• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

244 suspension

tog244

I'm gonna copy and paste my volvoforums post to save time because I didn't get much help over there.

I have a 240 with Virgo wheels, 25 mm ipd spacers, and cut springs (2.5 coils in the front and 1.5 in the back). I love the look of this but I didn't pass inspection because my front springs were too short. my initial thought was to get ipd lowering springs even though they're expensive, however, in one of the pictures it looks like the springs are around 2 coils less than the OEM ones so I'm worried that even if I got them, I wouldn't pass inspection. another option I have at my disposal is 2 245 parts cars I can take OEM springs off of and replace the front cut springs with. this would pass inspection but not look how I want it to. I might need to get smaller shocks... I don't quite know so any suggestions?

IPD lowered springs would obviously perform better, however they are around the same height as my cut springs. I failed the inspection because my springs were too short in correlation to my struts. This meant that in the front when the car was jacked up, my springs weren't tight in the suspension as they were shorter than OEM and this made me fail. In my mind, if I got lowered springs I'd be in the same position. I also talked to someone from IPD and he said the aftermarket struts are the same length as OEM so this also wouldn't help me. To solve my problem I need shorter struts (shorter than OEM). Another idea I had was cutting the tube that holds the strut in between where the threads for the strut are and the perch where the spring sits and removing some material before welding it back to make my springs not loose when the weight isn't on it. I have no idea if that would work, I just thought of it.

Never heard of anyone having a inspection failure with IPD springs. I'd go with the IPD springs. You can also buy Lesjofors or B&G lowering springs. They all work well and you can't be failed at inspection for them.

Im in virgina and failed because my springs were loose when the car was jacked up. and i believe the ipd springs are the same length as my cut springs and the struts are the same length too so something doesnt add up. what do you think the most inexpensive solution is?

the cheapest option i think is to grind down the welds on the bottom spring perch and either rewled them myself an inch or so higher, or take them to get welded so i know its as strong as possible. any thoughts on this? i dont think itll make my car too much lower but im a little concerned about the sturdiness of it...

You can make up some small brackets that hold the spring into the lower perch. That way when it hangs it holds the bottom of the spring onto the perch. Or put a limit strap so the strut can only hang an amount that keeps the spring in place.

yeah ive heard of that (pretty sure i know what youre talking about) but i have zip ties holding the bottom of the spring to the perch but that still failed inspection. and what is a limit strap?

although thinking about it... if i can find a place to ziptie/ hose clamp the top of the spring to the top perch that might be all i need.

Back