• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

7/9 LS Swap Power Steering hoses?

Pillow

Sleazebag 7-9 Owner
For the 7/9 LS swappers, what PS lines/hoses did you all end up going with?

No one really mentions them, maybe I missed the easy solution...?

I made the high pressure one for mine. got a stock one from the parts store, cut the end off and welded it to the volvo hardline coming off the rack. been mint. probably wouldn't take too much imagination to find an appropriate one though

Not a 7/9 series, but what I did on mine was to buy AN adapters for both ends, and then just buy a nice SS braided pre-made line of the appropriate length on eBay.

No stacks of fittings, everything went straight on.

The steering rack side was just a replacement banjo fitting with an AN6 fitting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Cool...200185?hash=item2ae6d2c939:g:cSQAAOSwHW1bbHBq

The PS pump side was extra handy - because the stock fitting was tucked in way behind the pulley in front and the bracket in back - no fun to work with. I got an adapter that reaches out past the pulley for easy access: https://www.holley.com/products/acc.../components_and_service_parts/parts/961961ERL

And then after pondering where the line should run to avoid rubbing against the red hot turbo manifold/crossover pipe, I bought a generic AN6 line: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allstar-Pe...048083&hash=item3b3e2f48e8:g:cHcAAOSwwUJd6-1y

Although I do have to admit my first go at the pressure line was using the same reinforced black braided hose and AN fittings that I'd used everywhere else around the engine bay. I didn't even think too much about it. Not enough thinking, obviously, when the line blew off of one of the fittings n the first drive. That high side PSI is pretty high, I guess. Lol.

not an LS swap but a custom hose is a custom hose; I took mine into a good NAPA location and had them just crimp a new end onto one side of the hose to the length and spec I needed.

I'm doing the method John V mentioned, its really easy. Also not a 7/9 series, but that doesn't matter. Sometimes the custom lines can be expensive depending on who is making them.

Or you could see what the factory lines from your donor motors pumps length is, and just buy 1 adapter for the rack fitting. Or the opposite of that.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

I did get the low pressure side completed last night. Cut the furrel off the factory line and ran new Gates Low Side 3/8 line to the PS pump.

For the high side, the Volvo end is clean and has the furrel cut off... The GM end is a different design and almost impossible to cut the furrel off clean. Lemme see if NAPA can make a line with a generic GM sized end and stock Volvo side.

At worst, just go the Earls -6 AN route.

Thank You!!!

I did it with braided ss AN hose, however I had 3 hoses fail thru the braided end where the hose ends attach. I found out the hard way that PTFE lined braided AN hose must be used. I thought I was bad at making AN hoses, but turned out regular AN hose is not rated for the pressure the PS system can build. Had 3 failures, then switched to PTFE lined hose and all is good.

There are adapter fittings for both the pump and rack available. For the rack you can use a banjo to AN (or JIC) or you can go make threaded to make AN (or JIC). For the pump, you just have to choose the correct one. There are tall/short ones, as well as different flow rates so you can tune the steering feel.
The steel hose ends and PS hose from a hose shop is like $30.

Just read this article: https://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=24899.0

Note: You don't actually need to have any fittings welded. You can buy adapter fittings for just about anything. You just have to know what size thread you need.

Wow, this is now more complicated than I thought ;)

Due to fitment with the exhaust I'll have to go John Mc route with a custom Earls PS line.

Also as Culberro mentioned since I'm using a Saginaw T2 PS pump from a Silverado I need to de-volume to make a nice steering feel.
More info here: https://www.turnone-steering.com/blogs/tech-101

As usual give me a week to order parts and see what happens.

Look around for a local hydraulics shop. I took my ends and measured the length I needed and my local shop made one in 5 minutes- even put a swivel on one end.

I cut the stock Volvo hardline and flared it for AN6 and then had hydraulic shop make me a hose to ps pump. Works great.

Got a hose put together last night. A few parts, but I did end up just making a SS AN hose after all.

EVIL ENERGY 6AN 3/8" Stainless Steel Braided PTFE E85 Transmission Gas Oil Fuel Line Fittings Kit 16Ft Universal(8.13mm ID) - Amazon

https://www.turnone-steering.com/collections/power-steering-fittings/products/an-6-flow-restrictor

Vibrant Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings 11524 - Summit

I used the 45 degree fittings on both ends to clear away from the exhaust. All the components are of very nice quality. No ragrats, but it was expensive.

As noted earlier I bet many people need the flow restriction and just don't bother. Otherwise the steering is/would be super light and over assisted. The Turn One units is designed for sports cars with LS swaps.

Adding: The Evil Energy AN hose is gold for the price! Easy assembly and no BS. Goodbye Aeroquip/Russell/etc!

I did it with braided ss AN hose, however I had 3 hoses fail thru the braided end where the hose ends attach. I found out the hard way that PTFE lined braided AN hose must be used. I thought I was bad at making AN hoses, but turned out regular AN hose is not rated for the pressure the PS system can build. Had 3 failures, then switched to PTFE lined hose and all is good.
I think you are on to something for me! I also had 3 failures exactly with the same hoses I have replaced other underneath parts with. I cut out the rotted copper in the middle and put this in attached with hose clamps. I know your post is 3 yrs old, but if you can pull up what you purchased, I would very much appreciate it!

Back