home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #326
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
The true SAAB 900 notchback was the prototype for the convertible. I believe they were made only in either 84 or 85, a one year deal. The "notch" is a 2 door with a trunk as the convertible has. I damn near bought one back in my SAAB days.

The pic is a 4 door turbo, also a rare bird in North America. I'm pretty sure they only offered it here for a single year, again around 84. Plenty of years of 4 door Turbo 900s around the world, but not in the States.
Yep, true. Also rare is the 5 door car! Man... I haven't driven a 900 in a looong time.

Whoops, now we're just SAABing up Tate's thread
Old 10-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #327
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

You two bringing down this thread with your saab stories.

I'll see myself out.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #328
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

on Friday I was at a brewery with the 242 and watched a guy take pictures of it in the parking lot.

When I was in highschool I had a really nice 900 SPG and one time I was pumping gas and a guy just walked by and said "that car is gay"

SAABs just don't get the love
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #329
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

I approve of the Saab stories. They're quirky, interesting cars.

On my drive to work today, I noticed 5th gear really only pops out when I let off the throttle a little, even at light throttle application. I don't really have any idea what's wrong with it, and I don't want to put much more into a transmission that may or may not break at any time. So now I'm casually looking for a TKO 500.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #330
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
on Friday I was at a brewery with the 242 and watched a guy take pictures of it in the parking lot.

When I was in highschool I had a really nice 900 SPG and one time I was pumping gas and a guy just walked by and said "that car is gay"

Quote:

On my drive to work today, I noticed 5th gear really only pops out when I let off the throttle a little, even at light throttle application. I don't really have any idea what's wrong with it, and I don't want to put much more into a transmission that may or may not break at any time. So now I'm casually looking for a TKO 500.

I was just in here for a cheap pun. Saabs are cool.

Why not a GeForce? Bolts on, shifts better, probably the same cost once you figure everything else out.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #331
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
I was just in here for a cheap pun. Saabs are cool.

Why not a GeForce? Bolts on, shifts better, probably the same cost once you figure everything else out.
I wouldn't do a Gforce. If I was staying T5, it would have to be an A5 with a Gforce case. But then the problem is the 2.xx first gear, the 26 spline input shaft, and the cost. I've seen used "rebuilt" ones for sale for ~2300-2800. Add to that the new clutch disk (~$300), new rear end ratio (~$200+$300 service) and that's about $1000 extra over a tko 500. A brand new tko 500 that also bolts on to my Kaplhenke plate is $2450. Plus it has a 3.27 first gear, which is good with my 3.73 rear end. It'll be brand new, cheaper, and still have a higher torque rating than most A5s.

Last edited by t8fanning; 10-18-2017 at 12:28 PM..
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #332
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Is it possible the way you have your boot set up combined with the position of your shift handle -- that tension from the boot is pulling it out of 5th? Mine would occasionally do that in 4th until I made some adjustments. Only did it when the gearset was unloaded. If I was cruising under load (even light), accelerating or decelerating - no problem. But when I eased off the gas to begin slowing down, as I unloaded the tranny, it would slip out of gear.

You've probably already checked that off your list....
Old 10-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #333
t8fanning

I have. That and shifter stops were the first thing I checked. I drove with no boot at all yesterday and it still popped out.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #334
mikezohsix
Board Member

Quote:

I am glad you approve of Saab stories since the Volvos and Saabs are really close relatives, even if no one wants to admit it...

Your description of popping out of gear is the EXACT description that I heard for more than a decade from people with bad pinion gears in their Saabs. (I got into a 25 year "business" starting with Saabs with bad 5 speeds) I'm no expert on the T5, but I'd happily bet a night of drinking beer (no loser bet) that one of your shafts is walking back and forth in the case. I upped my bet when I read that you've eliminated something pushing the shifter around and/or incorrectly set stops.
- it's a driving car now with a 350hp all aluminum LS1 with T56 six speed manual transmission, and it hauls ass! Check the for sale section if you're interested in the car - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=235015.
mikezohsix@yahoo.com
mikezohsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #335
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezohsix View Post
I am glad you approve of Saab stories since the Volvos and Saabs are really close relatives, even if no one wants to admit it...

