• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

patrickstars 1983 242 4.8L/AR5 swap

Wkpb88ll.jpg

Got a good deal on this CORE shifter for the AR5. I was expecting it to be used, but it was brand new.

yfG25p4l.jpg

Unfortunately, my friend who built this cover didn't think of having to swap out the shifter, so I'll have to cut it up :-(

Heres where we are as of 11/13:

cjs9lrMl.jpg

Messy bay.

Derek (Vol242vo) scored me some mint quad square headlight bezels since mine went missing at some point. I found a good set of 5-panel taillights on FB to replace the beat up ones on the car.

Ordered a Sparco Sprint and Kaplhenke seat brackets. Only ordered one seat, if I don't like it it'll be the passenger seat.

Thats about it for now. Still a long ways to go.

Exhaust !!!

aYhvPL8l.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LdcmnLd9co4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Exhaust is being fabricated right now. 2.25" downpipes to 2.5" all the way back, over axle.

The STS Machining crossmember fits an AR5 for anyone curious. I think it'll need a few spaces on the mount to get the driveshaft angles right

Great minds think alike !!!I also did my exhaust just like yours, just that I had to add a second catalitic converter to diminish the emissions . Here it is , https://youtu.be/b-so6-vJ4bE
take care .DZ:oogle:

Looking good. Looks like you have the same issue as me with the intake. I pushed the radiator forward to deal with it a bit. It was a bit of work but I gained about 2". It looks like your radiator rides kinda high though.

Why such a small exhaust pipe?

On the wiring, Painless is still a good way to go.

Looking good. Looks like you have the same issue as me with the intake. I pushed the radiator forward to deal with it a bit. It was a bit of work but I gained about 2". It looks like your radiator rides kinda high though.

Why such a small exhaust pipe?

On the wiring, Painless is still a good way to go.

I'm not sure why my radiator is still high, I cut the feet off and did everything recommended . But the engine got moved back a bit and I ordered a 45deg intake pipe, so I think it'll be okay now. Close, but okay.

2.25" downpipes to 2.5" up to resonator, then 3" back. I didn't go bigger because I didn't think the 4.8 needed it. I believe factory is 2.75".

I think I'm going to grab the painless 12 circuit universal kit. I was thinking about doing my own headlight/taillight harness, but by the time I get all the wires, connectors and bus bars it'll be as much as a painless kit. Wiring just makes me nervous

Close is cool, a miss is a good as a mile as they say. Seems like everything fits a little differently in everyone's cars for some reason. My intake wouldn't clear the hood at that angle, probably because of my intake manifold setup.

I missed the 3" part of the exhaust.

Don't sweat the wiring, you got this if you have decent tools and a grip on what needs to be done. It's just a bit tedious.

Close is cool, a miss is a good as a mile as they say. Seems like everything fits a little differently in everyone's cars for some reason. My intake wouldn't clear the hood at that angle, probably because of my intake manifold setup.

I missed the 3" part of the exhaust.

Don't sweat the wiring, you got this if you have decent tools and a grip on what needs to be done. It's just a bit tedious.

When I originally installed the engine, I had the STS mounts so that the engine was all the way forward. Big mistake on my part, so it got pushed back a bit. I think everything will be okay now.

Wiring just worries me, but I think I have a grip on it.

I'll look back through your thread, I was up to date on it a while back but haven't caught up again!

Epsilon?s and a Sparco Sprint seat...officially a race car! Those wheels are going to look so good on the 242!

I'm excited to get them on. I wish they were 16s but I'll take what I can get at this point.

The Sparco is a little "hot boy"-ish but I've always wanted a car with a bucket seat so here we are!

aNgE6GJl.jpg

Sad looking car... I threw a spare coffin hood grill I had from my brown 242 on just so it didn't look as haggard. Got a few small things done today, mostly organized my new shop space.

l1ztiLnl.jpg

Noticed the Lokar throttle cable adjuster was broken. Annoying.

iwuuECGl.jpg

Received the intake pipe this week, fitment is good overall. It'll need to be shortened and have the IAT bung welded in, looking for someone locally who can help with that.

Installed the Kaplhenke seat bracket and Sparco Sprint. Not sure if its correct, since a part of the slider was interfering in some positions.

hP7yLF8l.jpg

Stole the slider assembly from these beat up 242 seats

isJa3gxl.jpg

Swedish booger sugar?

zLKQpMrl.jpg

The spring seen near the hole on the right is preventing it from sitting flush, even with the provided washers. Maybe I need to source newer slider assemblies, which is no big deal.

j0jv3B0l.jpg

I will need to adjust it some more, but I really like it. Next, ordering carpet. I was planning on using OEM carpet, but I learned that the repro carpets don't have holes pre-cut and that may work for me better since my shifter position has changed, and I don't need all the factory holes. Still debating the two, I've heard the repro carpets are PITAs to install/remove

Not much else to report on it. Picked up some new tools for myself (Snap On ratchets and breaker bar, Milwaukee 1/2 impact) and am heading to Walla Walla next weekend to clear out my old shop space. I still have some tools and stuff there.

Hit me up for that IAT bung welding :)
I can also roll a new bead on the intake tube once you shorten it.

I also have some late model sliders I’ll give you as well.

Didn't get too much done over my long holiday break. I had to rent a uhaul to pick up all my stuff from my old shop in Walla Walla. It feels good to be moved out officially, I sure wish I had been able to enjoy that shop space more (4000 sqft and two stories, plenty of room for projects).

qjy6munl.jpg

Got a ZZPerformance 9" filter and IAT bung for my intake, Robert (Culberro) is going to weld the bung in and shorten the intake.

In other news, I ordered an ARC 8000 switch/relay panel for my chassis wiring. I'll be using this to control starter, ignition, headlights, taillights, wipers, and misc electric functions. Probably a bit overkill, but I'm excited and it makes my life easier.

wD3KczMl.jpg

Back