• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Shift Lever Bushing Disintegrated

iamrolling

My AW71's shifter pin fell out along with the bushing. I was able to recover the pin, but the bushing is unusable. If I put a new e-clip on the pin, will I be able to drive it for a few days with no bushing? Or should I just leave it in park until I can order one? Is there any commonly available part that I can use so I don't have to order a bushing and wait for it?

kyote, that worked. I knew I was saving that last inch of Barricade MPI for a reason. I'll explain what I did.

0. ONLY LEAVE IT LIKE THIS UNTIL YOU GET THE NEW BUSHING, OR YOU WILL PROBABLY LOSE THE PIN ON THE ROAD SOMEWHERE.
1. Cut off 8.5mm of 5/16" or 8mm fuel hose with an inner braid.
2. Slice it down to the fabric, and peel off the outer layer.
3. Put some lithium grease inside the tube, and insert it where the bushing would go.
4. Swing the shifter arm over the tube and insert the pin.
5. Install circlip.

It's still a little hard to pull the shifter because it's very slightly loose in the bore, but it feels like it will survive until I get the new bushing.

My bushings arrived, and they sure are large compared to the openings they're supposed to go into. The FAQs suggest soaking them in hot water to make them more pliable, but are there any other tricks in case that isn't sufficient? What are the odds on destroying the things trying to install them? Should I lubricate them with something like lithium grease, or will that cause them to rapidly decompose?

My bushings arrived, and they sure are large compared to the openings they're supposed to go into. The FAQs suggest soaking them in hot water to make them more pliable, but are there any other tricks in case that isn't sufficient? What are the odds on destroying the things trying to install them? Should I lubricate them with something like lithium grease, or will that cause them to rapidly decompose?

Warm them up, spray the bushing and the hole in the linkage with Windex, use something like a straight blade screwdriver that doesn't have any sharp edges to collapse the bushing towards the hole in the middle. They will go in.

That worked perfectly. It wasn't even a fight. Also, the improvised fuel hose bushing wasn't even scored when I removed it. Gates makes a good fuel hose.

Back