• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 360 Engine swap

Which Volvo?

• Volvo 360 with either 2 litre of lesser

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ghettobird

Hi all,

Ive currently on the market to find a manual Volvo 240 for a drift project, but I haven't had any luck.

Ive just found a Volvo 360 Needing a water pump for a steal of a price.

Does anyone have any kind of experience with these chassis?
In comparison to the 240's, whish are better to work on? the 240's having the B230 series engine, and the 360 Whatever is in it.

Do they drift as well as the 240's?

If I were to pick up the 360, is a b230F drop in replacement straight forward? of is it just not worth the time?
Im on a tight budget :oops:

Cheers!

Where are you from?
Volvo 360 normally have redblock engine, so you can easy swap every rebdblock engine you want.
240 is affortable, easy to upgrade and can be easy et rapidly setup for what you want.

360 is fun, have a 50/50 weight with gearbox on rear axle.

Where are you from?
Volvo 360 normally have redblock engine, so you can easy swap every rebdblock engine you want.
240 is affortable, easy to upgrade and can be easy et rapidly setup for what you want.

360 is fun, have a 50/50 weight with gearbox on rear axle.

Im from Australia, where they aren't very common at all!

From wiki :
The 300 Series had a choice of three petrol engines; a 1.4, 1.7, and a 2.0-litre. The 1.4 litre B14 was a Renault C-series OHV pushrod unit, and for the 360 there was the B200 (originally the earlier B19 version) 2.0-litre engine taken from the Volvo 240 with outputs varying from 95 bhp (71 kW) to 118 PS (87 kW; 116 hp). A new Renault F-series 82 PS (60 kW; 81 hp) 1.7 litre petrol engine (designated the B172) was introduced in the 340 during the summer of 1985,[1] following the range facelift, along with a 340 version of the saloon, which was only available with the new engine. There was also a catalyzed version (B172K) available later on, with 75 PS (55 kW; 74 hp).[1]

So a B230F+T conversion would literally just drop in?

Mate, there's three of them in my yard...
The only ones you'll find here are 360 GLT 5 door hatch with B200.
To fit a 230 you reuse the 360 water pump, sump, mounts, flywheel and bellhousing.
Planned it but never did it.

360s drift like a dream.
50/50 weight balance is great.
240 easier to work on (more room)

seriously, get on that forum linked in a post above and do some reading.
360s are proper weapons if set up right.

If you look for a fun car a Volvo 360 can be the right thing for you.
Just look close for rust on the body because they do love to rust, if they are not you are driving some unique overthere. Check my signature for my Volvo 360 builds and get exited

Rust on the chassis is minimal, which is surprising for a cart that's been in a field sitting for 4 years
Are the Water pumps directly interchangeable? or do I have to get a specific Volvo 360 Model?

Cheers!

Rust on the chassis is minimal, which is surprising for a cart that's been in a field sitting for 4 years
Are the Water pumps directly interchangeable? or do I have to get a specific Volvo 360 Model?

Cheers!

360 ones are special because they are shorter, they are also being used on 700/900 series when people want to run a E-fan but dont have the space. I think they sell them stateside and well in europe we can get them for sure

Fair enough, I will probobly have to order one in then
Would it be possible to use a longer one from a 240 for a short period of time? Just to get the car moving?

In your experience Boris, what would be the key things to look out for when choosing a 360?

Engine is all redblock so usually if it runs/sounds okay you should be good. (anything can be picked of any redblock apart from the bellypan and oil pump) Transmission is connected with a torquetube to the gearbox in the back (hence the 50/50) is secured with a connector block those might go at one point and is sort of rare but if it drives your okay.

Any redblock water pump will fit on it but i think they will hit the radiator, maybe you could use a E-fan (on the front of the radiator and a 240 pump but i'd have to measure the distance to be sure.

The only real think i will look for is rust, they are so rusted over here but we got a whole different climate here, check under the carpets, the jackstand mounts and general see how solid it all is.

If it looks solid and runs nice (you can run it shortly without pump) and the body looks workable i'd jump on it. Get an account on V300mania and dont forget to post up here what you will do.

The only redblock that wouldn't fit, without too much modification, would be the B234 (and maybe B204?). They use a different crossmember and engine mounts.

If you could do a quick measure thatd be fantastic Mr Borrie!

Ill be seeing it again in a few weeks, so I have to plan the swap and all :)
Hopefully, I can get a pump, go to the car, fit it and drive off (Perfect world scenario)

The pump will fit but you need to pull the fan off or it will hit the rad.

The 360 is the ultimate drift car. I assume it is you who has also asked about dropping in a B230 on V3M.

If you could find one the B234 will also go in, has been done but some fabrication work will be needed to get everything to work.

The pump will fit but you need to pull the fan off or it will hit the rad.

The 360 is the ultimate drift car. I assume it is you who has also asked about dropping in a B230 on V3M.

If you could find one the B234 will also go in, has been done but some fabrication work will be needed to get everything to work.

Yeah, That's me XD

I actually just bought a working one for $500 AUD!
Im picking it up next week, so Ive got Lots of time to think of mods for it

What are the going "Mandatory" Mods? I hear replacing the rear shocks with 4WD shocks is pretty popular, and an E-fan is a Must!

I had the landrover shock for a while, They are okay but not something you NEED to do. Getting good shocks is a bit tricky altoough classicswede actually sells most of the fun stuff for 300 series.

I was also looking into brakes,

Are the rear brakes drums or disks on a 1985 GLT Model?
If so, is it worth converting to disk?

I was also looking into brakes,

Are the rear brakes drums or disks on a 1985 GLT Model?
If so, is it worth converting to disk?

Drums, i race with these kinds of cars never had real brake issue's converting to PAGID/Ferrodo blocks and SS brake lines does help

Back