• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 euro light technicalities

Kjets On a Plane

Ok so I know that eh 940 e-code lights are moduled, but what each module does I don't know. Does it have a separate high beam etc? And is the high beam supposed to come on in conjunction with the low beam or does the low beam switch off like fog lights do? What additional wiring has to be put in etc? It seems that these lights would make a decent aplication for an external ballast HID system on the low beam portion no? Any details you have about how these things little euro OEM gadgets for these things work, including wipers wiring blah blah blah. Lay it on me.

I sent u a email they have 3 sockets high, low(hid upgrade possible but u need a projector for them other wise they wont work correctly) and also fog.. Im gettin this for my 90 760 should be very nice 88-90 760 have same front end as a 940 front end.... and one reason i dont want to do 960 front end u cant get e code lights...

There's e-codes for 960/S90s....the lenses resemble the e-codes for the 780s (I have an e-code catalog/listing).

The E-code lights for teh S90/v90 are really just US lights with different lenses. Same with all newer cars 70 series...and such. The 940 lights are very nice units in that they actually have many separate modules. Ever noticed that almost all euro lights use a separate low/high beam? The US spec S/V90 use this too as do all newer volvos so clearer lenses and better bulbs are all it takes for them. For those of us wtih US spec 940's and such we kinda get the short end of the stick with single 9004 High/low setups after 90'. The separate high/low setup and modules are useful because it is not a very good ideal to use HID for high and low beam if that is even possible. If you used HID for a high beam you couldn't use it to flash to pass or in other rapid situatios because it "blinks" on like a flourescent. If you get the right capsule setup the low beam module can be used for HID. E-codes for the 780 are pretty different man, the 780 lights remind me more of teh post 90' 740 E-codes. I think one of the differences between the 940/post 88 760etc and the 740/780 e-codes is the lack of fog lights integrated with the lights, since 740s and 780s tended to have fogs mounted separately.
Boosted: I got your e-mail, so thanks for the info.

Yes...absolutely...the high beam doesn't affect really how much light is put out, just where it is. IF you don't need any high beam at all with HID and it looks just like a high beam when it's on, then you are blinding everyone in front of you. Not a very nice thing to do man...If you have euro lights you can keep the low beam on while the high beam is on if you want, and you don't have to sacrafice the high beam for a more performance worthy light setup. the real reason why you use HID is for lower power consumption, less heat, and better light quality in terms of color and width of light spectrum. You do not use HID for more light per se, but you can add more light with a headlamp that defines where the light goes better, the limitations on how light can be used in conjunction with a headlamp setup are heat and definition. The glass 940 US lights are not so horribly bad with something like 100 watts max. the US 740 lights are garbage though. As you can imagine I am would very much like to have some E-code lights, but they are expensive fro a reason.

940 E-code pictures:

11tull.jpg

9tull.jpg

If I had to guess, the big one is the high beam, inner lower is low beam and inner upper is fog? :e-shrug:

Ok, E-codes. Big one on lights is dipped, top smaller unit is high beam and the bottom bigger and thiner one is the fogs.

Griz

Just a small correction... with the 940 E-code headlight, the large outer ones are High/Low beam using H4 bulbs. The upper inner ones are auxilary high beam, which as the name implies illuminates when the outer ones are on high beam to supplement it. The inner bottom ones are fog-lights, controlled via a switch on the dash.

Will
'90 744 GL

Back