• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Wiper Mess - Green Manual

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
Is there ANY mention in a green manual as to the "official' procedure to re-assemble one of the most stupid designs in the history of machinery......the 'cabled' 240 wiper assembly? I read Art's write up - saved the pics, etc....I can get them back on but then they grind like the cable is crossed the wrong way or the pop can 'rod' wobbles like its not stable. I'm literally thinking of pulling the dash off one at the yard and zip tying / duct taping the mess in that one in place before removing it to use in the current purgatorial sentence.

My 122 and 1800's setup was a better design than this garbage.

yes, that can surely be one of the most swear worthy areas to work on. Make sure the cable follows the groove in the pulley and that it goes around in the right direction. That way it follows the monkey motion of the motor. To tighten the cable. I use a small ratcheting box wrench on the nut while holding the end from turning with a small screwdriver. Make sure it is tight enough that it has no play. Put a long lasting grease like Wurth HHS K all over it.

I haven't ever seen a procedure in a green book. I'll go look when I get a few minutes. Don't have them all but have a few to look through.

I got the one piece on that connects the left to the right - from Art's pics the cable end of the adjustment nut is towards the driver/cabin on the loop. Seems to be ok but the grooves looks like a single groove....which that alone I thought was pretty stupid. You can hear the cables rubbing on the left side - I'm not a fan of the lithium grease (new stuff is too thin) so I used Mobil One synthetic grease (thick) and it quieted down alot. I ditched the lock nuts and got 2 regular nuts - you could spin them down with your thumb while holding the whole mess together - then after wrenching it down where you want it, add a second nut to lock against it and a dab of Loctite red on the end. UFB

Course....my access is a tad easier than most at this point in time. :cool:

P1030028xxx.jpg

Late 140/164 use the same wiper system. The greenbook has a little better description and pictures in the electrical section.

http://www.240.se/litteratur/tp10868.pdf

Thats the best illustration from the arctic nuthouse yet - thanks very much for the link. Is there supposed to be 2 grooves per cam? I could only see one - would have rather had the cables separated where they cross.

I used a zip tie as a loop/hanger to hold one side while I configured the other - that with using a regular nut to get it tight helped alot. Otherwise, the job is the equivalent of dying and going to Hell in your sleep.

Oh my love that access.

Ground up resto just out of paint.....a stripped shell - not even brake or fuel lines underneath it. It will never be easier than this. :nod:

There are two groves on the right side one. One groove for the motor arm and the other groove links the left side arm. The left side has only one groove.

One groove on each pulley is lame. The thicker grease helps alot with the rubbing cables.

This is one of those things that if it was a long term deal, I'd machine the grooves a tad deeper. Could snug the end to make up for it and it'd make it much more difficult for the cable to slip off.

I got it figured.....with that kind of 'access' I had the whole mess off and on about 3x in an hour - probably how they did it at assembly. I rebuilt the motor also so jury rigged it to see how it all worked - smooth and incredibly quiet now. If I had to mess with them after its back together, that dash would definitely come out though.

I got a couple pics but its very hard to make sense of it without seeing it in process (video?). Its critical which way you flip the cable - one way its au natural and smooth - the other way can bind and wants to walk off the cam. Cant imagine how many times or how hard they hit their heads to come up with that design though.

...Cant imagine how many times or how hard they hit their heads to come up with that design though.

Can you imagine how cheaply that system was mass produced? The engineer likely got a substantial raise.

FWIW, I've done this twice. Once dash out and once dash-in (through the upper center console and the glove box hole). Both times it was trial and error but blood and some swearing accompanied the dash-in repair.

Glad you got it sorted :cheers:

lol......this was obviously all designer (people who draw pictures) - no engineers were involved.

I was talking to a retired Volvo tech about this - said I had no idea why they'd make such a thing.

His response: "Because it was way cheaper to make."

Did it recently myself on the 242. Cable came loose on the link to the motor. Unfortunately, the sot on the threaded end of the cable was stripped when I tried to tighten it. Grabbed another at the yard and replaced it. Pulled the dash to make it easier.

The thing is a complicated cable and pulley setup. Couldn't have been less expensive than a linkage with bushings in the arms. At least in my view. I love that designer comment and no engineers involved.

It truly is the unique to Volvo wiper system that mostly behaves and tortures you when it fails. I wonder how many owners sold or junked their cars because the wipers drove them or their mechanics crazy?

It is a compact system to fit under the dash so kudos to that.

Last edited:
:lol:

I have to say the quality of the wiper parts on my early 80s turbos have held up much better than my 93 wagon has. Don't know why. I've had wiper system problems with the 93 twice. My turbo is still original from 1982. I do spray the Wurth HHS K stuff on there about once a year or so. It is the best for tough door latches and the wiper system.

I did see Art's site.....printed several pics as a cheat sheet to see how the cables were routed. Once I disassembled everything, wire wheeled it and then got right up on it with my reading glasses and an LED lamp - it all made sense (how the cables went - not the twisted idea behind it).

The trick is in which way the cable is looped when its mounted......but its still a stupid design.

:cool:

Back