• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Does anybody have an exploded diagram or pictures of an M47 shifter bushing assembly?

thebornotaku

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hi All,

Months ago, the shifter on my M47 was complete garbage, so I dropped some coin and picked up a set of bronze bushings. Those tightened it up a bit, but it's still considerably looser and ****tier than either of my other cars (09 VW / 74 VW) with stock shifters and it's also worse than any other decent condition 240 shifter I've felt.

I do remember Tylor mentioning that I was missing some part from my shifter when we did the bushing swap, I think it was a cup or spacer or something meant to ensure that the bushings are pressed against the pivot ball and keep the shifter tight. I still get a good few inches of sideways travel while in gear. For first and second, I have to push the shifter into my leg and for reverse I have to scoot over a little bit. I know a short throw shifter/mod will help, but I'd rather get it all nice and tight before I go messing with stuff.

Does anybody have an exploded diagram or pictures of all of the bushing components? My cage bushings are good and the bronze bushings are all good too, but it's still sloppy. Thanks.

M47 equipped 240's used different rubber dampers after mid '91. Make sure you're getting the right ones.

http://www.volvowholesalepartsdirect.com/a/Volvo_1993_24023l-Fuel-Injected4DRS-WO-SR/_51529_5695381/Shift-control-M47/GR-57645.html

-'91? part #1232605

1232605.jpg

'91?- part#3520197

3520197.jpg

it could also be at the trans mission end. the swivel ball might been warn causing slop in the pins, this happened to mine. my shifter felt great back and forth, but side to side had a couple inches of slop

I covered this in an earlier post..... most of the slop, aside from the obvious worn cup and pivot bushings comes from the two dowel pins in the coupler assembly (item 12).

Once you get rid of the linkage slop, and still have side-to-side slop, it's the shifter plate in the transmission, in particular the return spring that is rivited to the plate, and can only be had from Volvo with a new plate. Also replace the detent springs.

Back