• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(Not*) Mediocre 242

I'm not too worried about the wiring. I use 10 awg for most of the run, and then step down to 12 awg.

I have been thinking about making a nice sending unit, but man there really isn't that much room.

Also, if I do a -8 feed line, I guess I need to swage the tube down to the 3/8" outlet of the walbro.

I got some ID1700x, and didn't do anything to my feed line. Required duty has dropped a ton; it's now hovering between 50-60% at ~30 psi of boost. They idle great on e65. I'll be curious to see how they do with pump gas on the way to Davis. So if anyone wants some ID1300s talk to me because I'll likely sell mine soon.

After installing the injectors and messing with the tune a bit, I went out with some buddies and did some pulls. My buddy who trapped 131 in the quarter can't pull away from me. My car is finally starting to feel fast.

Great to see the progress on this, and that's awesome that you're coming to Davis this year. Will be good to finally meet up and check it out!

***looks at my wagon...looks at list of cars on the fast drive for Davis....shudders at the thought of being the slow one....

Awesome news indeed man! FYI, bring your tuning stuff, we DO have quite a few E85 stations in town. I'm back to straight E85 now and we seem to be getting a decent blend in the Propel tanks right now.

Great to see the progress on this, and that's awesome that you're coming to Davis this year. Will be good to finally meet up and check it out!

It'll definitely be a good time.

***looks at my wagon...looks at list of cars on the fast drive for Davis....shudders at the thought of being the slow one....

Awesome news indeed man! FYI, bring your tuning stuff, we DO have quite a few E85 stations in town. I'm back to straight E85 now and we seem to be getting a decent blend in the Propel tanks right now.

I drive pretty slowly normally, I mostly like to go fast just doing pulls with people. I'll definitely bring my laptop. I already know I'll have to knock out a ton of wastegate duty. It loves to hit boost cut down there.

It's been a while, but I've just been driving the car. I finally decided to upgrade the brakes from the RX7 and stock rear calipers I had to match the power I'm making. I don't think I'll ever put big sidewall slicks on the back, so holding out to fit 15" wheels in the back isn't a priority anymore. It's not a drag car. It's a street car and most of my driving is highway pulls anyway, so I put R brakes on front and rear. Maybe not the best option, but I got them for cheap and it's an easy job. I use a mustang master cylinder with a volvo reservoir and I shortened a wilwood push rod spacer to make up the difference.

The only tricky part for me was that my local hose shop couldn't find the same bulkhead fittings as stock for the rear soft lines. So I changed it from a bubble to a double flare and used these fittings:

ZV1OXO5l.jpg

D6XpLOQl.jpg

Simple enough fix and it works just as well. Fronts look like this:

XFyacnBl.jpg

i4gma0yl.jpg

Rears look like this:

zjASUdsl.jpg

DiPMhkml.jpg

I also finally rounded out my Stack gauge collection and got a new boost gauge:

5hoYuJul.jpg

I've done a few things to the car. I flipped my rear brakes brackets over and installed my brakes the right way. I also modified an oil pan with some baffles and a tiny bit of extra capacity.

uIGQ05Al.jpg

Odqz3UCl.jpg

5hmXS6Hl.jpg

0fqZuOKl.jpg

The pan is now powdercoated and installed with the new oil transfer tube to clear the ARP main stud. I made a post in that thread, but I'll also post it here if I want to look it up later.

Casey sent me the original tube he made for testing. I finally installed it and took some data.

The installation was easy enough, no appreciable difference from stock. However, it does take a bit of patience and precision to align the oil pump drive and the transfer tube outlet, and maybe a little more force than stock to remove due to tolerance stackup between the part and my specific engine casting. Take your time during installation to ensure a good sealing fit. It also should be noted that the flanges on either end of my tube do not butt up to the block or the oil pump. There is a small gap on either end, but it doesn't seem to affect sealing. Below are two pictures of the installation. One shows clearance between the ARP main stud and the transfer tube. The other shows the gap between flange and either end surface.

TtuefFTh.jpg

TAyz9v7h.jpg

All data was taken at approximately the same ambient and oil temperatures. Data shows endine oil pressure produced by a year or two old Melling m181 pump with the IPD high pressure spring pumping Rotella T6 5w-40 oil in a B230FT with oil squirters in ~95 F ambient temp. I took data during a cold start, a hot start, and a full pull from ~1000 to 7200 rpm. Plots showing oil pressure obtained at various engine RPM during these events follow:

Vp8pMo7h.png

CJXa9Qyh.png

Nti2saAh.png

In general, there seems to be a small (~1-4 psi) pressure drop when switching to the Zelig transfer tube from stock. This is most noticeable during hot start and the pull. I don't think this will cause any problem for my engine setup, but if you have a 16v with oil squirters, it might be something to think about.

In both starting events, oil pressure takes longer to build with the Zelig transfer tube. This is seen with the lower oil pressure values at higher RPMs, signifying a longer ramp during starting to build pressure. I'm not quite sure how to explain this. I guess it could be oil initially escaping because the flanges don't butt up to their respective surfaces, but I don't know if I actually believe that. More likely, the tube and engine angles are slightly different, but I also don't know if that could be the cause. It may also be some function of my oil pressure sensor not accurately recording during cranking, but that's kind of hard to believe as well. In any case, it seems that full oil pressure is delayed a few hundred RPM during starting events with the Zelig transfer tube. I'm not sure this is a problem, but it happened with my engine.

I will leave the Zelig transfer tube in my engine. At high RPMs where the oil pressure really matters, there is no significant difference between the stock and the Zelig tube pressures. The main benefit of this tube is to allow for a full set of ARP main studs instead of having to use one bolt. I'll keep my eye on oil pressure for the next little while and see if anything changes. I don't think it will, but if it does, I'll update.

I'm having a pretty annoying steering wheel shake at 55 mph and above. I've road force balanced my wheels, checked all the front end bushings/ ball joints, and unhooked the power steering pump. I'm pretty convinced I have a bent hub. I plan to look into that a bit more in the near future.

Nothing big really. It was parked over the winter and then I drove it from Michigan to Washington State. Now it's apart and I'm working on changing the transmission to something that shifts faster.

In addition to that I gotta fix a few things. My windows stopped moving for some reason, and I want to improve my turbo oil drain.

Nothing big really. It was parked over the winter and then I drove it from Michigan to Washington State. Now it's apart and I'm working on changing the transmission to something that shifts faster.

In addition to that I gotta fix a few things. My windows stopped moving for some reason, and I want to improve my turbo oil drain.

What trans are you thinking about?

Back