• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

THE CAM IS IN!!!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

own6volvos

He who controls the Spice
V15 Happiness :hitit: :beer:

ok.. took about 30 min to install the new cam and all the front seals, fired the thing up... holy crap... the thing idles soo smooth. I think it might actually idle smoother than my original M cam. The first night when I took it driving, with the loose shims, had to wear off that assembly grease, and didn't have enough time saturday night... THIS THING FLIES!!!! With my AW70 in my 91 245SE... damn.. this thing has tons more pickup. With the torque converter... the thing goes right into the power band off the line, and could keep pulling way past the first shift on my tranny that happens at 40 MPH now. 60 MPH comes up a lot sooner on this car now, and makes me feel really happy on the highways now ;) After adjusting all the shims, putting in a tank of 93 gas, I was gettin about 18 MPG of ultra hard driving around st. louis. Also, after adjusting the shims, the idle became even smoother. My advice to EVERYBODY with either a turbo or n/a volvo... GET ONE OF THESE THINGS NOW!!!!! There is almost ZERO loss with the new cam, power comes in sooner, and stays there. The only reason why I say "almost zero loss" is that I lost about 1-2 MPG highway... THAT'S IT!!! I will soon have my 0-60 times, 50-75, etc.

The new powerbands are soo much stronger, low end is a wee bit better.... once the engine hits about 3k... you start to feel this sucker pull... then once you hit 4k... heh.. you be grinnin until you shift.. then the happiness continues while you go through all the gears :)
Kevin

own6volvos said:
The new powerbands are soo much stronger, low end is a wee bit better.... once the engine hits about 3k... you start to feel this sucker pull... then once you hit 4k... heh.. you be grinnin until you shift.. then the happiness continues while you go through all the gears :)
Kevin

just curious -- how much did you advance / retard it? (cusom timing wheel or adjustable?)

thanks!
-nick

Timed straight up right now... I plan on getting the MVP adjustable gear soon, and then seeing what this does retarded and advanced.

Kevin

was this the 'group buy' cam that kalazar was pushing? or is this the cam sold from IPD and MVP etc...?

...what happened to that guy anyhow?

Heh I need one, but I have to hash out the exhaust issue first. The T is even worse then the M some say, it dies at about 5300, and really is dead, no power at all. I have heard that on an almost bone stock car these things add about 7HP, not too shabby considering all of the things you could do with a turbo car with a few mods. I heard the V15 just keeps the engine from being an interference engine, is this true? It has about 12MM lift no?

interference... what's that?

jk jk, there is no interference in this cam... its 11.9 lift and the K is 12... and if the K isnt interference then why worry man? the haynes/whatever is SO off on this... only the 16V and maybe a extremely wild cam in the 8V will be interference... the V15 is really very similar to the K... (which is even more similar to the V16...) see my links to the stats:

Enem: http://www.242GT.com/Enemsheet.htm

OEM: http://www.242GT.com/Camspecs.htm

as for the group buy... there were 10 people in it besides me, Dan C got two (one NA/turbo), there was a nice mixture of auto's and manuals, early and late NA's and turbos... should give a nice variety of cars that it's installed in...

Kevin's (owns6volvos) is the first to install one... there should be a few more coming up this weekend and next... about 8 cams i'd say would be installed within a month...

I'm really really really looking forwards to how Robin does... would like to see the new turbo of his and rebuilt motor go on the strip before and after he installs the cam for a really cool comparsion... but if that's not economical, that's fine, but it would be cool...

As for another group buy... I aint naming names or prices anytime soon, but i'll tell you this much: its a lot of work but its doable and relatively simple. Enem was great to deal with. you can do a direct purchase very easily with them (order just about any of the cams in that link i gave you above)... you'd save a bit of money (20-50 bucks) if you did the group buy... and the "hassle"... it'd be about 4 days longer too.. but still an option. I will present the direct purchase option to everyone who's interested... and if they still want, i'll do another group buy np... just in intervals of 6 at a time for max savings...

that i know of, Dan Clemts is one that's upgrading from his VX3 to the V15...

from what i understand is that the major thing that's advantageous of this cam is the powerband... that it starts at 2000 instead of 2500rpm... that you dont have to retard/advance the cam to work right (the point of having an adjustable cam gear with the VX3... from what I hear, it sounds like as if its required to have one with your VX3... that bad eh?)

Now, the VX3 is a far superior cam than the M and other grinds in the mid range and top end, but it has disadvantages. the V15 and other grinds provides a powerband that's useful in daily AND top-end driving... its very similar to the K-grind but with a much stronger bottom end. I'm not sure how it compares in the middle and top, but that's to come soon. (comparsion).

anybody else chime in their thoughts?

I'm giddy. i want my cam in asap!

i'd be willing to say that the v15 is not going to be as wild in the upper rpms as the K, but with the improved low end response, it's probably more ideal for everyday driving.

harley

Volvo78GT said:
interference... what's that?

jk jk, there is no interference in this cam... its 11.9 lift and the K is 12... and if the K isnt interference then why worry man? the haynes/whatever is SO off on this... only the 16V and maybe a extremely wild cam in the 8V will be interference... the V15 is really very similar to the K... (which is even more similar to the V16...) see my links to the stats:

Matt, I asked this question a while back on the old board and Mike A responded saying that the cam DOES turn your engine into one of the interference kind. So, make sure you do your scheduled maintenence and don't blow up your timing belt, because you will be in serious trouble. This was information regarding the Turbo engine.

I'm replacing my timing belt at 20K... well below the reccomended 45K (i think) miles...

hey kevin! replace your timing belt ASAP!!!

I dont really want you to "test" it out ok? I like you enough to not want you to have a major blow-up... that and you wouldnt be providing feedback on the cam as much eh?

kev, please continue to give observations... rpm, kind of shifting, uhh whatever you can notice eh? that goes for everybody.

k... shifting seems to be happening a little quicker. I think that is becuase there is more power now in the area that it shifts??? I didn't adjust the kickdown cable or anyting on my tranny yet, and the shift points have moved back somehow, like before when it shifted at 35 from 1st to 2nd... now it shifts at 40 when the pedal is fully depressed. I am also noticing hat the city MPG is sucking bad... maybe it is becuase I am always flooring it now :shock:

Another thing.. my ABS doesn't work anymore.... :shock: HAHAHA.. maybe it is because I disconnected it.. :wink: damn ABS sucks when in snow...

Kevin

im runnin the vx from ipd, i love it. pulls awesome all the way!!!!low end is not what it was stock but it works fine. i just adjusted my valves tonight, closed the tollerence just a bit, .002 closer, made a huge difference. before when i punched it the car would just take off, now i can feal the tires squirming and loosing some traction in 1st. ite kewl!

I ran my t-belt for about 30K without knowing when it was last changed. Just pull the cover and look at it occasionally, even if it's not due for a change anytime soon. If it's oily or cracked, think about getting it changed ASAP. My belt was still fine, but the t-belt tensioner was shot.

I've heard from a few people who got over 75K on a t-belt, but usually on beaters that they didn't care about. Change it at 40K and you'll be just fine.

heh... right now i am praying mine holds together until the one I am ordering comes in. the thing is slightly cracked, and we had to reuse it, since I didn't have one to replace it with. The bearing is also on its way out, and making some noise.. when I am at 4-5k, the engine sounds like it has a timing chain :)... but that will get changed within 1-2 weeks.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back