• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Wagon Project

Roger88

Hi all!,

I'm Roger and from the UK, I also created a thread on volvoforums.org.uk pretty much the same as I am posting here but I thought I should introduce myself and ask you guys too.

I'm new here but always had a love for Volvos, I have just recently bought a 1998 Volvo 940 Wagon LPT (B230FK), I am presuming it has the m90 box with the revised 3rd gear syncro but I am not sure until I get a better look.

I thought I should come here and ask for advice with the direction I am heading with this Volvo, I am aiming for big power and would be good to get some info on recommended setups and items I will need for the build.

The aim is for 500-600bhp so the engine will be getting pulled out and forged rods and pistons with ported 530 head and double valve springs.

Any advice on if I should go aftermarket intake plenum would be helpful, and if anyone knows of a reasonable priced exhaust manifold with T3 fitment would be appreciated as I am struggling a bit to find a selection of exhaust manifolds.

I already have a Link G4 extreme ecu for using on the car so that side is sorted so far.

I will leave it there for now but if anyone has experience or a nice recipe I should aim for and just any helpful information would be much appreciated!.

EDIT: I forgot to say I know about reinforcing the rear frame to prevent twisting and also any information on a good clutch setup will be brill', so far I think it will be a twin plate setup but if anyone has better information that will be a big thumbs up.

Cheers

Roger88

If those are real goals yes, you'll want a plenum. I've back-to-backed a stock b230 intake and a plenum and the difference above 4500rpm is significant. This was with a high flowing 530 head (48/40 valves, heavy port work), tube header blah blah.

If those are real goals yes, you'll want a plenum. I've back-to-backed a stock b230 intake and a plenum and the difference above 4500rpm is significant. This was with a high flowing 530 head (48/40 valves, heavy port work), tube header blah blah.

Thanks for the info, yeah 500-600bhp is a goal I have in mind for this car, I think she deserves it being a lovely shell, being from the UK I can find the plenum but I am still on the hunt for a tube exhaust manifold, I am hoping I will find a swedish one for a good price but time will tell.

When you mean 48/40 valves I am presuming its 48 on the intake and 40 for the exhaust?,

Any help is all appreciated guys.

Cheers

Roger88

Thanks for the info, yeah 500-600bhp is a goal I have in mind for this car, I think she deserves it being a lovely shell, being from the UK I can find the plenum but I am still on the hunt for a tube exhaust manifold, I am hoping I will find a swedish one for a good price but time will tell.

When you mean 48/40 valves I am presuming its 48 on the intake and 40 for the exhaust?,

Any help is all appreciated guys.

Cheers

Roger88

you've got it. With a head that can flow and a decent cam the stock intake can't keep up at higher rpm.

you've got it. With a head that can flow and a decent cam the stock intake can't keep up at higher rpm.

Cool cheers for the help, obviously I have the 530 head but is that still workable with porting, cam and valves opposed to the 531 head I sometimes hear about?

Would you or anyone here have a recommendation on a clutch setup which would be kind-of on the "save money" side?, I know twin plate is probably the way to go but if there is a bit more of a cheaper way I am all ears, again I don't mind if it boils down to having to shell out on a twin plate setup.

Cheers

Roger88

500 to 600hp?

When do you start the LS swap?

No LS here shamefully, but realistically, is 500-600bhp do'able from the late b230 motor? I half know the crank is being put near its limit at that point.

Any help is always appreciated.

Cheers

Roger88

No. 500hp is a pipe dream with a Volvo red block. I think that the limit of what a red block can do is 300hp. That would take a very good turbo, a 4 valve head with very good cams, and all the hopes and dreams you can muster. 300hp is twice what your car makes now, and there is a limit to what you can do with only 2.3 liters and only 4 cyls. Nothing to do with the crank, it's about the basics of the engine.

If you need 500 to 600 hp, you will have to move to a V-8.

No. 500hp is a pipe dream with a Volvo red block. I think that the limit of what a red block can do is 300hp. That would take a very good turbo, a 4 valve head with very good cams, and all the hopes and dreams you can muster. 300hp is twice what your car makes now, and there is a limit to what you can do with only 2.3 liters and only 4 cyls. Nothing to do with the crank, it's about the basics of the engine.

If you need 500 to 600 hp, you will have to move to a V-8.

Dont listen to this guy

I'm planning a 500 whp 2.5 stroker myself. I do scca racing. I just posted a build question thread to zero in kn a few more details (turbo selection etc)

There are guys ( lots of em ) making 300 whp + on lh2.4.

I don't have much to offer on clutch with an m90 box (can m90's really take that kind of power?), but when I was buying my clutch I did talk a bit with TTV. One of their billet flywheels and a Sachs 765 pressure plate might be a good start.

The m90 could probably hold 500 hp if its had the welded 3rd gear mod and a good clutch. But for how long? At that point you're looking at using the Nissan cd0009.

Dont listen to this guy

I did think that "B230 only good for 300bhp" was a bit of a :wtf: haha

I'm planning a 500 whp 2.5 stroker myself. I do scca racing. I just posted a build question thread to zero in kn a few more details (turbo selection etc)

There are guys ( lots of em ) making 300 whp + on lh2.4.

I have seen a penta crank for sale I admit, would the engine still liked to be revved with that crank? also I guess you would have to use different length rods or different height sized pistons?

I don't have much to offer on clutch with an m90 box (can m90's really take that kind of power?), but when I was buying my clutch I did talk a bit with TTV. One of their billet flywheels and a Sachs 765 pressure plate might be a good start.

Cheers for the info, I read somewhere they can take quite a bit of power but have to be a bit gentle with the gear changes especially third gear, would be good to find more people using this box and what power they have got away with/how long it lasted.

The m90 could probably hold 500 hp if its had the welded 3rd gear mod and a good clutch. But for how long? At that point you're looking at using the Nissan cd0009.

Yeah I did see about the 3rd gear mod, my 940 is a 1998 model so supposedly it might have the M90L2, but will not know for definite until I have a better look at the car.

I just looked on that thread about the cd0009 box, looks like a more logical solution long term lol, I admit I don't want to fix/change boxes alot on the 940 once done,

But I have noticed a few vids of Swedish Volvos running the BMW ZF box, and I know I could get a bellhousing adapter kit with flywheel and clutch from ABC Clutches

http://www.abc-clutch.com/portfolio/volvo-b200b230xx-bmw-gearbox-adapter-kit

Would you or any of you guys know if this would be a better route opposed to the CD0009 box swap?

Cheers for all the help again guys!

Roger88

Back