• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Speedometer shuts off every now and then along with the odometer.

I had the same issue. It was loose connections on the back of the cluster. Make sure everything is double checked. I had to pull it twice until I found the connection that was doing it.

I had the same issue. It was loose connections on the back of the cluster. Make sure everything is double checked. I had to pull it twice until I found the connection that was doing it.

The connections that press onto the circuitboard behind the speedo? I've pulled it and squeezed each connector so it clamps onto the circuit board firmly. It's on there tight and I taped it in place to reduce any movement from vibrations. After a few days of driving, the speedo seems to fail more during the morning when it's cold and rarely during the day when it's hotter outside.

Last edited:
This sounds promising. I have a sedan, but I think I know where the little box the diff wiring goes into, the one that goes up the left side of the trunk right? So I'll just have to get that new wiring set and replace the wiring up to the box?

Yup, you'll have to pry that open. You can also use that test method in the clean flametrap link someone posted above. You don't have to replace that whole harness, usually just cutting back and splicing into a good section of wire is fine. I did make myself a separate harness further down, though. Used a 2-pin connector from the power windows on my parts car to make a shorter harness with new wire. I didn't have time to wait for new wire and clips in the mail, so I used some rubber booted bullet connectors from somewhere else on the parts car, too.

It acted up a 2nd time and when I pulled the clip off, it was full of water. So it's worth buying new wiring with rubber boots that are in good shape. That wiring is subject to the elements more than most.

The connections that press onto the circuitboard behind the speedo? I've pulled it and squeezed each connector so it clamps onto the circuit board firmly. It's on there tight and I taped it in place to reduce any movement from vibrations. After a few days of driving, the speedo seems to fail more during the morning when it's cold and rarely during the day when it's hotter outside.

I had that issue, too. Moisture in the morning was getting into the diff connector and making it worse.

Yup, you'll have to pry that open. You can also use that test method in the clean flametrap link someone posted above. You don't have to replace that whole harness, usually just cutting back and splicing into a good section of wire is fine. I did make myself a separate harness further down, though. Used a 2-pin connector from the power windows on my parts car to make a shorter harness with new wire. I didn't have time to wait for new wire and clips in the mail, so I used some rubber booted bullet connectors from somewhere else on the parts car, too.

It acted up a 2nd time and when I pulled the clip off, it was full of water. So it's worth buying new wiring with rubber boots that are in good shape. That wiring is subject to the elements more than most.

Alright, I'll check out the diff wiring as soon as I can.

So after checking everything and driving for a couple months, it boils down to just temperature. When it's morning or at night and it's colder, the speedometer acts up. But if I'm driving during the day when everything is heated up, the speedometer is perfect. What could be the issue? Is the temperature affecting solder connections?

So after checking everything and driving for a couple months, it boils down to just temperature. When it's morning or at night and it's colder, the speedometer acts up. But if I'm driving during the day when everything is heated up, the speedometer is perfect. What could be the issue? Is the temperature affecting solder connections?

That is a tough one, maybe some electrolytic capacitors in the speedo going south? When the temp comes up they can drift in and out of spec, maybe the temp coming up is causing them to be just enough out of spec to not work?

That could possibly be something causing it. I'll have to really inspect the assembly with my dad some time to find any culprits.

In the past when I have had a speedo on the bench out of the cluster, I just change out all the caps in it (I think there are three or four total) and hopefully eliminate that as a potential issue.

Back