• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this intercooler too big?

Tonyte619

The dimensions are 24" wide 8" tall with a 4" core and 2 1/2 inlet & outlet.

physically i'm sure i can make it fit.

But is it too much intercooler for my set-up (4" core has me concerned)?

It would be going in a 1991 740 Turbo with an NA b230 bottom, 15G, IPD cam, 3" 012 MAF, blue T5 injectors, and LH2.4 w/ TLAO chips. Looking to run between 15-20 PSI (250ish HP is the goal).

A friend has offered me this intercooler from an old turbo vette and i dont want to take it if i cant use it.

Thanks everyone.

Following, just to see how it runs at 20psi with the 012 and t5 injectors...I've been having some bad luck with mine with the 016.

I also used npr, my build thread shows stock hoses being cut io use with the npr. (I had 940 charge pipes handy)

If it isn't hard to fit, do it. It's not excessively huge, and it will be way better than a stock one. I bet you will love it. If you want to be picky it may drop a tiny amount of boost, but if your reading boost off the intake manifold, it just makes the turbo work a bit harder. The 15g can take a beating so no worries there.

Do it.

4" thickness means a bit more work on making it fit but otherwise not bad. Generic ones are usually 3" and go in much nicer.

If the outlets are pointing straight to the side I would cut them off and weld bends so that they point backwards and hug the radiator. That way it's easier to keep radiator on the stock place and you have to cut less metal. But that is not an issue if you are moving the radiator backwards as older turbos with small radiator have from the factory.

I will be getting that intercooler from my friend, and trying to make it fit. I will let you guys know how that goes. Thanks for the encouragement!

Mbeas96:

The car is currently running only the NA-B230 with 15G and IPD cam @ 10psi been my DD for the last couple years this way. I'm getting ready to smog it, and i'll be good for another 2-years.

Then the chipped ECUs, injectors, MAF and intercooler will go in as well as getting a 3" exhaust made, then boost will be progressively turned up! I'll post my results with that 012 and T5 injectors.

Back