klr142
Turbo, what?

Oooh, you're right... That's cool!
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #27
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Default updates - UPDATES!

OK! update. I always forget to add stuff here.

Too bad i don't have enough time to mount some of the new stuff. This summer i'm going to install a lot and fix some rust etc.

Goodridge stainless steel braided lines, complete with nice stainless steel couplers as well (the normal ones have steel couplers, these are a bit more expensive)

I forgot to mention that I installed the spacers I received from Fredrik back in November after i got a set of 700/900 metric lug nuts. Looks good, rides a bit better too!
It turns out that the tire rubs a bit when i use Virgo's. The steelies for the wintertires didn't have that... click here to see the result!

Temporary JAW installation:

Just to see how it works and what would be a good location for the display. I use it to give LH a NBO2 signal. Works great, mpg a bit better, only downside is that I have to preheat the wideband sensor before i start the car (takes 30 seconds or so). Pretty annoying...

Earlier this month I installed an A cam.

(click on the picture to see more pics of the install in my gallery)
This A cam was originally for the turbo engine but i got really really annoyed by the M cam and swapped the cam anyway. Great upgrade! more power and the low rpm torque is exactly the same....

And I found a nice set of injectors in my mailbox (after I spent some money on the racetronix website )

630 cc/min 4-beam Siemens Deka, Hi-Z. Installed em, filled er up with E85 (very little gas left in the tank..) and started the engine. the JAW showed a lambda value of .72 at idle
I added a 1KOhm resistor in the MAF signal line and AFRs were looking better and better. After some driving the AFRs were pretty much spot on (cruising .95-1, WOT .85, maybe up to .80 near revlimit). LH ftw

I know, overkill, OVERKILL on a 120-130-ish hp B230F. But This set was bought with the future in mind. The future is turbo (KKK K24 from S60R) with E85..

I'm saving up for a set of new shocks (thinking of Koni Yellow or Bilstein HD, lemme know what you think!), poly bushings and lowering springs (40 mm front and 20 mm rear). One of the rear shocks is blown, it's leaking oil and making funny noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #28
norcal505
Board Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (SGV); Chicago, IL; San Diego, CA; SF Bay Area, CA

wow, you're wagon is amazing.
love it, love it, love it!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Re-shelled & Reborn)
1983 Peugeot 505 STI
1992 Volvo 245 Euro Delivery
norcal505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #29
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Thanks!

Broken stage one intake side mount, i must be over 250 hp now (hard to see, but its separated on the top, really noticeable while driving). Replaced the transmission mount at the same time i changed the engine mounts.
I ordered a set of diesel mounts at the dealership, but they sold me normal 240 redblock mounts, going to return them asap

There was a really nice 940 in the junkyard (sadly), US version, must have been from someone from the local US army base. The car had done only 70K miles and had an overheated engine. the car had a new radiator (wide N/A with A/C 92+), nice Efan as well. Next week im going back to grab the crank pulley, the round tooth timing belt stuff, the new starter and some other small stuff. Nice stuff to add to my engine when it gets +Ted

I fixed the passenger side tailgate hinge wiring, so now i have a working wiper again. Added an original Hella 3rd brake light as well.
Right now the engine runs rough, haven't found the cause yet. The upside is that i haven't spent money on fuel, last time i filled up with E85 was in August.... The bus sucks but it is better than nothing. Spent the money on a set of leftover Bilstein HD's, a brand new set for the front axle for 100 euro (1/3 of the price normally here)

I made a useful piece to do timing belt jobs:

huge mess, nothing out of the ordinary....

(I love TIG welding...)

I must find time to fit all the parts i am collecting
Right now the 760 needs to be finished first (taking up shop space) and school etc takes a lot of my time...
Old 10-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #30
SteveMD
Membro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
I'm saving up for a set of new shocks (thinking of Koni Yellow or Bilstein HD, lemme know what you think!), poly bushings and lowering springs (40 mm front and 20 mm rear). One of the rear shocks is blown, it's leaking oil and making funny noises.
If you can get Bilstein Sports over there for the 240, maybe go with them, especially if lowering the car. Otherwise, go Koni Yellow. I have Koni Yellow on my autox 240 (also NA and I am considering following your footsteps re. injectors and resistor mod to AMM signal as I like to run as much E85 as I can). If I was redoing my 940 wagon's suspension, I would go Koni Yellow and not the Bilstein HD currently in it.
SteveMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #31
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

I wanted to say i love this car, any updates? Are you ever putting your m90 and such in?

Also what size pipe did you use to make a pulley holder?
She was pretty damn hot. And she folded my clothes and made me breakfast in bed
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood
15 Golf TDI 6 Speed

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #32
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
I wanted to say i love this car, any updates? Are you ever putting your m90 and such in?

Also what size pipe did you use to make a pulley holder?
Thanks!