Your description of popping out of gear is the EXACT description that I heard for more than a decade from people with bad pinion gears in their Saabs. (I got into a 25 year "business" starting with Saabs with bad 5 speeds) I'm no expert on the T5, but I'd happily bet a night of drinking beer (no loser bet) that one of your shafts is walking back and forth in the case. I upped my bet when I read that you've eliminated something pushing the shifter around and/or incorrectly set stops.
That's exactly why I took the transmission apart in the first place. Before I swapped to a hydraulic clutch, second gear would pop out on poorly rev-matched downshifts. When I took apart the trans, I found the counter shaft had some play. So I got a heavy duty bearing support and reshimmed the counter shaft. It no longer has any play. I also reshimmed the input shaft bearing so there is no play in the main shaft either. Since then second gear has stopped popping out, but now fifth gear does.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:33 PM   #336
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

I'm gonna have to say it's weak keyway installation. Try new ones, I guess.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:53 PM   #337
t8fanning

A few posts above, when I had my transmission out the second time, I installed new fifth gear keys, springs, and synchros.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #338
t8fanning

I got fed up with my old T5, and happened to be in Arizona for thanksgiving where I picked this up:

It's a TKO 500. I wish it had the torque rating of the 600, but I really like that I won't have to change the clutch or rear end ratio. Plus who am I kidding? I won't make 500 ft lbs of torque, especially on this turbo. I also cut the input bearing retainer to work with my hydraulic throw out bearing. It's pretty much bolt in. I just have to swap output yokes. Maybe the transmission crossmember will need modification, but hopefully it doesn't.

Anyway, I'm going to put it in soon, but noticed that my transmission doesn't have the normal breather. In pictures I've seen online, the TKO breather sticks up a ways and would probably hit the tunnel. I have a 0.375" inch hole that I need to do something with. Does anyone have a good idea what I can use for a low profile breather so junk won't get in the transmission?

Old 11-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #339
cwdodson88
Board Member

A press in vacuum 90* vacuum nipple?

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #340
hiperfauto
The Librarian

What about one of these rear end breather fittings?

https://www.ebay.com/i/191563065897?chn=ps
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #341
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
A press in vacuum 90* vacuum nipple?
That's a good idea for clearance, I still need something to prevent junk from getting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
What about one of these rear end breather fittings?

https://www.ebay.com/i/191563065897?chn=ps
That's a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think about diff breathers.

I'll probably get something like this. It's low profile and seems like it would work fine.

Breather filter
Old 12-01-2017, 01:20 AM   #342
cwdodson88
Board Member

I was thinking a loop of hose, maybe throw a fuel filter on the end clamped to something where space is available.

But both other options look good.

The plastic vent looks great since it’s push in so you won’t have to tap that hole.
But the profile of that thread in one looks like it’ll sit flush or below the rest of the trans.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:38 AM   #343
t8fanning

I don't know why I didn't think of this right off the bat, but the 1/8" filter I use on my boost controller works perfectly. I didn't even have to tap the hole.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #344
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
They were, however, Bjorn from Jets!

Speaking of that TKO, any idea the HP loss in the baby? I'm sure a red block isn't going to break those internals.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:09 AM   #345
t8fanning

Quote:

Speaking of that TKO, any idea the HP loss in the baby? I'm sure a red block isn't going to break those internals.
No idea. It feels like there's a little more drag just spinning the output shaft in neutral than the T5 had. Who knows? Hopefully my redblock won't break those internals, but I wouldn't be mad if it did.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #346
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Couple of buddies years ago who did some before/after chassis dyno work with just transmission swaps - these behind 350ish whp Camaros and Mustangs. Compared to T5, at peak about 10WHP less with the TKO/3550's and about 20WHP less with the T56 variant 6 speeds. Appears a lot of that additional 25 (TKO) to 50 (T56) lbs. is rotational weight.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #347
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
I don't know why I didn't think of this right off the bat, but the 1/8" filter I use on my boost controller works perfectly. I didn't even have to tap the hole.
Suggest some Loctite "green" bearing retainer for your filter/breather. Might feel OK now, but with temps & resultant expansion, it would be free to move. That is, unless you have an interference fit.
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #348
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

It's a pipe thread fitting
Old 12-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #349
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Couple of buddies years ago who did some before/after chassis dyno work with just transmission swaps - these behind 350ish whp Camaros and Mustangs. Compared to T5, at peak about 10WHP less with the TKO/3550's and about 20WHP less with the T56 variant 6 speeds. Appears a lot of that additional 25 (TKO) to 50 (T56) lbs. is rotational weight.
That's pretty significant. Looks like I'll have to turn up the boost.

Quote:
Suggest some Loctite "green" bearing retainer for your filter/breather. Might feel OK now, but with temps & resultant expansion, it would be free to move. That is, unless you have an interference fit.
Yes, thanks. Luckily it's a pipe thread, so it's in there tight. I'm not worried about it coming out at all.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:54 PM   #350
t8fanning

So I set the throwout bearing and put the TKO in without any drama really.

However, when I tried to put the transmission crossmember in, I realized I have some work ahead of me. The TKO doesn't fit the crossmember I made for the T5 at all.

The mount hits the flanges on the crossmember, so the transmission isn't sitting on the crossmember properly. Additionally, the mount is farther toward the rear than the T5s was.

So I'll have to rework my crossmember. I will need to take some height out of the triangle section in the middle, and cut out and rebox it so I can mount the plate with holes a little farther back.

Any ideas what others have done for TKO crossmembers?