• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Questions about NIW 8v Fuel Rail & Manifold

Hello.

I titled the thread "questions" because I didn't want anyone coming in here and thinking I was asserting soddy craftsmanship (I'm not) if I said I had an issue with it.

A short while ago I came into ownership of one of the famed NIW 8v Intake Manifolds and accompanying fuel rail. At some point during the transfer of ownership, some of the fuel injector clips skipped out, so I received it with only two of four.

I thought (schemed, even) about taking this on myself as it's a relatively simple shape and thin gauge metal, but I'd rather leave it up to someone that knows what they're doing.

I tried to farm the job out to some machine shops, water-jet cutting shops, etc that are in my region that offer these types of services, but either got told to sod off if anything, or was given a crazy price for the work (colloquially, a "**** off" quote). I realize "small" production runs have premiums and minimum amounts, I was willing to accept that, but I wasn't given a turnaround time for the work, either.

I'd like to minimize the risk of a Car-B-Q (car fire) where possible, so I'm looking for ideas on how to get this relatively minor annoyance sorted, given the other problems that still need to attention.

Thanks in advance.

Bugger me, forgot to ask my other bit.
The fuel inlet/outlet ports themselves are "dash" 6 O-Ring (6AN ORB) , correct? I had some fittings on hand that seemed to thread in and seat without issue, but it'd be nice to have a confirmation since I've already put this much of my business out there.

Post a pic of the part in question. There are a bunch of people here that have the capabilities to make what ya need, but it may require sending one of the clips you have to them.

Just guessing, but it is probably a part that already existed and we need to ID it. I don't see why he would go through the trouble of making a proprietary clip, seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

They are just a piece of flat metal with a U shape and a bolt or two to hold them to the rail and the U part slips over the injector to hold it in is all they are. Should be able to fab one up with a cut off wheel and drill is all you'd need to make more. They are thin.

2 months of suspense! Some things came up - time flies, as they say.
Thank you both, I ended up getting the clips sorted. Fittings do seem to be 6AN ORB; Haven't had a time to "test fire" and check for leaks, still sorting a number of other issues.

I've been busy with other projects but after an embarrassingly long time wanted to let anyone out there also piecing this stuff together that the ORB fittings leak, at least on the one I have as there apparently were some revisions/variations during the production of these. The chamfered end is rough and does not accept the o-ring properly on numerous "name brand" fittings I've tried so it is not installer error.

I'm trying to find a[nother] straight cut fitting and crush washer and will give that a go as that seems to be what others have done from scouring every picture/post/etc that is still available for these.

I could elaborate more but I'll leave it at that. If anyone is still around that has one of these installed on a running car I'm curious to know what fitting(s) you used to seal the ends.

Thanks,

PV

Back