Update is that there is something wrong with the injection/ignition. The engine runs really rough under 2000 rpm (rich or ignition miss). checked plug leads/plugs/cap/rotor/coil (and tested with spares), tried different ezk/lh, swapped AMM and lambdasond, checked timing of cam+dizzy, checked TPS, FPR, injectors, alternator, all kind of things... still running rough. maybe the broken engine mounts make it seem worse than it is....

I bought a set of craving boost spark plug wires, they arrived today. Also a variable wiper interval relay (like the one IPD sells). Small odds and ends.

All the parts are patiently waiting, pretty busy with school and the 760 of my brother is taking up shop space. Next to that i am refurbishing a few old machines (lathe etc) and improving the workshop.
I ordered a new clutch set today. And got prices on lowering springs etc.
I want to do suspension first, then proceed with the engine. To save work i want to do as much as possible in one go. Not a simple +T, burn out the clutch 3 months later, fix a better exhaust 4 months later, kill M47 2 weeks later etc.

Maybe suspension can be tackled over xmas break. For the +T im missing some parts (fuel pump, cat, oil lines) and im lacking time, the week after xmas i have a few important exams . anyway. looking at a huge stash of parts is fun too.

iirc the pulley holder uses slightly under 3.5" or exactly 3.5". I'll check when i get home at the end of the week. Here you can find more info about the build.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #33
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Ok finally time to work on the 240 again.

I pulled the engine for the +T:

The engine bay cleaned up nicely with pressure washer+volvo cleaner/degreaser, needs some wax now.

The engine now:

turbo: new Garrett T3, 60 trim .42 A/R compressor and .63 A/R cosworth exhaust side, clipped turbine wheel+port cleanup
V cam is waiting as well.

intercooler after adjustment:

I'll mount it between the headlights, 2" forward from where it is now so i can leave the radiator in the original spot. I removed 60 mm from the bottem, still need to weld it up again.

suspension stuff ready to go in:

Koni Yellow shocks/struts, 40 mm lowering springs (Lesj÷fors, linear), some poly bushings, new volvo strut mounts and taxi ball joint holders.

Other stuff:
Found some leather 850 seats at the j/y
mounted in the 240:

full height adjustment via the 850 mechanism, front/rear via 240 rails. seat can be adjusted to be lower than the stock 240 seat. it is a seat without sips. passenger side seat will be mounted someday, no need for it now.

some construction pics:

more pics can be found in my gallery.

Interior:

I had some nice heated/power mirrors and a central locking system so i pulled the interior to wire up that stuff (including better stereo cables and wires for the heated seats). at the same time i checked for rust (none to be found), cleaned the floor, applied better rust proofing (mike sanders grease) and attached all wires and loose bits with zipties to prevent any rattles after reassembly. interior will go in when the engine etc is mounted.

Last edited by JW240; 07-13-2009 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: added pic
Old 07-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #34
JW240
All idiot, no savant

For the cosworth turbo i needed to have the flange of the manifold milled flat. because my 90+ had some big cracks i didnt want to spend money on it so i just pulled out the angle grinder and attacked the mani. partly because i was a bit frustrated after welding up the cracks, one crack kept coming back (not enough preheat or maybe not enough shielding gas, bottle is near empty).

yuck. lots of contamination, not enough preheat, shielding gas empty? i dont know. fugly. I'll try to correct this before fitting.

how it started, checked un-flatness with file (light spots). maybe 5 minutes work with the angle grinder to remove the lip.

the tools used. use new sanding paper, works much better. grind for a short time and let everything cool down again, repeat.

the result. M10x1.5 studs, port matched to turbo inlet, also cleaned up the runners where they enter the collector.
the removal of the step/lip on the flange took maybe 45 minutes, probably even less. no need to spend money on it if you have the tools.

Last edited by JW240; 07-16-2009 at 04:03 AM..
Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #35
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

Project is really coming along! What is the color? I really like it!
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #36
cuaz64
Board Member

Another cool euro project, I envy you europeans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
no alchemists allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Tbricks is a strange, but fun and informative phenomenon.
cuaz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #37
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

so you machined the +90 yourself like that? ... overall looks good buddy!

My Seller Feedback
Mr.Borrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #38
Wagner
Tbricks MIG Welding Champion

The 90+ manifold flange looks good, must've been some work.

Also the floors on your car look nice, solid and rust free.

Are you gonna take that car to nordschleife?

The taxi ball joint holders, they add camber, yes? Any idea by how much?

Cops pulled me over. Papers, they said. Scissors, i replied. Still i did not win. Go figure.
Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #39
frpe82

I did the same thing as JW240 to my 90+ back in the days when I drove a turbo car with the big T3/T4...

Old 07-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #40
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

the cars looking good!
2fast242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #41
JW240
All idiot, no savant

thanks for the compliments guys!. no, no nordschleife for this car yet haha.

