home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
Steve Beswick
Board Member

Default Turbo cam in NA b230f?

Would I get a noticeable benefit from putting a 91 740 turbo cam in my 1994 NA 940? Slotted cams are few and far between in the junkyard.
Steve Beswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
kyote
Living The Dream

Allegedly more Low End Grunt, anything is better than the M cam.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
spock345
Board Member

It helps a bit with low end torque. Kind of wakes the engine up off the line. It won't fix the problem with the M where it doesn't like anywhere above 4K.

Last edited by spock345; 07-10-2020 at 05:32 PM..
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

UK market 740 turbo would have an A cam so much better than the M cam. If US market were fobbed off with the T cam then its not worth bothering with

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
shoestring
Board Member

I doubt you'll notice a difference. I certainly wouldn't spend any amount of money on it, or even the valve cover gasket if the cam were free.

You'll need to go the A/B cam route to notice a difference, and even then on its own it's not a barnstormer.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #6
redblockpowered
Board Member

Good for towing.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #7
15A
World's Oldest Brewery

YES. I wont do a HG without swapping in a T cam. Night / day.

(IF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE YOU FB AFTER THE FACT, JUST SAY)

Alcohol does not solve any problem, but then again, neither does milk
15A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #8
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I barely noticed a little more low end torque when I did it. Not worth it if you have to pay anything for the T cam IMO.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Get an A or B cam if you are looking for a better cheap cam. They both work well with automatics. Plus you will have better highway cruising power.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
IansPlatinum
Board Member

I thought mine helped. I'd say butt dyno +5%. I'm going to try advancing it 5 degrees and see what happens
'93 Land Cruiser - "Ruby"
'01 Cherokee - "Janice"
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #11
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

We need those new rubber cams. The faster they spin the higher the lift. Free T and M cams. Local pickup only.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:19 AM   #12
Baileyswhite
Board Member

I’ve run a T cam in my manual N/A 90 245 for about five years now, it’s a hoot. Lots of off-the-line torque. I pulled away from a stock auto 90 745 turbo on a rolling 40-60 highway pull, almost an entire car length (before his turbo began making boost and pulling away from me).

The higher compression N/A motors make good use of a T cam, which (I’ve been lead to believe anyway) was designed to help maximize power before boost occurred in a lower compression turbo motor.

Timed straight up using healthy flow-matched injectors, 91+ octane gas from a fresh ECU reset and you’ll enjoy it, definitely a worthwhile yet inexpensive upgrade.

Last edited by Baileyswhite; 07-14-2020 at 03:28 AM..
Baileyswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #13
spock345
Board Member

You can pretty much get a T for peanuts. Personally I would go right for an A and an adjustable cam gear. Advance it a few degrees to move the power band lower and you are golden.
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
Steve Beswick
Board Member

Well the turbo at the junkyard that I was going to steal the cam out of didn't have a head by the time I got there. :/

I will need to be quicker on the pick a part searches!

If I want to find a better slotted cam for a NA car, what cars/years specifically should I keep an eye out for?
Old 07-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #15
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

You probably want to look for the A cam because that was used in head mounted distributor cars. So there is a lot of them out there. You can also look around for one from a Penta engine. Penta engines used A or V cams depensing on the type of engine. But it may not be slotted if it's from a Penta that is older pre 740 car engine production.

Most any new aftermarket cam is ground on a slotted blank so there is that path as well. A reground cam it's hit or miss. I'd make sure the vendor knows your needs. I use enem V15 in both of my signature cars. Not an economy price to buy but they are a great product worth every penny. Both of my cams were slotted from enem.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #16
Steve Beswick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
You probably want to look for the A cam because that was used in head mounted distributor cars. So there is a lot of them out there. You can also look around for one from a Penta engine. Penta engines used A or V cams depensing on the type of engine. But it may not be slotted if it's from a Penta that is older pre 740 car engine production.

Most any new aftermarket cam is ground on a slotted blank so there is that path as well. A reground cam it's hit or miss. I'd make sure the vendor knows your needs. I use enem V15 in both of my signature cars. Not an economy price to buy but they are a great product worth every penny. Both of my cams were slotted from enem.
I'm pretty sure if I order a cam from Sweden my wife will divorce me. What sort of years/models should I keep an eye out for to get an A cam? Im guessing 740s, right? did 24x models have head mounted distributors? I can't imagine there is enough room between the head and the firewall.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #17
TurboDutch
Board Member

Maybe you married wrong wife?
TurboDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #18
Steve Beswick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDutch View Post
Maybe you married wrong wife?
Perhaps, but that is a much bigger problem to solve.

Actually I’m just not well enough off that I can justify a ~$500 performance part on an $800 car to my wife. Or even really myself. Unemployment sucks.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:55 PM   #19
onelow89s10
Board Member

I would run a vx before the t
onelow89s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:26 PM   #20
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Beswick View Post
Unemployment sucks.
you'll save $ by keeping the foot off the pedal and keeping the eco-friendly M cam

Keep in mind when you swap cams you'll probably have to reshim, which will be more money to track down the right shims. And a valve cover gasket... and maybe rear plug seal while you're in there... just thinking out loud
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:53 AM   #21
Steve Beswick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
you'll save $ by keeping the foot off the pedal and keeping the eco-friendly M cam

Keep in mind when you swap cams you'll probably have to reshim, which will be more money to track down the right shims. And a valve cover gasket... and maybe rear plug seal while you're in there... just thinking out loud
I get that it isn't just as simple as "bolt in new cam and go", but I can grab the shims from whatever car I grab the cam from. Maybe I will get lucky, maybe I will need to order a few shims from IPD. Either way, junkyard cam + seals + gasket + shims sounds like $70 to me. New cam + the other stuff sounds like $300 or more to me.

I often need to drive up the Cajon pass in my 945, and it is borderline dangerously slow. an extra 5-10% would be of great benefit for those few very steep miles. Yes, my statement that unemployment sucks still stands. However, getting in a wreck because my car is too slow for road conditions is much, much worse.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #22
Tonyte619
Board Member

Cajon pass is always fun. If your anywhere close to San Diego i have T cams laying around some were that you can have. PM if interested
Tonyte619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #23
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

An A cam is vailable on Penta engines in the US. Or get something like the VX which is a good emissions cam that you can buy used for reasonable. The A was used in Canadian 240 series but you'll have to find a newer cam for the slot. If you put a request in wanted. You will have a cam offered to you.
A, B, V, VX will all work well and still be economical and run clean. All of these cams will give you slightly more hp than the M cam.

If you have a block mount distributor you can run any of these cams discussed. If you have a head mounted distributor then you need a slotted cam. I see you need this for a late model 940 so it could be either setup on your car. It's 240s that only use block mounted distributors.