• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New 1989 744 Turbo Water Pump

daniels740

From what I read on past threads, a HEPU pump is the way to go. Should I also spring for the genuine Volvo seal?

As long as I'm replacing the pump, should I also flush the coolant system and replace the coolant? I use this stuff. And if I do flush the coolant, how would I 'burp' the system?
Also, should I change my green high-pressure coolant cap with a lower pressure one?

I realize I've asked a ton of questions so thanks in advance to everyone who will chime in!

I run black coolant cap on my stock '93 Turbo.
HEPU seal is not going to last long (did may be 30K miles for me) but the pump itself is great.
I don't think you have to bleed the air out- just start the engine, add a little, then drive, then add some more. The coolant tank is the highest point of the system and radiator has a small hose right out of the top of it.

I run black coolant cap on my stock '93 Turbo.
HEPU seal is not going to last long (did may be 30K miles for me) but the pump itself is great.
I don't think you have to bleed the air out- just start the engine, add a little, then drive, then add some more. The coolant tank is the highest point of the system and radiator has a small hose right out of the top of it.

So, .75 Bar Black cap should be alright?

The OEM gasket you want is for the top of the pump up against the head, although fcp may not stock it?

Alright, so you mean this seal #1336255, of which I have two of 'Elring' brand in cart. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I see neither FCP nor Ipd carry the OE Volvo brand one. I guess two of the Elring brand ones should be enough to keep me going. They aren't insanely cheap so I hope they are close to OE quality.

So, I should probably just remove the Volvo water pump gasket, taking the total down to $63. Thanks again for that bit of info.

Rub some silicone on the large paper gasket. I usually use blue or orange. It's good that you ordered few spare studs just in case.
Watch few videos on Youtube on the B230 water pump replacement.

Rub some silicone on the large paper gasket. I usually use blue or orange. It's good that you ordered few spare studs just in case.
Watch few videos on Youtube on the B230 water pump replacement.

Yup, just added the studs and nuts that connect the pump to the fan to have them just in case. Order's going in now. Any more suggestions for the installation are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Yeah put some sillycone or grease on that top round rubber gasket that goes between the head and the pump so it won't buckle the gasket as you slide the pump on. I did have one of the paper gaskets blow out recently, so I redid it and used permetex on that. Other then that as stated you can see two of those water pump stud holes are slotted and you need to pull up on the water pump to seal that head rubber o ring and tighten down the nuts at the same time.

Other then that as stated you can see two of those water pump stud holes are slotted and you need to pull up on the water pump...
... until you can get the two bolts into their holes as well. That's what ultimately hold the pump "in position".

A short prybar, and using the harmonic balancer as a fulcrum usually works fine. No floor jacks or 2x4s like some older threads suggest. You don't need to lift so hard that the front tires are off the ground! :-P

Back