• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 ZF (Type 3) PWR Steering Rack Rebuild/Diagram Help

Chuck W

So, a couple of years ago, I swapped a used ZF (type 3) rack (from KJets on a Plane) into the '80 264, to replace the dead CAM rack that was in it.
ZFrack.jpg

Everything was groovy until over the past month or so.

It's developed a rattle on the pass side going over bumps. Not so much when everything is loaded, but more low-speed, straight stuff.

At first I was figuring maybe tie rod, or even ball joint. The car doesn't wander at speed, and the steering doesn't feel loose at all.

I got under it today and started messing around, and it looks like the rack itself on the pass side has a little play in it. I can get it to knock and I see a slight bit of movement when I have the boot pulled back.

I'm guessing there is a bushing or a bearing in there that *could* be replaced, but I can't seem to find any diagrams or info on the Type 3 ZF power rack.
The seals are all good, and there are no leaks, just the play in the rack causing the noise.

My Google-fu has only yielded info on the ZF manual rack and rebuild threads on here for another one of the ZF racks, but not the Type 3.

I've found seal/rebuild kits for it, but can't tell if there are any replacement bushings/bearings in the kits.
Would THIS be one?

The inter tie rod fails and is replaceable. I have had significant play in more than one.

I pulled the boot back to verify that it wasn't the inner tie rod. The tie rods are good. The movement/knocking is in the pass side of the rack itself.

Doing more searching.

Info in THIS thread , cross-referenced with THIS SITE, gives the the info that it would use the seal kit 271562-1 and the rack should be marked with 1329694 and my tag on the back shows 7832955106, which is the "Type 3" ZF.

I still can't find any breakdowns of the Type 3 rack like mine (without the extra pass side housing).

Last edited:
OK, so a little more searching netted THIS THREAD HERE.

Not a whole lot if disassembly info, but at least there is someone who has pulled one of these apart.

Looks like there is a bushing of sorts on the far side of the tube. Hopefully it's in the kit. If not...guess I need to make one.

Give Jorgen Automotive a call. They rebuilt a ZF type 3 for me and should be able to provide parts and any advice you might need.
Phone: (734) 971-6700 Roger is the guru.

It's in the green book how to take it apart, but honestly if you don't have the tools/machining capabilities to remake/rebush an odd assortment of NLA parts and know what you're doing, just let Jorgen do it

Wish you luck, sorry to hear you didn't get another whole decade outta it!

If you can point me in the right direction on WHICH Greenbook, that would be helpful. ;-)

The only stuff I've found in any Greenbooks (Or other diagrams) I've been able to dig up are for manual racks (ZF and CAM), power CAM racks, and every other Type of ZF rack but the Type 3.

I'm not afraid of any of the work, just trying to find some info on it.

I installed this rack just under 2 years ago and I checked my records...I have MAYBE 2,000 miles on it after the install. (The car is a nice-weather car, but nice weather also means I ride my bike to work, instead of drive, so...)

The rattle is more annoying than anything at this point, but I want to address it. Other than that, the rack is solid and leak-free.:nod:

Back