• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT Injector Upgrade Recommendation?

Hello All,

Lots of conflicting information out there on which injector should be used on a modified B230FT (1994 engine). The current injector is the stock one, a 0 280 150 804 which is a low impedance (2.2 Ohm), model with 312 cc (30 lb/hr) @ 3 bar (43.5 psi).

The engine set up will be as follows;
1. IPD Turbo cam w/adjustable timing gear
2. stock AMM
3. cone air filter with cold air intake
4. stock intercooler
5. stock 13C turbo with ported manifold mounting
6. boost increased to ~0.9 bar (~13 psi) (will probably add manual boost controller)
7. stock Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)
8. either 2.5" or 3" exhaust system from turbo to bumper (recommendations as to which is better?)

The engine is not ready for install as yet so I have no current point of reference regarding the performance using the stock injectors. My assumption is that based on the above engine upgrades an injector that flows around 350 cc (~34 lb/hr) @ 3 bar (43.5 psi) would be sufficient.

Two Bosch injectors I believe (key word), will work would be;

0 280 155 811 - 12.2 Ohm, 354 cc (~34 lb/hr) @ 3 bar (43.5 psi)
OR
0 280 155 830 - 12.0 Ohm, 350 cc (~34 lb/hr) @ 3 bar (43.5 psi)

Somewhere I read that a T5 injector (model / year unknown) would work. BUT it is a 15.7 Ohm impedance which may not be good for the ECU. Bosch number is 0 280 155 766, flow is 350 cc (~34 lb/hr) @ 3 bar (43.5 psi).

All the above specifications from (Witch Hunter);

https://witchhunter.com/injectordata1.php

Thoughts / feedback appreciated.

FWD 5 cylinder turbo injectors are slightly larger and high impedance so you will simply bypass the resistor pack. 13psi on a 13c should be within the limits of stock injectors and FWD 5 cylinder turbo injectors.

stock injectors are fine for you at that power level. If you feel the need, have them cleaned and flowed.

why? those are nearly the same size injector as you have already. The only difference really is that you have to bypass the resistor pack and they are potentially the incorrect spray pattern for your engine.

Hi

These injectors have a healthy fan base for upgrading the stock LH fuel system to take on more boost/power:
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/bosch-550cc-spridare-117.html

Since they are from a newer car you need some adapters to correct the length:
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/spridarforlangare-anslutning-14mm.html

And yet another for the correct connector:
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/adapter-ev1-till-ev6-uscar.html

A little fiddly for sure but the injectors behave perfectly toghether with the LH.

YS
jaybee

Hello RvolvoR,

I recognise that the difference in flow between the 831 and the stock 804 is small but the spray pattern is better. A friend is running 831s on his modified turbo with ~10 psi of boost and likes them but he doesn't have an Air Fuel Ratio meter to monitor what is happening so I wonder if he is going lean under full boost. Hence my leaning towards more cc/min (lb/hr) injector. Decisions, decisions! :-)

Hello mrjaybreeze,

Interesting solution, I'll need to think about that one.

Hello Chumley360,

I'm curious, the 766 injectors you installed have a 15.7 Ohm impedance, did this affect your ECU (mine is version 2.4), or did you do some impedance matching? What mods do you have and how has the fueling been with the 766s? Last question, do you have an Air Fuel Ratio meter to monitor what is happening?

Great feedback from all of you gives me lots of ideas to ponder. :-)

What kind of evidence other than a placebo ?he likes them? for being better for the application do you ha e?

What kind of evidence other than a placebo ?he likes them? for being better for the application do you ha e?

I had some cleaned T5 red injectors on my LH2.4 swapped 240. The idle quality was much better when compared to the older stock injectors. The injectors also supplied enough fuel for 15psi from a 13c.

The cleaned T5 injectors were a few bucks less than getting the stock ones cleaned at WitchHunter. It allowed me to just swap injectors and keep on going. No downtime waiting for them to be cleaned.

As far as improper fuel cone angle and spray pattern. Yeah, there may be something there. Does it really matter on a stock-ish setup... I don't think so. Split port engines with a dual-spray pattern injector are much more susceptible to fuel spray patterns. Rotating the injector in a fuel injected single cylinder can create some significant idle and starting issues.

