• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242GL, looking for 2.25" / 2.5" Stainless exhaust suggestions...

deadken

Hey guys,

I started up my 1980 240 Coupe and the exhaust has rotted out. I need to replace it before I get the car inspected.

I'm looking for a good quality Stainless Steel replacement system. The car is stock (2.1, CIS, BW55), but I have a 2.3L turbo engine out of my 1992 940T w/ AW71 that might eventually make it's way into this car...

So, I'm looking for a good quality SS exhaust system that will not be overly obnoxiously loud or buzzy. I was thinking of the IPD Sport exhaust, but it seems that the quality has slipped considerably over the years.

Then I considered going with the Swedish Car Parts Stainless System: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-240-...:Volvo&hash=item544cbd5079:g:WQIAAOSwMKpUZppm
or directly from them:
https://www.swedishcarparts.com/par...ystem-for-sedans-and-wagons-lifetime-warranty
but those systems seem to be stock diameters and if I am buying a stainless system for the rest of the cars life, why not go with a slightly larger size?

So, I figured that I'd ask here what others have bought and liked. Budget isn't a big concern, I'm just looking for a known quality system before I consider getting a custom system installed.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

-Ken

Last edited:
I don't think anyone (at least state side) has a kit that's worth keeping on the car once the T block gets installed. I'd find a good exhaust shop and have a custom one fabbed up. I have 2.5" mandrel bent, bullet style cat, and single straight through magnaflow. Works great on my NA and should do just fine when I eventually +t.

+1 for the custom exhaust shop route. I had a 2.5" turbo back system made for $300 out the door. Will be more pricey for stainless, but the aluminized steel holds up well even in Massachusetts. Ask for v bands so sections can be taken off easily for doing maintenance

Back