• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

JW's 1991 240 wagon

thanks for the compliments guys!. no, no nordschleife for this car yet haha.

I have no idea how much negative camber the taxi ball joint holders add. ~7 degrees angle between the mounting face and the strut , i need to check how far it places the wheel more to the outside.

Project is really coming along! What is the color? I really like it!

thanks, it is 412, same as some later (super) polar models. i like it too :cool:

While Fredrik was wrestling with the brake lines of his V90 i tried to trick him into swapping wheels:

looks good and enough clearance (8x19). only needed some slight trimming of the inner fender lip.

the V90 didnt look too good with my old wheels though lol :rofl:

Some clean/painted rear suspension:

new panhard rod bushings, torque rods arealready poly. Koni Sport/Yellow shocks and lesj?fors lowering springs. When i have time (next summer) and money (probably later than that) im going for some kind of LSD in the rear axle and the rest of the bushings replaced with poly/stock where needed (discussed with 945ti about various stuff).
The Goodridge brakelines didnt work with the stock on-axle brake tubing. had to make new brake line for that issue.

here is how it looks installed: (woohoo!)

I discovered that the washers that were supplied with the IPD anti sway bar kit were flattened (I tightened the crap out of the lower shock bolt), i made some really thick new ones to prevent that from happening... The rear suspension has made strange noises for a long time. hopefully over now.

random pic from some lathe work: (making the fittings for the non-fitting goodridge lines grumble)

.63 A/R Cosworth with 76.1 mm (3") discharge+V-band?

I made the flange on the recently fixed lathe, took quite some time to make it out of stainless steel. no normal v-band flange was going to fit, oddbal size and conical etc.
Im already looking at upgrading the compressor, must resist temptation lol. not going to happen soon haha. anyways, this hotside will support enough for what i want :cool:

Oil coolers:
p8213814.jpg

first i am going with the heat exchanger only, later combined with a Setrab oil cooler. the guts are removed from the Wahler t-stat plate and the outlets plugged up. complicated? yeah. needed? no. possible? yeah :cool: (inspired by boost242.se)

p8213818.jpg

oil drain fitted, coupling welded to the block. wont leak i hope. When i change to a (homebrew) header this drain is going to save some time, very modular. new hydraulic hose is just 20€.

the struts this morning:
p8243818.jpg

painted, new struts, new dust cover+bump stop, new brake lines (hard (where needed)+soft line), poly bushings with grease fittings, new strut mounts, GT plates. the brake pads and discs were still very good.

fitted:
p8243826.jpg

more updates in the next days. i need to get this thing running asap :lol:

more pics here http://jw.cautela.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1518 as always.

Jesus JW i though you died! cool too see your still working on the volvos! btw are those upgrade breakdisks.. i think i need something new on the 760 might as well upgrade the breaks

Jesus JW i though you died! cool too see your still working on the volvos! btw are those upgrade breakdisks.. i think i need something new on the 760 might as well upgrade the breaks

sent you a PM :)

yeah the (front) discs are ATE Powerslot/PremiumOne/Powerdisc (they have changed the name a few times). Got these from ebay very cheap 2 years ago. Work good, although i haven't really used the brakes that much (have to keep speed, takes long to gain speed haha).

Oil coolers:
p8213814.jpg

Turbocharged spraycan?

Howcome your Lesj?fors springs are black? Didya paint them or were they like that? I had once an ocean of trouble with an vehicle inspection engineer (MOT type of thing) because my springs were red. :wtf:

I see my special Original Volvo tools did their job pretty well...

yeah, but the bushings were rusted/stuck in place as well so i had to cut the shell with a hacksaw before i could press them out with the tools. Thanks that i could borrow them!

Turbocharged spraycan?

Howcome your Lesj?fors springs are black? Didya paint them or were they like that? I had once an ocean of trouble with an vehicle inspection engineer (MOT type of thing) because my springs were red. :wtf:

yeah it has a turbopump inside :lol:

These springs were black from the beginning, Lesj?fors changed the color from red to black at some point (found that in the T?V papers). Over here the checks aren't that difficult concerning different parts, just everything needs to be in semi good condition...

today i finished some wiring in the interior, welded up the oil drain, welded a bung M14x1.5 for a universal vdo temp sender in the sump, welded up the last bits of the seat bracket, installed new balljoint, etc etc. lots of small stuff. maybe the engine can go in tomorrow :)

main.php

What will come out of this?

maybe a spacer for the driveshaft (and maybe some other parts from the leftovers, think underdrive pulley etc if i find the time :cool:). depending on how expensive it is to have a driveshaft adapted (i have a 940 M47 front piece that i'd like to get shortened and balanced to work with the beefy rear driveshaft part that my 240 has).
only problem with this chunk of aluminium is that the chuck of my lathe cant hold it, it is missing the jaws for clamping stuff from the outside (like this one can).

The tips/tricks you told me about 2 years ago (I think) were very handy when i adapted the x-member and working on the M90. I didnt weld the 3rd gear synchro, didnt feel like taking apart a perfectly good gearbox. I tried to get it apart but after an hour and various removed things i gave up haha.

I can only work on the 240 in the weekends now (school), the annual checkup (APK = emissions, safety etc) expired a few days ago. need to get it running asap.

depending on how expensive it is to have a driveshaft adapted (i have a 940 M47 front piece that i'd like to get shortened and balanced to work with the beefy rear driveshaft part that my 240 has

Do you already have quotes on that? I'll check first thing tomorrow.

Curious to see/hear how you adapted stuff to fit that M90 in your 240. Try to remember how you did all of that so you can help me fit mine.

