• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear part of Redblock covered in oil

Fretka

Hey guys!

Title says it all - back end part (transmission side) of my B200FT is covered in oil.
PCV is clean, just checked.
Distributor, that comes on the back of camshaft is now swapped for a cap, new valve cover seal, everything is dry from now on there.
Still, having a huge leak somewhere below the head at the back of engine.
Oil is comming mostly from bellhousing and oil pan.

Blown rear main (crank) seal + oil pan gasket?
If so, is there some kind of legit DIY for these jobs?

Thanks.

Get it really clean, then drive it a modest amount, try to see where it's really coming from.

If it's the RMS, the DIY is to remove the transmission and replace the seal.

If it's the oil pan gasket, the DIY is to remove the pan and replace the gasket. Which isn't all that easy with the motor in the car. I think you can suspend the motor, drop the front crossmember, and then barely have enough room to get the pan out (after unbolting the oil pump).

But try to find out where it's coming from first.

Probably rear main seal, but other possible suspects would include a leak where the oil return line meets the rear of the block; leak at oil pressure sensor.

To find the source you should clean the engine then do a dye test, e.g. Autopro UV gas and oil UV dye test.

Add it, run the engine for awhile then use a UV light while wearing the special glasses to see where the leak is coming from and spreading on to.

I've used it with good results.

There is a relatively small metal guard that goes between the bottom of the engine and transmission. You can remove this and see if oil from the RMS is leaking onto the flywheel.

Back