• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Operation Get Out of its Own Way

Thought it would be a fun project to add a turbo onto my 1990 Volvo 240. I've replace most the suspension and placed a larger pump into the vehicle recently. I also replaced the Computer and Dizzy with ones out of a Volvo 740 Turbo. Also larger injectors out of a Volvo 850 Turbo. Now it's finally time to add the + Turbo to it.

kpws.jpg

j0ls.jpg

1erw.jpg

lx0r.jpg

vydh.jpg

ums7.jpg

Ebay intercooler and black anodized universal piping kit. Using the air inlet openings to get the tubes into the engine compartment.
bcxg.jpg

bcj3.jpg

Placed a 5/8" hose 1/2-14 NPT fitting. Just glad the drill bits I used were sharp and that I had a good Tap. Still took quite a bit of time to do.
llkn.jpg

Had to Remove the Intake Manifold to place a new Oil Separator on it. I just couldn't get to the heat core hose above it.

Tell me more about how you did the intercooler, I am stuck between doing that and getting an NPR.

Like which one you bought, size, dimensions etc?

Heyoooo!

I'm in Lebanon. Lemme know if you need any parts. I'm parting out my +T'd wagon.

I been able to put more time on the Volvo in the few days. The oil pan is mounted back on, the turbo drain pipe is ready for a new hose I will placing on it. I was able to place the new T for the oil line to turbo.
kbxx.jpg

inrl.jpg

o04a.jpg

This was sitting on my front door yesterday. 3" universal 409 Stainless kit.
snqk.jpg

So I went ahead and worked on making the down pipe. Can't believe how easy it was to make a down pipe out of a U bend.
rnvq.jpg

I'll be taking my new down pipe to get the end flared with a floating 3 bolt flange at a local muffler shop.

k4gp.jpg

Cut some intercooler pipe and hose tonight. I have the driver side figured out. I the passenger side I have a reducer 2" to 2.5" coming in the mail. Once I mount my intercooler bracket the intercooler setup will be done.

Last edited:
Worked on making a 3" exhaust yesterday. I wish I had some welding skills before I started the project. I had coworker weld up the downpipe and then I gave Adam at S&M Performance a visit to weld on the flex pipe. I may try practicing welding on the left over scrape for the fun of it.

The exhaust has Catco 3" stainless cat, magnaflow chamber muffler. I added a Wideband to it too yesterday. The car is much quieter but has a deep tone to it.

Looks nice!
2 things, the AW70 will not survive long with boost, and a chambered muffler is usually a no-no on a turbo'd car.

It's too restrictive. You want something like a Dynomax UltraFlo.

The idea is to have as little restriction as possible after the exhaust turbine.

Yeah I understand but at this point I was just looking for something a bit more quiet since I will be driving this car fairly often. I'm sure even if the magnaflow 3" muffler is more restrictive than the Dynomax UltraFlo it can't be as bad as the none mandrel bends and duel mufflers on the stock system,lol. I'll keep this in mind in the future though.

A turbo does a lot of muffling, a simple "straight through" or "turbo style" muffler will quiet it down a lot, without the back pressure created by a chambered muffler. I'm talking about a muffler that looks like what you've got, but has a piece of perf tube connecting the inlet and outlet with deadening material around it, not a fart can style.

Back