• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Changed head now temp gauge shows low

thismachine13

'89 245 +t stock engine otherwise. Temp gauge mod performed.

Recently swapped cylinder heads due to a crack along where the valve cover gasket sits, allowing oil to drizzle out onto the exhaust manifold. Pulled salvage head from '87 or '88 244 and have installed it properly. Also installed a new (salvage) damper as the old one had separated and the outer pulley was spinning independent of the damper.

Car runs well (as well as it can with only a downpipe) but where the temp gauge previously would be just a pubic hair above halfway of the gauge it now only rises to a quarter of the gauge. At first I thought it to be a failed (open) thermostat, but replaced it and temp gauge shows the same quarter rise. Heater gets good and hot I might add.

Temp sensor in new head is different than the '89 (possibly '90) temp sensor in the cracked head?

Damper pulley now spinning water pump properly and is cooling better?

I always thought a tick above halfway was the "correct" temp reading.

All 240's use the same temp sender. It's probably the new (to you) crank pulley actually turning the pump now.

4f98e5552f7537885e88566c1f0489bf.jpg

Back