• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 skinny brake boosters

Mylesofsmyles

A Member
I'm looking for another skinny brake booster for one of the 240's

I have one that's a 10" dual diaphram. My other, I think is 12" and pancake skinny, single diaphram.

Does anyone have a link to a source for the larger diameter, skinnier booster FOR A 240?

Is this the style you're after?

240SkinnyBooster1.jpg

Now I gotta decide if I want to sell it. It's new, not reman'd and I've been hoarding it for my own 16 valve 240 project which I may or may not ever get around to.

Why does it need to be this exact style, aesthetics? There's at least 2 other styles of skinny boosters.

Why does it need to be this exact style, aesthetics? There's at least 2 other styles of skinny boosters.

It's all in the name of clearance.

I've built 16v engines in 240's with a few different manifold styles and I've tried the three booster options I know of.

Both of my personal 16vT cars have slim or skinny boosters. With my shortened b234 manifold, there isn't a skinny enough booster...especially with the Mustang Mastwr Cylinder...the more common 10" isn't skinny enough. The one you posted is certainly ideal.

It's all in the name of clearance.

I've built 16v engines in 240's with a few different manifold styles and I've tried the three booster options I know of.

Both of my personal 16vT cars have slim or skinny boosters. With my shortened b234 manifold, there isn't a skinny enough booster...especially with the Mustang Mastwr Cylinder...the more common 10" isn't skinny enough. The one you posted is certainly ideal.

Out a plenum on that 16v manifold and have plenty of clearance even with the big booster.

That's not a b234 manifold...the throttle body clearance is the issue.

Any booster will physically fit around the b234 manifold, shortened or not. It's the throttle body clearance, in stock configuration.

This build is using a shortened b234 manifold. It's a part that's worth the hunt for me.

Is there a source for a NEW (not reman) booster and OEM master cylinder? I replaced both on my '80, and the second reman booster wont hold vacuum after shutting the engine off, and the master cylinder is leaking from the rear....the MC is an "all new" brake best brand...apparently its total crap... second one ive had, both were junk...

Apparently, skinny boosters were available for all 240's '75-'93 although the parts catalog isn't specific about which models used them. I believe that 4 cylinder cars with a single carb used them as well as the V6 cars but I could be wrong.

The part number was updated and you can still get them new through the aftermarket. They're NLA from the dealer.

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?page=article&artno=3516654

Volvo used 2 different suppliers for the skinny boosters, Girling and Bendix (DBA). They are interchangeable AFAIK.

240SkinnyBooster.jpg

I've only seen them on very early 240s ~10 years ago when those cars were still in the yards, but it wasn't worth digging them out and buying them for what people were paying at the time.

:e-shrug:

Back