• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Clutchnet Sintered Iron Six Puck Clutch

vintagewrench

This heavy duty well-made Clutchnet sintered iron mix six puck clutch purchased buy the PO in 2004 just came in with some Volvo 410 transmissions and parts. Most clutches of this type are either in or out. Will the damping springs smoothen the engagement?

Last edited:
Looks like there 6 puck ceramic disc. I had one back when. Worked great until the flywheel exploded and totaled my car at the track doing a burnout at 7k rpms. They are on off switch but they are designed to slip a little but that is what causes problem on the cast iron flywheel if it gets to hot. One thing to keep in mind is it is thicker then the stock disc so use washers to space your pressure plate out more so it will clamp fully and not slip just getting on the boost. Mine did at first so I took tranny back out and then spaced it out and then it didn't slip a whole bunch anyway.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FOjKoA1XnAY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/45X58bJYLP0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Look up flywheel explosions in google image search. You won?t race with an iron flywheel after. Especially one that has been carved on. I have lightened a few, but i got lucky and did not rev that high. Yes i had them balanced, but iron will fail.

Good for leaving the line at the drag strip @ 6-7k RPM. On the street PITA, been there done that. Kevlar is much better.

I have a SPEC 6-puck Kevlar clutch in the 142 and 1st gear is a chattery mess. After it gets rolling it smooths out. What's really a pain is starting on a slight incline.

It would be perfect for a road race or track car. The so there’s iron is less of an on/off than the standard ceramics.
For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issues with all the 6-puck clutched I’ve installed in rally cars. Yes, they have a much smaller on/off window, but you can still slip them slightly.

It would be perfect for a road race or track car. The so there’s iron is less of an on/off than the standard ceramics.
For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issues with all the 6-puck clutched I’ve installed in rally cars. Yes, they have a much smaller on/off window, but you can still slip them slightly.

Ronald, Thanks for your thoughts on this type of clutch friction material.

I ran a 6 puck on my b230 with tall gearing. It heavily wore away the flywheel in a short amount of distance. It did not slip though.

If not slippage then how did it wear out the flywheel? Ha ha ha.... It slips a little bit every time you engage it, or is that just called slop slippage? Makes me wonder how CNC boy cuts his metal? It's not cutting it, it is slicing! Probabbsly that triangle shaped flywheel is the problem.

It heavily wore away the flywheel in a short amount of distance. It did not slip though.

They definitely do wear out pressure plates if they are slipped a lot when taking off. I just get them engaged as quickly as possible, then hammer down. They're also okay if you spin the tires when launching (like rally).

I've pulled a few out that had millimeters of wear on the pressure plate (fw was a lot better). But that's only been with drivers that slip the clutch on launches. No issues after replacement and telling them to rev to ~3500 and side step the clutch when launching.

They definitely do wear out pressure plates if they are slipped a lot when taking off. I just get them engaged as quickly as possible, then hammer down. They're also okay if you spin the tires when launching (like rally).

I've pulled a few out that had millimeters of wear on the pressure plate (fw was a lot better). But that's only been with drivers that slip the clutch on launches. No issues after replacement and telling them to rev to ~3500 and side step the clutch when launching.

yea. that works for a rally car. not great for street use (how i was using it)

Back