• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Seized strut collar?

Magnanimous

So I'm trying to replace my struts for the first time, and the collar holding the cartridge in the tube appears to be completely seized. With the strut loose, I'm having a lot of trouble getting enough leverage to actually break it free.

https://i.imgur.com/ViGXEna.jpg

Any suggestions or tips for breaking that lose?

PB Blaster and a drift and hammer. Air chisel with a blunt ended chisel. It will ruin the gland nut, however, your new cartridge should have new nuts included with it.

Heat strut tube with torch, immediately cool with water to save a good used cartridge. You may also find it easier to loosen this nut while the strut is still installed on the car.

I had the same problem when doing the struts on my 740.

My local indie Volvo shop removed the nut for me for $20.
Posted via Mobile Device

I used giant pliars and a pipe wrench, one person stands on the pliars clamped to the tube to immobalize it on the floor, then put the pipe wrench at a 15 degree angle on the collar and jump on it after the pb blaster and torch or course.

I was going to say 'use a spanner wrench', but in the picture, you already have one.

I've used a spanner, air hammer, pipe wrench... anything but the spanner trashes the gland nut. air hammer will be the fastest I expect. I use the U shaped chisel one. I've also had good luck with the spanner and a hammer as well.

I always break this one loose, but don't remove it all the way, as the first step basically before removing anything. It gives you something to push against when it is still mounted to the car... now you know.

I always break this one loose, but don't remove it all the way, as the first step basically before removing anything. It gives you something to push against when it is still mounted to the car... now you know.

Yep. My son and I had the same issue. We had to reinstall the strut, loosen the gland nut, and take it back off. It was a pain but much less irritating than wrestling with multiple wrenches etc.

Lesson learned.

That works once you?ve got a relatively new one on, but when the car has 250000 miles on original struts in salt country...good luck.

Back