• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

Decided I couldn't put off working on it, so I went out to the garage tonight after dinner to work on the driver's side. All that's left is to pop off the tie rod, cut the dust shield, install qsrc, slap the pads in and gogogo.

You will most definitely enjoy the QSRCs...... which correct you having ruined the factory roll center with lowering springs! I'm sorry I went 5 years without them. Stock ratio, or will you "quicken" in the mid hole?

You will most definitely enjoy the QSRCs...... which correct you having ruined the factory roll center with lowering springs! I'm sorry I went 5 years without them. Stock ratio, or will you "quicken" in the mid hole?

Fortbrick talked me into the middle hole, saying it was "quite fun". We'll see what this 40 year old thinks of that whippersnapper's impressions and advice.

Bne needs a ordering option in the QSRC dropdown that includes "add adjustable swaybar endlinks". Hopefully he has some sitting on the shelf.

Last edited:
Back on the ground and in need of an alignment.

20180505_200150_HDR by D H, on Flickr

20180505_200131 by D H, on Flickr

20180505_184550 by D H, on Flickr

DET17 recently noted recently that the Cherry Turbos/iPd brace (which I currently use) doesn't play nice with BNE Select strut mounts. As luck would have it, I picked up a TME brace from stiligFox recently that was pretty crusty and in need of elbow grease and paint. Don't have pictures of its most recent status, but I have the bar and bits and bobbles cleaned up and last night I stripped the brackets.

20180506_083147 by D H, on Flickr

A quick test fit shows I may have to re-weld the attachment tabs for one side as both sides look to be at different angles. Huh, weird. After I get the fitment on point, I'll drop the brackets off for some fresh powder coating.

Last edited:
Ok, going to set up an alignment appt. and from looking at other threads, these are the settings I'm shooting for:

Toe 2.3mm (stock setting, toe in)

1-1.5 degrees of neg camber

4.5 degrees of caster

This is a road car that is driven in a spirited way every blue moon. Mostly a cruiser. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I found this thread with that spec for caster:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=308719&highlight=940+wheel+alignment&page=2

Man, I'm really debating just fabbing something like a quicktrick alignment setup:

p31840_1.jpg

And then making something that screws onto the top of the strut for checking castor. Between not being a fan of other people touching my car and being cheap, I'm looking for alternatives to taking it in somewhere.

Honestly. I wonder what maxing out the "factory approximate" slots on the BNE Select mounts will give me as far as castor and camber. Sounds like DET17 might have settled on that in his build. I should message him.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I found this thread with that spec for castor:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=308719&highlight=940+wheel+alignment&page=2

Man, I'm really debating just fabbing something like a quicktrick alignment setup:

p31840_1.jpg

And then making something that screws onto the top of the strut for checking castor. Between not being a fan of other people touching my car and being cheap, I'm looking for alternatives to taking it in somewhere.

Honestly. I wonder what maxing out the "factory approximate" slots on the BNE Select mounts will give me as far as castor and camber. Sounds like DET17 might have settled on that in his build. I should message him.

I use a set of toe plates and an harbor freight magnetic digital angle finder to set to and camber. Caster, well, there?s never really enough caster, especially on my car with the rake that I am so fond of.

So, I tried my own home depot deal. It's close, but not spot on. Oh well, it was worth a try. I've got an appointment Monday after work to get an alignment done.
20180511_095529_HDR by D H, on Flickr

This thing handles pretty dang good. Oh and I tried bedding them, but the EBC Redstuffs are howling. But dang, what a great upgrade from just a set of pads. Pic from the testdrive:
20180511_133359_HDR by D H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice, enjoy reading where this is going.

I tried the DIY alignment too but it took some tries to get it somewhat right. Still fun to do, even though i took it to a shop later on.

Beatiful surroundings too!

Realy nice car you got! Did the do88 IC fit without modifications?

Thanks! Yeah, the do88 intercooler is pretty much drop in. It's a nice upgrade over the skinny, stock IC.

Nice, enjoy reading where this is going.

I tried the DIY alignment too but it took some tries to get it somewhat right. Still fun to do, even though i took it to a shop later on.

Beatiful surroundings too!

Thanks! Just a slow and steady BBB (basic bolt-ons build). I live near some river bluffs with some nice (albeit narrow), wooded backroads.

Cleaned up the car last night and put the seat cover on in preparation for taking it to the shop. My hope with the prep is that people see how clean the car is and it further encourages them to take their time and do things right.

Cleaned up the car last night and put the seat cover on in preparation for taking it to the shop. My hope with the prep is that people see how clean the car is and it further encourages them to take their time and do things right.

I totally wash and vacuum BEFORE I take my car to a shop for this exact reason. I used to be a lube tech in a different life for a Dodge dealership, clean 300C meant I treated it nice, filthy Neon got the rough treatment.

Just the way things work.

I like the "BBB" build, that's what I feel like my car is, built with bolt ons. What are you using under the hood to clean? What about to make it SHINAY??

I totally wash and vacuum BEFORE I take my car to a shop for this exact reason. I used to be a lube tech in a different life for a Dodge dealership, clean 300C meant I treated it nice, filthy Neon got the rough treatment.

Just the way things work.

I like the "BBB" build, that's what I feel like my car is, built with bolt ons. What are you using under the hood to clean? What about to make it SHINAY??

For the engine compartment, I did maybe 2 or 3 cleanings initially with foaming engine cleaner at the car wash. Then for a while I would just go out for a half an hour or so and wire brush, clean or polish something. If I take something apart, I try to clean or paint things before they go back together. I blow off the engine compartment and wipe it down regularly.

For exterior detailing I've been using 3D products for a while. A good claybar and then hit it with 3D Polish+ and then a coat of HD Poxy. Their detailer is really good too. Again, slow and steady; a full interior/exterior cleaning and detail for me can take almost an entire weekend.

Last edited:
Back