• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B cam vs. T cam on B230 with AW70

I seriously don't understand why you would even want to swap to a T cam.
Read into cams and take a good look at the specs listed, The T cam is one of the worst things you could do to any NA engine..
With an auto or low rpm towing get yourself an A cam (or something equal), Really packs a punch under 3k rpm but drops off after, If you'd like to have it slightly more balanced free revving get a V, And from there you'd get into the slightly sporty cam's K, H & custom. The rest of them simply ain't worth the swap IMO.
Why would someone want to swap to a T cam? Did you read this thread? To create improved torque, improved dynamic compression and improved off idle performance. The T cam has more lift than the M cam on the intake lobe, and although the exhaust lobe isn't as big as the M cam's, the increase on the intake side and short duration make up for it. Yes, it will not make much power above 5,000rpm, but you can set the valve clearances tight and have reasonable performance up there. I did a 17.3 second 1/4 mile in my 1987 244 AT vs a 17.6 second 1/4 mile with the M cam, with both of them set tight and the same ignition advance(I still revved it out to 6k when shifting). It's an upgrade, and perfect for someone who doesn't rev out past 4k rpm except on rare occasions. Especially if you're going to be towing.

You make it sound like you've compared an A and a V back to back in the same setup. Have you, really?

Why would someone want to swap to a T cam? Did you read this thread? To create improved torque, improved dynamic compression and improved off idle performance. The T cam has more lift than the M cam on the intake lobe, and although the exhaust lobe isn't as big as the M cam's, the increase on the intake side and short duration make up for it. Yes, it will not make much power above 5,000rpm, but you can set the valve clearances tight and have reasonable performance up there. I did a 17.3 second 1/4 mile in my 1987 244 AT vs a 17.6 second 1/4 mile with the M cam, with both of them set tight and the same ignition advance(I still revved it out to 6k when shifting). It's an upgrade, and perfect for someone who doesn't rev out past 4k rpm except on rare occasions. Especially if you're going to be towing.

You make it sound like you've compared an A and a V back to back in the same setup. Have you, really?

Wouldn't be worth anything if it were two different setups. Same car same engine same everything even the fuel in the tank. Had an A cam, Bought a parts engine that had a V in it. Wouldn't we all try?

My mother's 240 has an engine with an auto and T cam, brother has the M in his manual 244. Have you ever had an engine with the A cam in it? It's torque surprised me and it felt way stronger than the cars running T and M cams.

Some own experience:
A friend and I had two identical AW 740s, except mine was alwas 2-3 car lenghts faster from a standstill to about 60km/h. We found his having an M cam and mine having a VX3. Swapped his to an A cam, went nearly exactly the same as mine.

I had two standard gearbox 940s, one B230FT T cam and one manual B230F A cam. Swapped the cams around: B230Ft with A cam had lopey idle, then not much torque until about 3000/min, then took off much better than with the T cam. Driveability worse, but more power.
The B230F felt not different with the T cam to about 3500/min, then did not rev out so well afterwards, specially under high load in fifth gear WOT (180km/h instead of nearly 200).

This is all just feeling, no real measurements.

Wouldn't be worth anything if it were two different setups. Same car same engine same everything even the fuel in the tank. Had an A cam, Bought a parts engine that had a V in it. Wouldn't we all try?

My mother's 240 has an engine with an auto and T cam, brother has the M in his manual 244. Have you ever had an engine with the A cam in it? It's torque surprised me and it felt way stronger than the cars running T and M cams.
Awesome. I'm glad to hear you did actually compare them and this was your result! Thank you for sharing. :)

Back