home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #26
Nagrom
Board Member
 
Nagrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF
Default

I think I responded to your first thread.

At this point I have to say that all of this has been discussed ad nauseum. I was able to do literally everything under my car with zero past experience. I did all my research first. I found out everything I need to know on this website. All our questions about these cars were answered 20+ years ago. I find beauty in that. It's reassuring.

Put some work in dude, can't be spoon-fed.


If you want that much drop it's either coil overs or cut springs. You aren't getting coil overs so just cut the springs. If you're cutting the springs I wouldn't even bother replacing the shocks and struts the ride will be bad.
Nagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #27
James M
Bored member
 
James M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Davis, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom View Post
I think I responded to your first thread.

At this point I have to say that all of this has been discussed ad nauseum. I was able to do literally everything under my car with zero past experience. I did all my research first. I found out everything I need to know on this website. All our questions about these cars were answered 20+ years ago. I find beauty in that. It's reassuring.

Put some work in dude, can't be spoon-fed.


If you want that much drop it's either coil overs or cut springs. You aren't getting coil overs so just cut the springs. If you're cutting the springs I wouldn't even bother replacing the shocks and struts the ride will be bad.
Was gonna argue about the ride effect of cut springs but someone already did In 2010.

Really though all the info is out there, including discussions about the effects of cutting springs or the way to get X drop in height effectively.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #28
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom View Post
I think I responded to your first thread.

At this point I have to say that all of this has been discussed ad nauseum. I was able to do literally everything under my car with zero past experience. I did all my research first. I found out everything I need to know on this website. All our questions about these cars were answered 20+ years ago. I find beauty in that. It's reassuring.

Put some work in dude, can't be spoon-fed.


If you want that much drop it's either coil overs or cut springs. You aren't getting coil overs so just cut the springs. If you're cutting the springs I wouldn't even bother replacing the shocks and struts the ride will be bad.
I was told by a guy at IPD that touring shocks and struts and their spings with 1 or so coils off would be good ride for that much of a drop, Is he wrong?
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #29
Nagrom
Board Member
 
Nagrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF
Default

This is probably the first video I stumbled upon during my research. It pursued me to do everything correctly, but this might be your best bet.
https://youtu.be/DW99wvI_R6w
Nagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #30
James M
Bored member
 
James M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Davis, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom View Post
This is probably the first video I stumbled upon during my research. It pursued me to do everything correctly, but this might be your best bet.
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/DW99wvI_R6w[/VIDEO]
If you don't **** it you'll be fine
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #31
Nagrom
Board Member
 
Nagrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92White240 View Post
I was told by a guy at IPD that touring shocks and struts and their spings with 1 or so coils off would be good ride for that much of a drop, Is he wrong?
No offense to IPD but I'm sure the guy selling you the thing you're buying says it will be great.

I'm sure it would drop the car that much, but how would it take a corner?
Nagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:10 PM   #32
Nagrom
Board Member
 
Nagrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
If your trying to embed the video it no worko
Yeah couldn't figure that out, I just linked it lol
Nagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:15 PM   #33
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92White240 View Post
I was told by a guy at IPD that touring shocks and struts and their spings with 1 or so coils off would be good ride for that much of a drop, Is he wrong?
Ya know, thanks for everyone that has replied and helped me, beared with me as I'm new. I'm just going to save up and buy IPD lowering parts. It's my daily and firdt car, I don't want to do anything thats gonna be unpractical or mess up my suspension. 1.75/1.25 is low enough to not have much wheel gap.
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:17 PM   #34
Nagrom
Board Member
 
Nagrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF
Default

Take it slow, get everything you need together first.
I used FCPeuro for mostly everything cause of their lifetime warranty. I'm a firm believer of "do it nice, don't do it twice"
I'm a newbie too, but when you present yourself as well informed and researched the community is much more responsive.
Imagine you've logged into this website almost every day for the last 15 years and there's at least a thread a week titled "hOw Do I lOwER mY tWO foRtY" but yours is the newest one

Last edited by Nagrom; 05-09-2020 at 11:26 PM..
Nagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:34 PM   #35
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom View Post
Take it slow, get everything you need together first.
I used FCPeuro for mostly everything cause of their lifetime warranty. I'm a firm believer of "do it nice, don't do it twice"
I'm a newbie too, but when you present yourself as well informed and researched the community is much more responsive.
Imagine you've logged into this website almost every day for the last 15 years and there's at least a thread a week titled "hOw Do I lOwER mY tWO foRtY" but yours is the newest one

Yea I totally understand lol. And yea, I've got the panhard bar already, just gonna piece together all the shocks/struts/ then springs as I get the money for them
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #36
Nagrom
Board Member
 
Nagrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92White240 View Post
Yea I totally understand lol. And yea, I've got the panhard bar already, just gonna piece together all the shocks/struts/ then springs as I get the money for them
Springs pop up on the forum all the time, just wait for a pair. I'm thinking about switching to overload springs in the rear, so I might be listing a rear set of lowering springs soon even. Everyone is always doing something new and passing the old along.

I recommend the front suspension upgrade kit on FCP. All new tie rods and ball joints and poly bushings make such a big difference.
Nagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:15 AM   #37
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom View Post
Springs pop up on the forum all the time, just wait for a pair. I'm thinking about switching to overload springs in the rear, so I might be listing a rear set of lowering springs soon even. Everyone is always doing something new and passing the old along.

I recommend the front suspension upgrade kit on FCP. All new tie rods and ball joints and poly bushings make such a big difference.
Alright, as I said I'm probably gonna build up the parts over a bit, so I'll put up a wanted post and watch for em, If I have everything else before I can get all 4 I'll just buy em new whenever they go on sale. Thanks for the help!
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #38
classicswede
Volvo upgrades
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Wales
Default

There are a lot of lowering spring option other than the basic 40mm lowering springs you see about
https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Coil_...5_3297993.aspx
__________________
http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:57 AM   #39
FreeEMSFred
Board Member
 
FreeEMSFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kiwiland
Default

@RedwoodChair - I had my cut-spring-virginity taken the other day in a 240 GLT sedan, poor thing had been robbed of good front sway bar and steering wheel and had a coil cut off the front springs and they were half out of the struts. Quality work. I turned me off from the curiosity I previously had on the topic. I'm not in the raise the lowered category yet, but I'm in your corner when it comes to chopped springs, for sure! NO!
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.