• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

It'll buff out? 242

Duh, now I see it, to the frame. I asked because I have seen similar setups that were bolted to the floor. Didn't think about the frame, brain freeze. Just watched a guy pop out a dent in a 1/4 panel using a deflated basketball and hand pump. It worked on the new soft metal car.

Yep its attached to the car. I am not 100% sure where, I will check.
I finally broke my HF spot weld drill bit (one half) after 75? spot welds. Figured I lucked out. :)
Going to cut the rail tomorrow to continue the pull, luckily I have a decent one from the quarter I got from Mechanicman.

The dog is like an old car, has quirks. Timmy likes to bark his tiny little Chihuahua head off at visitors no big deal but its annoying. He has a taste for ankles , almost got TestPoint when he stopped for a visit a few years back.
Most of the time he is great.

Action video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFjjVovKBpo

Last edited:
I have thought about adding pots to the floor. Still may someday.
Would have come in handy during this project.

We really want to see you cut that old mangled quarter off the car, and spotweld on the replacement. How hard can it be? You pay for what you get..... and I suspect you might not be happy with that "straightened" original.

Cute dog.... my wife would subscribe just to see that single pic!

We really want to see you cut that old mangled quarter off the car, and spotweld on the replacement. How hard can it be? You pay for what you get..... and I suspect you might not be happy with that "straightened" original.

Cute dog.... my wife would subscribe just to see that single pic!

:nod:

In good time, my man, wadded up like that it won't even fit if it isn't pulled first.

Cool project; nice to see this one getting saved.

Assuming that the pulling is to straighten the underlying car as much as possible before replacing the outer quarter skin.

It's coming out so good, I don't see much cutting and welding in my near future. We did find a small rust hole that will need a small patch.
Hammer and dolly plus some shrinking. Looking at very little Bondo.
I will have a section of the rail to weld on.
Coronas from the Bertone.

Attachments

• IMG_20181118_162144268.jpg
    IMG_20181118_162144268.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_20181118_162210167.jpg
    IMG_20181118_162210167.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20181118_162230067.jpg
    IMG_20181118_162230067.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20181118_171604_01.jpg
    IMG_20181118_171604_01.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 288
Congratulations.
All ways the better way, to straighten first as much as possible. I wouldn't swap the quarter too.
Good job.

I would like to find a good 242 like yours in my country, Kay

Came out pretty darn good! Now that hammer & dolly man is going to have some hours in making that thing "straight" again. Nice progress.

That turned out really great! I don't see a lot of hammer and work. Should turn out nice. A guide coat afterwards will tell the story. Get a long straightedge on there and compare to the other side.

Get a long straightedge on there and compare to the other side.

Don't think a straight edge will help much -- pretty sure that panel has a slight curve from top to bottom and front front to back. Perhaps some kind of profile gauge. They look 'square' - but they're not.

Thanks for the replys.
Funny about the straight edge.
Larry, who is doing 95 percent of the work, asked for a straight edge laughing said one body shop he worked at told him "If I ever see you with a straight edge, your fired!" :omg:
It comes in handy finding low spots.
Plus, like Nels was getting at, it helps you see the curvature that you can compare to the other side.

Looking very good.

Do you have/have access to a spotter? You'd be able to raise those low spots fairly exactly.

Thanks. Stud welder? I am currently looking at the Motor Guard and the H&S. Reading reviews. Been wanting one.

Back