• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Port on my +t for the intake hose??

gotboost

contributor
I'm deep in the middle of performing my +t on my '93 240. There is an electric port on the intake hose that goes between the turbo and the airbox, which I understand is a heater for the PVC system. I don't believe my 240 had such a feature. Should I just ignore it and leave it unplugged? I'm assuming that is the best option, but just wanted to bounce it off you guys.

I just ignored it with no negative consequences. Probably a startup emissions thing like 80% of electronics on motors in the last few decades

Yes to preventing the formation of ice in the PVC system; but, more likely to prevent the formation of ice which blocks the PVC air flow through the engine (located between the airbox and turbo it would be abnormal for air to be flowing out of the PVC tube and into the turbo). Late '70s VW Rabbits (remember them?) which first got K jet had a problem where the PVC would ice up on the air box side causing a negative pressure in the crankcase and slow evacuation of oil into the intake manifold which could be fatal for the engine. The solution was a heater on the hose to prevent icing. Really only a problem in climates where the temperature drops significantly below freezing and there is a lot of short hop driving.

Yes to preventing the formation of ice in the PVC system; but, more likely to prevent the formation of ice which blocks the PVC air flow through the engine (located between the airbox and turbo it would be abnormal for air to be flowing out of the PVC tube and into the turbo). Late '70s VW Rabbits (remember them?) which first got K jet had a problem where the PVC would ice up on the air box side causing a negative pressure in the crankcase and slow evacuation of oil into the intake manifold which could be fatal for the engine. The solution was a heater on the hose to prevent icing. Really only a problem in climates where the temperature drops significantly below freezing and there is a lot of short hop driving.

I don't know about PVC systems but in PCV system excess crankcase pressure gets vented to the airbox to turbo pipe, that dirty air goes through the turbo.

It heats PCV vapors so ice crystals don't form and then damage the turbo compressor.

I figured it was for something like that. I live in WA, so we really only get freezing temperatures about 20 days a year, and the 240 doesn't leave the garage on such days usually. I think I'm just going to not worry about it.

Back