• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for good tire choice thread

Last update.... now that I have had a chance to drive the Kumho ASX tires and wear off some more of the mold release compound, I am very pleased with them. On the dry roads they stick nicely and turn-in is quite good.

On the couple of dirt roads I was on this weekend, I was pleasantly surprised at their level of grip. Many high performance tires have become skates on the loose stuff. These actually seemed to find some grip. That's not saying there is a lot of it, just that it better then all of the other summer tires I have run recently.

YMMV

- John

I'd highly reccomend the Kumho ASX. I have them in a 225\50\16 on my 740 and they rock. The SPT is way more tire than you will want/need and is miserable in the cold weather.

The Traction T/As were the WORST POS tires I have ever felt--- well maybe some 80s Tiger Paws were worse, but that's another story. They were so bad I actually sold them long before they were worn out because they handled so utterly terrible. I put some Cooper Lifeliner SLEs on there now and have been very happy with everything about them.

Last update.... now that I have had a chance to drive the Kumho ASX tires and wear off some more of the mold release compound, I am very pleased with them. On the dry roads they stick nicely and turn-in is quite good.

On the couple of dirt roads I was on this weekend, I was pleasantly surprised at their level of grip. Many high performance tires have become skates on the loose stuff. These actually seemed to find some grip. That's not saying there is a lot of it, just that it better then all of the other summer tires I have run recently.

YMMV

- John
Well, they are "All-Season" tires after all... :) My dad has a pair on his '92 Jetta as well, I've also been pleased with them. They're a bit skinny for their size, but that's what makes them good in most weather situations. However, my dad did slide accross a road this past winter at less than 5mph on ice/snow and do a little bit of damage to his wheel and control arm... So be careful...
The SPT is way more tire than you will want/need and is miserable in the cold weather.
Good to know... Thanks Jordan!

I just ordered a set of Kumho ASX 205/55/16 and in comparing prices found a coupon from Kumho for a $40 rebate. Good for purchases made May 12 to June 2, 2007.

go to <http://www.tirerack.com/tires/specialevents/ku_rebate_07.jsp>
and go to the "download a copy of the form here."

Looks good for Kumho tires purchased from any authorized dealer.

Isn't this the standard tyre for the 940 Turbo wagon? Since it is about 25" in diameter it should give you a fairly accurate speedo reading. I'm very pleased with Sumitomo HTR H4s but I've only tried them in the 195/60/15 size.

it's good to hear these tires are working for you. I just ordered 2 in 235/40/17, after reading the reviews from dooooods that have higher powered cars than I do lol

here's the review fwiw:
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

$58 per tire, too!

Kumho Ecsta ASX discontinued - next closest relative?

I called Tire Rack because the Kumho Ecsta ASX wasn't showing up on the website in 205/55ZR/16. They said they still have it available in 205/55ZR/16 but I'd have to call to order it - it's discontinued. I am going to make an order on June 1st. If by then, they might be all gone - what would be the next closest model in the Kumho to ask for?

Thanks!

Jamie

being a few years since the last post, I wonder about the new kumho ecasta asx 205/55r/16?

I need to get some new tires for the v70awd.
We went down to hartford last night to buy some used but almost new blizzacks for a good deal... after driving an hour and a half (each way) go there and the ditzy woman had posted the wrong size tire in the add... they were 18inch tires, not 16. She wrote down the size tire she needs for her car, not the size tire she is selling. doh. She was nice enough to offer us gas money for her mistake, but I'd rather have not wasted two and a half hours of my time.

i give up on cl for now.
I'm looking at some on tirerack.com

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
Kumho Ecsta ASX
Dunlop SP Sport Signature
Fuzion VRi
Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid

Any experiences with the above?

I had the ASX on my old 945. They were excellent tires. Fantastic in the rain, good dry grip, good stability, good treadwear. Never ran them in the snow, so I can't comment on that.

I've also driven on Bridgestone Potenza G009 , the predecessor to the G019 Grid. They were also excellent tires, with the same good qualities that the Kumho ASX had. The Bridgestones were decent in the snow for what they were (and this was on a Corolla), so I'd imagine they'd be fine on a heavy AWD vehicle.

being a few years since the last post, I wonder about the new kumho ecasta asx 205/55r/16?

I need to get some new tires for the v70awd.
We went down to hartford last night to buy some used but almost new blizzacks for a good deal... after driving an hour and a half (each way) go there and the ditzy woman had posted the wrong size tire in the add... they were 18inch tires, not 16. She wrote down the size tire she needs for her car, not the size tire she is selling. doh. She was nice enough to offer us gas money for her mistake, but I'd rather have not wasted two and a half hours of my time.

i give up on cl for now.
I'm looking at some on tirerack.com

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
Kumho Ecsta ASX
Dunlop SP Sport Signature
Fuzion VRi
Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid

Any experiences with the above?

Back