• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is an AC swap from a GM or Ford Possible?

SanDiegoVolvo

Hi everyone, I'm new to this community and new to Volvo's. I just purchased a 1990 240 DL. The car is in pretty good condition and while I'd like to slap on a big turbo, it drives impressively especially for an older car. My problem with the car is that the AC does not blow cold air, and I can't stand being drenched in sweat especially when I wear a suit to work everyday. I had the car diagnosed today it turns out that the AC condenser has a large leak and therefore needs replacement. After reading up on the volvo AC system, I've heard that the AC system is weak compared to other cars and even with the AC running properly, it performs poorly in cooling off the car . I was wondering if it's at all possible to swap a GM or Ford AC system into the 240. My friends with mustangs and rangers have ridiculously cold AC systems, and I'd like the same for my 240 Is this possible, and if so would I have to get a complete AC system from a GM or Ford, or do I just need the AC pump, compressor and condenser? Thank you all for your input.

William in San Diego

The largest issue with the afterthought designed Volvo system is the blower motor. It moves less air than is really needed for cooling but you will find that the heat in this Swedish designed car is much more than adequate. Then there is the evaporator, both of which are buried in the dash. That is really what needs replacing and there are a couple aftermarket suppliers that make replacement systems but they are very expensive. Not sure that a Ford/GM system unit can be grafted on.

Making do with what you have you can replace the condenser with the latest high efficiency units which will make a significant contribution to the system capacity. See eBay. I got this 16"x23" inch into my '81 Bertone with only minor modifications. Other sizes available. http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-AC-Univ...-8-CNFP1623-/181701114693?hash=item2a4e3afb45

The expansion valve will need to be replaced after the 25 years.

And of course, conversion to R134a.

That will give you an adequate system.

Last edited:
If you put an auxiliary fan in front of the A/C condenser that is wired to operate when the A/C compressor is running, you will notice a dramatic increase in A/C performance.

Volvo made significant upgrades to the 240 AC system for 1993. If you can find a '93 parts car locally or in the junkyard, pull the entire AC system as an upgrade. I'm doing this in my '81. Downside is that you'll have to pull the HVAC unit under the dash (heater core, evaporator, blower fan, etc) but you'll get a modern-ish GM style system that was designed for R134a.

In the process of pulling old stuff out and replacing with a new Classic Auto Air system. Looks like it's going to fit and work well. But - have to write a check.

The largest issue with the afterthought designed Volvo system is the blower motor. It moves less air than is really needed for cooling but you will find that the heat in this Swedish designed car is much more than adequate. Then there is the evaporator, both of which are buried in the dash. That is really what needs replacing and there are a couple aftermarket suppliers that make replacement systems but they are very expensive. Not sure that a Ford/GM system unit can be grafted on.

Making do with what you have you can replace the condenser with the latest high efficiency units which will make a significant contribution to the system capacity. See eBay. I got this 16"x23" inch into my '81 Bertone with only minor modifications. Other sizes available. http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-AC-Univ...-8-CNFP1623-/181701114693?hash=item2a4e3afb45

The expansion valve will need to be replaced after the 25 years.

And of course, conversion to R134a.

That will give you an adequate system.

Hi what kind of modifications were needed to make this condenser fit and how much of an improvement did it make? Thank you

I agree that's one thing that American cars and trucks do right, is the AC. It's the only thing I'm jealous of when I ride with my friends in their American cars.

Hi what kind of modifications were needed to make this condenser fit and how much of an improvement did it make? Thank you

No modifications needed for the later 240 system, except, a few wires that need to be added. It is all bolt in and obviously, looks factory installed because the body itself requires no changes whatsoever to install the later system. I have an AC system out of a 1992 240 that I just pulled 2 days ago. Volvo upgraded to a completely different AC system in the 240 in 1991. You missed it by one year with your car choice. The only difference between the 1991/92 system and the 93 system was the condenser and compressor were changed to run R-134 refrigerant. The 91/92 system gets just as cold, or colder than the 93 system due to the better heat capacity R-12 refrigerant. R-12 was being phased out by all manufacturers by 93. I wouldn't bother with R-134. There is a much better refrigerant out now that out performs both R-12 and R-134, is cheaper than either of them and is available to anyone, licensed or not. PM me if you are interested in buying a complete late model AC system. It isn't all that expensive to ship to you in San Diego. Duder bought his system from me and had it shipped to him.

Last edited:

I had to cut the attachment panel a half inch down its length. No big deal with an air driven cut-off wheel. I also had to drill a 1" hole in the side panel with a step drill. Again, no big deal. Had to have the two hose made and added the third pressure hose just for grins. Less than $100 at NAPA for all three.

If I were to do it over again I probably would have ordered a 16x22" which would have eliminated the panel cut-off.

The car is still in restoration so I won't know the affect for a couple weeks. The mentioned pusher fan was an original feature on this car.

Condenser is a relatively easy job assuming you have the ability to pull a vacuum on the system and it holds. I'd start with that first and see how well it works for you. If you're adventurous, you could look into hc12a or a similar hydrocarbon blend instead of r134a. Most people will advise against this, so do your own research first, and ensure your system can hold a vacuum. I retrofitted an older VW to r134a and the result was garbage. Swapped for hc12a and it blows decently cold now. YMMV caveat emptor etc

edit:

http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202992
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=site:turbobricks.com+hc12a

Last edited:
Back