans xmember as the 740 aw will have a slightly different mount. Driveshaft you're going to want to use the front half (that bolts to the aw) from a 240... keep the rear half from your original 240.

You'll need the trans cooler lines from a 240... or get what you can from the 740 and fabricate the rest using compression fittings.

Kickdown cable from the aw to the 240.... I'm not 100% sure if you can use the 740 aw KDC but you'll find out when you do the swap.

Relatively simple swap. No brain surgery.

Also... you're putting the turbo engine with the turbo in the 240 right?

How long has your Subaru been broken?

About a week and a half, she was knocking so I knew it was gonna happen sooner or later lol. Still starts up right away and drives pretty well lol! 199k is pretty good for the pile that is the EA82T :roll: It's gonna get an EG33, will be pretty fun afterwards!

Relatively simple swap. No brain surgery.

Also... you're putting the turbo engine with the turbo in the 240 right?

Great! Thanks for the awesome info, looks like I have to phone a few yards near me! Yup I'll be putting bolts inside the springs and all that fun stuff (I don't know auto's at all lol). Yes its getting the entire turbo engine and probably the wiring harness too. Not sure if it will be easier to modify my lh2.2 one or swap 2.4 from the 740, or get a 240 non turbo 2.4 harness and modify it. But that's for another post haha.

Depending on t5 price when everything is said and done you’ll spend closer to 2k

Actual T5 cost (they aint cheap anymore) Clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, adjustable TO bearing, bellhousing with machine work, drive shaft, drive shaft adapter, t5 cross member, speedo cable conversion, synthetic oil, trans mount, flywheel

Great! Thanks for the awesome info, looks like I have to phone a few yards near me! Yup I'll be putting bolts inside the springs and all that fun stuff (I don't know auto's at all lol). Yes its getting the entire turbo engine and probably the wiring harness too. Not sure if it will be easier to modify my lh2.2 one or swap 2.4 from the 740, or get a 240 non turbo 2.4 harness and modify it. But that's for another post haha.

Hmm. Retrofitting a 740-anything harness into a 240 can be done but if you're interested in running lh2.4 (probably the better choice), I know it sounds crazy but IMHO your best bet is to get the lh2.4 harness from a 240. It comes out as a complete unit from ECU (both ecus's) to sensors on the block. With care you could pull one from a car in 20-40 minutes. I think you'll find that even though it means buying something new, the time it can save in the end might be worth it.

Depending on t5 price when everything is said and done you?ll spend closer to 2k

Actual T5 cost (they aint cheap anymore) Clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, adjustable TO bearing, bellhousing with machine work, drive shaft, drive shaft adapter, t5 cross member, speedo cable conversion, synthetic oil, trans mount, flywheel

Was gonna say the same thing.

A nice flywheel and clutch and some bushings, and the m47 might be good. I don't mind mine with a 16t.

Hmm. Retrofitting a 740-anything harness into a 240 can be done but if you're interested in running lh2.4 (probably the better choice), I know it sounds crazy but IMHO your best bet is to get the lh2.4 harness from a 240. It comes out as a complete unit from ECU (both ecus's) to sensors on the block. With care you could pull one from a car in 20-40 minutes. I think you'll find that even though it means buying something new, the time it can save in the end might be worth it.

^^

Absolutely. I wouldn't even consider trying to adapt a 7-9 harness to work in a 2 series. You can buy a good LH 2.4 240 engine harness for approximately $100 from someone on here.

240 LH 2.4 Engine Harness

46063738805_6abeaaeb15_z.jpg

clutch kits are cheap. just get it and throw it in for now. worlds better than putting in a stupid slush box.

Or just get the lh2.4 flywheel now and put a clutch in... pressure plate stays the same when you t5 swap.

Back