• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Homer's 1990 240 redblock exorcism

Just installed a set of the Kaplhenke Hybrid Torque Arms. The adjustable poly torque rods had to go. No more poly bushings on this car.
Thoroughly impressed with the change.
-Noticeable improvement in axle articulation
-Driveline judder is gone (when disengaging the clutch under load)
-More smootherer
-Driveline is smoother under load

this is really shaking my tree... might have to try these!

Yes. Hybrid is the way to go.

Rest rubber, good, curious how 'hybrid' trailing arms would do on your 240. I'm happy with them but came from worn out aftermarket rubber. So no fair comparison.

More updates. Living in the bay area now. Still haven't quite adjusted to the lack of seasons.
240 just ticked over 50k miles on the whiteblock swap.
Rear brakes have been making noise at low speed since uh, ever. Tried everything under the sun except a rebuild. Sticky piston.
The rebuild escalated rather quickly in to powdercoating all the calipers and rebuilding the fronts too. Whoops.
OrDioGE.jpg

yqsb1Zb.jpg

zkzMMQX.jpg

While bleeding the brakes the cap on my power bleeder let go and dumped brake fluid everywhere. Turns out the threads on the aftermarket reservoir are ****. I improvised.

PlCbVgv.jpg

The original coolant reservoir was kinda bulbous and the cap was leaking so I went with retrofitting a 960 tank. OEM++ of course.
Just cut the mounting bracket off a car in the junkyard, used some simple spacers and bolted it to the strut tower. Almost like it was made for a 240.
The 940 turbo hose fit pretty well after a bit of trimming!
7R1wNB0.jpg

Aftermarket vs Genuine
SqSFrAI.jpg

Provent is doing its job even at 21 psis
figSCKv.jpg

Got the engine bay cleaned up and ready for Davis
aZx6744.jpg

Davis!
BuSNpyA.jpg

Won 1st place in the 240 group!
WAB7R5K.jpg

Most importantly, built a real workbench for the garage.
zJQkDjX.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on 1st place, engine bay looks great man. Did you stumble upon that benchtop or did you make it/have it made? When I power bleed I will be placing some c-clamps on the brake res cap for extra security! Thanks for the tip.

Congrats on 1st place, engine bay looks great man. Did you stumble upon that benchtop or did you make it/have it made? When I power bleed I will be placing some c-clamps on the brake res cap for extra security! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks! It was a drop from a sheetmetal supplier. Had a bend put in it for the front edge

Such a clean swap. What strut brace is that? I notice the Buchka 242 has the same one, I like it!

Homer said something about the brace being bespoke Boeing Spec, Offizielles Zubeh?r! OEM+++
What Chris said. It's a combo of Deeworks strut plates and brackets. Tubing developed for the 240 strut brace that later made it on to the 787 overhead compartment support struts. (okay maybe the other way around). I designed and my personal Buchka machine shop made the bond in inserts.
Longer than that. It was complete when I stayed with him in 2013 and he drove it to IPD that year.

Anything over 3 years and no issues is great to me. 6 years. Impressive.
Thanks! but don't forget there was that thing in the fall of 2014 where I burnt up a few exhaust valves because I didn't use genuine Volvo valve stem seals. Otherwise it's been super solid. I'll make a list of the more minor issues sometime

Last edited:
Thanks! but don't forget there was that thing in the fall of 2014 where I burnt up a few exhaust valves because I didn't use genuine Volvo valve stem seals. Otherwise it's been super solid. I'll make a list of the more minor issues sometime

I completely forgot about that. Now its time to upgrade that window washer reservoir

A little (big) update. Bought a super clean set of Recaro SR3s in black velour. Super excited to go take this for a drive up in the mountains.
1lHgKgm.jpg

326AW6G.jpg

Keeping the 3 point belts or going bananas on a harness? IPD this year now that it's only about 8 hours away? I'd love to see this car, been following since you pulled the redblock out!

Keeping the 3 point belts or going bananas on a harness? IPD this year now that it's only about 8 hours away? I'd love to see this car, been following since you pulled the redblock out!

Just going to stay with the 3 point setup. My main goal was to sit lower and not slide around.

Not sure if I will make it up to IPD, i think its a 10 hour drive for me.

Back