. I tried to get it apart but after an hour and various removed things i gave up haha.

I can only work on the 240 in the weekends now (school), the annual checkup (APK = emissions, safety etc) expired a few days ago. need to get it running asap.

Yeah, those spring pins are really annoying and time consuming to remove and install. It is possible to weld it without too much dismantling though. That's how they did in the Bilsport article. There is one gear connecting ring is on the way, but apparently it is possible to remove that without taking the whole gearbox apart.

But you'll be fine as long as you use one full minute every time when you change to third gear to make sure that you are in gear. :-P

Fast shifting to 3rd is what kills it.

While the aluminum adapter might be perfectly acceptable and work fine, i'm sure that the engineer in you wants to do it right and have the drive shaft shortened and balanced. And if you use the rubber quibo, use the BMW M5 one. (heh, it was you who originally mentioned it to me )

When i had a front piece made out new material (old flanges) at a qualified drive line shop (you need a certificate here for a modified drive shaft for the annual safety/emission inspection) it was approximately 200 euros, including the balancing of the whole drive shaft. I kind of had to do it that way, the spacer system, or the dual quibos you see in some builds, would not fly here in the annual inspection.

Anyway, inspirational stuff there again, it seems to become quite a desirable wagon.

And yeah, i know how the weekends-only thing goes. It's annoying when life gets in the way of wrenching on cars. :-D

Ouch, good luck fixing that i have some bad experiences with expired APK

yeah im hoping there is some leeway, would be nice to have a few weeks extra before they start to spam me fines for the expired apk...

Do you already have quotes on that? I'll check first thing tomorrow.

Curious to see/hear how you adapted stuff to fit that M90 in your 240. Try to remember how you did all of that so you can help me fit mine.

Last weekend i didnt had any time left to check the length of the driveshaft, so i haven't contacted any companies yet. Jan(speed) sent me the address of a company as well.
I'll document everything about the swap so we can make/adapt the parts for your 242 of course :)

Yeah, those spring pins are really annoying and time consuming to remove and install. It is possible to weld it without too much dismantling though. That's how they did in the Bilsport article. There is one gear connecting ring is on the way, but apparently it is possible to remove that without taking the whole gearbox apart.

I tried to remove the gear found under the mess with the 3 springs/ball bearings but it was very stuck. Removed part of the shifting mechanism plates, put a bearing puller on there, hammered the locking pins, it was very stuck in there. It was curious to see that my M90 had steel blocks/holders for the springs, some have some kind of plastic there. The prices of M90's have dropped, so if i really want a welded one for true hooligan use in the future i can always prepare one :)

But you'll be fine as long as you use one full minute every time when you change to third gear to make sure that you are in gear. :-P

i'll be careful with that yeah, but if i can get a M46/47 to live on various cars around here with my shifting, im not that worried :-P

While the aluminum adapter might be perfectly acceptable and work fine, i'm sure that the engineer in you wants to do it right and have the drive shaft shortened and balanced. And if you use the rubber quibo, use the BMW M5 one. (heh, it was you who originally mentioned it to me )

When i had a front piece made out new material (old flanges) at a qualified drive line shop (you need a certificate here for a modified drive shaft for the annual safety/emission inspection) it was approximately 200 euros, including the balancing of the whole drive shaft. I kind of had to do it that way, the spacer system, or the dual quibos you see in some builds, would not fly here in the annual inspection.

Yeah the driveshaft modification would be the best, true. the BMW guibo is too expensive for me now, will have to save up for one hehe. I'll check if Meyle makes a HD version of the BMW one. The gearbox mount on my M90 is a Meyle heavy duty version, they claim it is stronger than the original one. does the driveshaft need to be shorter with the slightly thicker guibo? (I can imagine that the driveshaft gets to full compression with full suspension travel maybe, like the 7/900 series like to do?)

Anyway, inspirational stuff there again, it seems to become quite a desirable wagon.

And yeah, i know how the weekends-only thing goes. It's annoying when life gets in the way of wrenching on cars. :-D
Life sometimes gets in the way of the fun stuff yeah... oh well, it could be worse ;-)

I hope so too for you, offcource i was pulled over when i was driving like a cock when they checked my tags :lol:

I'll check if Meyle makes a HD version of the BMW one. The gearbox mount on my M90 is a Meyle heavy duty version, they claim it is stronger than the original one. does the driveshaft need to be shorter with the slightly thicker guibo?

I think it might be a good idea to have the drive shaft made for the thicker guibo if you're going to go with that.

What is this Meyle you speak of? How much was the transmission mount and where did you buy it from? I might be putting a M90 in the 740, and it migt be a good idea to use a new mount.

I think it might be a good idea to have the drive shaft made for the thicker guibo if you're going to go with that.

What is this Meyle you speak of? How much was the transmission mount and where did you buy it from? I might be putting a M90 in the 740, and it migt be a good idea to use a new mount.

i am going to adapt the center support to be like the grp A 242's had, 740 center support rubber piece, so i can make it slightly adjustable. No problems then if i get the driveshaft shortened 5 mm extra for a thicker guibo then.

We ordered new engine mounts for my brothers 760 with B28E and we got 2 Meyle M90/AW71/B28 mounts (Meyle p/n 514 132 8900/HD afaik, i found that via google but will check later if its correct).
I just noticed it last week that they were the HD version :lol:
I got them for a very friendly price, 20€ each. Maybe you have to order them as the V6 mounts to get the HD ones.

Driveshaft shortening

Hey JW,

Just called the shop who shortens driveshafts, they gave me a quote of 218? (including 21%VAT), not too bad I think? Let me know if you want the address...

Back