• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Overheating Situation

stayathomedad

Hey guys, I'm running an old school dual carb set-up. I know that's not typically discussed here but I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with an overheating situation.
I'm running a B230, 531 Head, V cam, dual carb. I'm fairly certain I installed the head gasket correctly, it has a new water pump and new thermostat (180 degrees). My temp gauge is telling me its running around 210 degrees plus.

First, I dropped my new thermostat a few times before install on accident. Is it possible I broke it and this is my problem?

Second, I'm running a Volvo temp sending unit and an Autometer temp gauge. I've read these two don't always get along too well and the gauge could read 30 degrees hotter then the actual temp of the coolant. Does this actually happen and/or is common or was that just bogus information?

Third, the dual carb intake manifold has a type of coolant bypass where a coolant passage from the head near the number 4 intake runs through the intake manifold to a coolant passage near the number 1 intake. HOWEVER, the coolant passage near the number 1 intake is closed/plugged/blocked. Essentially coolant just sits in the intake manifold. Should the coolant passage near the number 1 intake be open so coolant freely moves through the intake manifold bypass? And, could this be why the motor is getting so hot?

Lastly, is there anything else that could lead to a hot motor condition?

Thanks for any information guys!!!
Keith

I would verify at thermostat housing with an IR temp gun.
Running boat carbs?
Volvo sending unit with autometer gauge is likely the problem IMO.

It's possible the temp sending unit and gauge have different ohm values, get a matched set and try. Radiator fins unclogged? fan spaced correctly inside shroud? (half in/half out). I'm not too worried about the coolant passage being plugged, but I would try to fix it if possible

Sounds good guys, I'll get myself an IR Temp Gun and check temperatures around the head and temp sending unit.
I'll hit up Culberro to see if I can get and adapter from him. I think I sent him a PM but for some reason when I send a PM it never displays whether or not I sent anything. My sent box is empty but my inbox is full lol

Ah, got it. I went ahead and changed that. Of course, I sent a message before I changed the setting so I'm assuming it will only save messages I send from here on out....

Update: got the IR temp gun and checked everything. Its definitely the sending unit communicating innacurately. Thanks for the all the help guys! I'll get the adapter from culberro and I'll be set!

Back