Hello All,

Once again, thank you for the feedback and insight.

I've ordered a set of 0 280 155 766 (aka White Top / T5), injectors from 'mblue240'. For you techies these flow 350 cc/min @ 3 bar (33.5 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi for those of you not part of the metric world :-)

It will be a few months before I have the engine ready - too many conflicting priorities.

RvolvoR - regarding the placebo comment 'he likes them'. You would be surprised how good some 'seat of the pants' tuners are. Checking tail pipe colour, or cutting the ignition after a hard run on the highway and checking the spark plug colour can tell you quite a bit about how an engine is performing. For a modified turbo application, personally I would prefer more definitive data such as a AFR gauge reading. Regarding the latter, I've started to look around for 'a good one', probably a combo boost / AFR gauge.

Bit late to the party here but the stock 804 injectors were perfectly fine when I still had them in my 940 with a 16T at 0,9bar (+ TLAO chips and KL intercooler).
I've since swapped to the 766's (that you ordered too), because one of the stock ones was leaking and they have almost the same flow.

The 804 have a flow of 337cc on paper and the 766 have 350cc, so not much of a difference (source http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm#BOSCH )

Both read good AFR in my car.

Hello Fa182,

Better late than never to the party. :-)

Hello klr142,

Good point - I thought I would err slightly on the larger size.

To all,

I have some major renovations to do on our home and this will unfortunately delay the Volvo project for at least 2 months. I hope to update the forum before the end of the calendar year.

Running Bosch Gen III white composite body 0 280 155 811 (0 280 155 737, 0 280 155 868).

36 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi
380 cc/min @ 3 Bars

Currently running at 39.15 psi (2.7 Bars)

34 lb/hr @ 39.15 psi
360 cc/min @ 2.7 Bars

This is on 1988 765 w/ B230FT and LH2.2.

Hello All,

Once again, thank you for the feedback and insight.

I've ordered a set of 0 280 155 766 (aka White Top / T5), injectors from 'mblue240'. For you techies these flow 350 cc/min @ 3 bar (33.5 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi for those of you not part of the metric world :-)

It will be a few months before I have the engine ready - too many conflicting priorities.

RvolvoR - regarding the placebo comment 'he likes them'. You would be surprised how good some 'seat of the pants' tuners are. Checking tail pipe colour, or cutting the ignition after a hard run on the highway and checking the spark plug colour can tell you quite a bit about how an engine is performing. For a modified turbo application, personally I would prefer more definitive data such as a AFR gauge reading. Regarding the latter, I've started to look around for 'a good one', probably a combo boost / AFR gauge.

I am curious how these 766 are working out for you.

Hello smoothdurban,

Thank you for your email.

I'm embarrassed to say that the engine swap is far from complete. Too many other projects competing for my time. I hope to get back at the engine next week. The head (530) is back from the machine shop (skim and valve grind). The plan is to match the ports to the gaskets and to the manifolds. Also need to pull the pan to inspect the bottom end.

The Corona Virus may throw a wrench (pardon the pun), into my plans here in Nova Scotia (you're in LaSalle, I used to live in Windsor / Riverside). Fingers crossed that by the end April I'll have it up and running.

I plan to share a detailed update with the forum when it is ready.

Last edited:
Hello smoothdurban,

Thank you for your email.

I'm embarrassed to say that the engine swap is far from complete. Too many other projects competing for my time. I hope to get back at the engine next week. The head (530) is back from the machine shop (skim and valve grind). The plan is to match the ports to the gaskets and to the manifolds. Also need to pull the pan to inspect the bottom end.

The Corona Virus may throw a wrench (pardon the pun), into my plans here in Nova Scotia (you're in LaSalle, I used to live in Windsor / Riverside). Fingers crossed that by the end April I'll have it up and running.

I plan to share a detailed update with the forum when it is ready.

Riverside huh? Small world. The reason why I was asking was I installed these on mine and sometimes I get super rich AFR?s and I have a similar setup. I did find a small boost leak around the throttle plenum shaft but I was curious what type of performance you were seeing.

You can/should leave the head and intake alone at the gasket area. The restrictive spots are in the bowl area. I do all that work prior to cutting the seats and putting the ground valves back in the head.

Back