• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Yoshifab Catch Can or Provent Feedback?

muppetman342

Having too much fun
Thinking of upgrading my PCV system to keep all that oil out of my intake. I'm currently eyeing the Yoshifab setup or the Mann Provent. The Yoshifab setup looks nice, but I can't help but think I'd get more filtering out of the Provent, and the Provent is cheaper. Tbh not entirely sure how to justify the Yoshifab price other than that it looks nice, but to me it seems like it wouldn't be any more effective, maybe even less, than running some generic can inline with the stock breather.

Anyone have any experience with either and how much cleaner they did/didn't make your intact tract?

I have never heard of the Mann product, looks nice and simple.

I have used the yoshifab unit and liked it a lot so I just purchased a second unit for my wagon but next time I might pick up one of the Mann units for one of the other cars.

I have never heard of the Mann product, looks nice and simple.

I have used the yoshifab unit and liked it a lot so I just purchased a second unit for my wagon but next time I might pick up one of the Mann units for one of the other cars.

Did you notice a difference in the amount of oil in your intake with the yoshifab kit?

I would say less, but the 744 doesn't really put a lot of DD miles on it to much these days so I only had maybe 3000 miles on it over the last year or so. Once I get the 744 back together and running I can say for sure, but in those 3000 miles there was little to zero oil heading into the turbo, I am sure it helps that my HY35CW has less than 50k miles on it as I bought it new 10+ years ago as most TB'ers are running either self rebuilt turbos or 150k+ mile used units. Once Yoshifab ships my current kit I paid for I can get it on the wagon and see if that helps but even then I do not have a ton of oil in the intake system currently but my dipstick does pop out from time to time.

https://oe-products.mann-hummel.com...ummel/kurbelgehauseentlueftung/ProVent_en.pdf

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FrvciHy2wD8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I always liked mann products but this looks great. myself I would prefer the Provent 400 unit. The Provent 200 is $140 tho so not a lot cheaper than the yoshifab unit unless you add in all of the block and other fittings.

My largest complaint on the yoshifab kit is that the fittings are a bit small being -10 but since there are two points for flow into the catch can maybe not as much of an issue.

Last edited:
I have been running the provent 200 for the last 40k miles. Changed the filter ~3k miles ago. I've never had oil buildup issues in my turbo(s). Even at higher boost. I kept the stock oil separator and connected the provent after that. It also drains to the sump via a check valve.

I've bought and returned both (due to packaging constraints with my setup). I would run the Mann if it suited my needs, it's a nice piece. It is large, check the dimensions on the Mann site.

Yoshi can is nice but, yes, really just a generic can. I returned mine with the intent to order a Saikou Michi because I could have it built to spec.

I've bought and returned both (due to packaging constraints with my setup). I would run the Mann if it suited my needs, it's a nice piece. It is large, check the dimensions on the Mann site.

Yoshi can is nice but, yes, really just a generic can. I returned mine with the intent to order a Saikou Michi because I could have it built to spec.

+1. I have the Yoshi can in mine, and it's not as baffled as it could be. I just put some stainless steel scrubbers in the can to try to help with that, but the Provent filter system looks really nice.

I've got a ProVent in my '80.

VC_Provent_1.jpg

PSpump_2.jpg

Had to relocate it, once I finally got the fresh ZF rack in there.

It's big, and I don't have it plumbed to drain back into the pan, but I haven't really noticed much collecting in it. I may try and move it higher to the PS of the bay at a later time.

Last edited:
I've got a ProVent in my '80.

HERE and HERE

Had to relocate it, once I finally got the fresh ZF rack in there.

It's big, and I don't have it plumbed to drain back into the pan, but I haven't really noticed much collecting in it. I may try and move it higher to the PS of the bay at a later time.

No photos

Should give you a good idea of the plumbing.
Stock breather box--> Provent--> tee to intake manifold--> Pre turbo pipe

Attachments

• IMG_3661.jpg
    IMG_3661.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 678
Provent can be had from China-alixpress much cheaper O:-)

Going with a provent 200 too on my b230, running in series with the stock pcv box. Homer gave me the idea.
Pcv box directly to turbo intake gives oily mess and even some water turned into ice which damaged the compressor..

Pcv box directly to turbo intake gives oily mess and even some water turned into ice which damaged the compressor..

Well the heater element on the intake hose should prevent the ice if it's hooked up ;-)

You planning on having the provent drain back to the block anywhere? I'm debating just putting barbed fitting on the drain side of the stock breather and draining into there, don't see why that wouldn't work.

Back