• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

You worried about those ITBs being too big? 12x 42mm is a lot of throttle body for a 400hp engine! Think you need some bigger cams for this beast :)

Not worried at all :) they are the exact same size as the stock intake runners. These ITBs are used on a lot of other cars with around 2L 4 cyl engines, this is basically that x3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pzuEyn4WgI That one even made 450hp with 50mm diameter BMW M3 itbs.

We'll see... you might find you don't have enough throttle control. Maybe a nice cam on the throttle linkage would cure it. A 150hp 4 cylinder doesn't need as much fine throttle control as a 450hp v12! You can be full throttle all the time with only 150hp...

About the sump, I meant how thick is it from the flange to the bottom at its most shallow part over the subframe?

I measured it, it's about 45mm between the flange and the underside of the flattest part of the sump.

Started with the headers for the other side. 1 more tube to go but then it was dark outside. Tomorrow another day.

Last edited:
Nice, looks like theres enough room to work around the oil filter housing. Did you have to use a cheater bend or is it all full radius?

You sir are a artist. I swear these volvos builds are the best on the web.

Thank you! This site has quite a few great projects going on

love to watch this thread

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that with 12 throttle bodies at WOT you're going to need an oxygen supply, since they'll be sucking all air available in a 10' radius around the car. Very sweet fab work! :)

Thanks! I'll add a scuba tank behind the driver's seat then :p

Nice, looks like theres enough room to work around the oil filter housing. Did you have to use a cheater bend or is it all full radius?

Yeah there is just enough room for a full radius to go on there. I will have to take the studs out though to take the manifold off the car... Or remove the filter housing, but I can't find that gasket anywhere for some reason. It's a full radius, I did have to make the transition piece from oval to round a little shorter there to get some more clearance. There is no way to have a nice transition and bend there without having to remove the studs to disassemble it though. Just not enough room.

The headers are looking good! I had to switch to bolts in order to remove mine from the car, and even then it needed a little fender bashing to make it possible.

Looks tight around that steering gear but looks like you've got it handled.

The mercedes dealer is almost sure to have the rubber o ring gasket thing for the oil filter housing, you can pretty much order a complete m120 in parts from them :p.
I'm kind of leaning towards an oil filter relocation (may be even forced to), but I kind of like the check valve that is in the oem housing.

The headers are looking good! I had to switch to bolts in order to remove mine from the car, and even then it needed a little fender bashing to make it possible.

Looks tight around that steering gear but looks like you've got it handled.

Thanks! It should be able to take them off without bashing the fenders (I hope). There is a bit of a lack of space there around the column, but it never gets closer than about 1" to the alu shaft, so it shouldn't melt anything.

The mercedes dealer is almost sure to have the rubber o ring gasket thing for the oil filter housing, you can pretty much order a complete m120 in parts from them :p.
I'm kind of leaning towards an oil filter relocation (may be even forced to), but I kind of like the check valve that is in the oem housing.

Yeah, I'll stop by the Merc dealer some day for that gasket. It makes life so much easier to just take the housing off when removing the headers. I thought about relocating it too, but in the Volvo it fit perfectly between the chassis rails and it will be the easiest car in the world to change the oil filter on when keeping it.

And where did you find those Camber plates?
They came with the cheap coilovers I'm using initially. They are from Classicswede.

In other news, the last runner for the headers is tacked together. The intake is coming along as well.

The transition between the stock intake runners and the 42mm i.d. tubing (same as the itb) is perfect in the location where I cut them off. Just have to trim a small bit off from the stock casting to make it round. The forward most runner is a lot smaller than all the others due to hood clearance issues in the Merc. As I put the engine in as low as it would go, I have more clearance and can fix the issue. There is still a very small restriction in it compared to the others, but it's pretty much negligable now.

Last edited:
So cool. Is there any choice of aftermarket camshafts for this engine? I can imagine you'd like something a bit more aggressive.

So cool. Is there any choice of aftermarket camshafts for this engine? I can imagine you'd like something a bit more aggressive.

No there isn't really anything available for this engine. There were some other versions of it like a 7.3L stroker version, but those are extremely rare.

This will be wonderfully sick and wrong when finished!
The sound will be amazing.

Thanks! I can't wait to hear it too. It'll sound like a proper V12, like in the video M.H. Yount linked too.

And that makes 12 too. Welded on a last straight piece with the same inner and outer diameter as the itb to get a good fit with a silicone coupler. I cut the silicone couplers to size by putting on a hose clamp at the right length and then cut along that. Gives a perfectly nice straight cut.

Last edited:
Back