I have no idea how much negative camber the taxi ball joint holders add. ~7 degrees angle between the mounting face and the strut , i need to check how far it places the wheel more to the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
Project is really coming along! What is the color? I really like it!
thanks, it is 412, same as some later (super) polar models. i like it too

While Fredrik was wrestling with the brake lines of his V90 i tried to trick him into swapping wheels:

looks good and enough clearance (8x19). only needed some slight trimming of the inner fender lip.

the V90 didnt look too good with my old wheels though lol

Some clean/painted rear suspension:

new panhard rod bushings, torque rods arealready poly. Koni Sport/Yellow shocks and lesj÷fors lowering springs. When i have time (next summer) and money (probably later than that) im going for some kind of LSD in the rear axle and the rest of the bushings replaced with poly/stock where needed (discussed with 945ti about various stuff).
The Goodridge brakelines didnt work with the stock on-axle brake tubing. had to make new brake line for that issue.

here is how it looks installed: (woohoo!)

I discovered that the washers that were supplied with the IPD anti sway bar kit were flattened (I tightened the crap out of the lower shock bolt), i made some really thick new ones to prevent that from happening... The rear suspension has made strange noises for a long time. hopefully over now.

random pic from some lathe work: (making the fittings for the non-fitting goodridge lines grumble)

.63 A/R Cosworth with 76.1 mm (3") discharge+V-band?

I made the flange on the recently fixed lathe, took quite some time to make it out of stainless steel. no normal v-band flange was going to fit, oddbal size and conical etc.
Im already looking at upgrading the compressor, must resist temptation lol. not going to happen soon haha. anyways, this hotside will support enough for what i want

Oil coolers:

first i am going with the heat exchanger only, later combined with a Setrab oil cooler. the guts are removed from the Wahler t-stat plate and the outlets plugged up. complicated? yeah. needed? no. possible? yeah (inspired by boost242.se)

oil drain fitted, coupling welded to the block. wont leak i hope. When i change to a (homebrew) header this drain is going to save some time, very modular. new hydraulic hose is just 20€.

the struts this morning:

painted, new struts, new dust cover+bump stop, new brake lines (hard (where needed)+soft line), poly bushings with grease fittings, new strut mounts, GT plates. the brake pads and discs were still very good.

fitted:

more updates in the next days. i need to get this thing running asap

more pics here http://jw.cautela.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1518 as always.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #42
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

Jesus JW i though you died! cool too see your still working on the volvos! btw are those upgrade breakdisks.. i think i need something new on the 760 might as well upgrade the breaks
Mr.Borrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #43
Turbosteen
I was born at a young age

What? I don't get any credit for helping you?
Turbosteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #44
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Borrie View Post
Jesus JW i though you died! cool too see your still working on the volvos! btw are those upgrade breakdisks.. i think i need something new on the 760 might as well upgrade the breaks
sent you a PM

yeah the (front) discs are ATE Powerslot/PremiumOne/Powerdisc (they have changed the name a few times). Got these from ebay very cheap 2 years ago. Work good, although i haven't really used the brakes that much (have to keep speed, takes long to gain speed haha).
Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #45
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosteen View Post
What? I don't get any credit for helping you?
epic praise.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #46
Gregerivn
Board Member

Nice work so far!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #47
volvo78244
Ring apprentice

Quote:
the struts this morning:

poly bushings with grease fittings
I see my special Original Volvo tools did their job pretty well...
1993 960 B204FT
1992 740 B230FD
1990 960 B204FT
1987 340 B14E Variomatic (sold)
1982 242 B230FK
volvo78244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #48
Wagner
Tbricks MIG Welding Champion

Quote:
Oil coolers:
Turbocharged spraycan?

Howcome your Lesj÷fors springs are black? Didya paint them or were they like that? I had once an ocean of trouble with an vehicle inspection engineer (MOT type of thing) because my springs were red.
Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #49
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo78244 View Post
I see my special Original Volvo tools did their job pretty well...
yeah, but the bushings were rusted/stuck in place as well so i had to cut the shell with a hacksaw before i could press them out with the tools. Thanks that i could borrow them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
Turbocharged spraycan?

Howcome your Lesj÷fors springs are black? Didya paint them or were they like that? I had once an ocean of trouble with an vehicle inspection engineer (MOT type of thing) because my springs were red.
yeah it has a turbopump inside

These springs were black from the beginning, Lesj÷fors changed the color from red to black at some point (found that in the T▄V papers). Over here the checks aren't that difficult concerning different parts, just everything needs to be in semi good condition...

today i finished some wiring in the interior, welded up the oil drain, welded a bung M14x1.5 for a universal vdo temp sender in the sump, welded up the last bits of the seat bracket, installed new balljoint, etc etc. lots of small stuff. maybe the engine can go in tomorrow
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #50
JW240
All idiot, no savant

engine is back in the engina bay, m90 mounted:

http://jw.cautela.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2912

more pics will follow later tonight (dinner now me hungry).