• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

volvo 244 motorswap to b230fk

gijsturbo

volvo 244 motorswap to b230fk - "the ambassador"

Swapping a B230FK and M90 into a 240 automatic

Yes we are certainly not the first guys to do it, but we (me and a mate) are trying to swap out the tired old 450.000km b230k for a B230fk out of a 97 940.

So far we’ve completely rebuild the B230FK. Pistonrings, bearings, seals, waterpump, the lot. In addition we swapped out the old camshaft for a nice IPD one with the variable timingwheel and relocated the back mounted distributor for a block mounted dizzy.

Next on the to do list is fit the turbo (we are waiting on the gasket) and give the transmission a service (also waiting on parts. Seals and oil).
If those things are finished were pretty much ready to pull out the old engine and start putting in the new one. However before we do we would like to make sure we’ve got everything we need an get as little surprises as possible.

For the transmission we know that well need to bang out the transmission tunnel to fit the M90, need fabricate a bracket to fit it to the original support bracket and shorten/fabricate the driveshaft to fit the 240.
For the engine we know bold the old mount on the new engine to make it fit. But we can’t figure out how to wire the thing.
We have the ECU and wiring loom from the 940 (jetronc bosch 0 280 000 984) there apparently is an immobiliser issue with this so we are thinking to get another ECU (983) or try and source the 940 keys. But were also missing the EZK (didn’t come with the engine). So we might have to pickup one of those as well, but if we have those things were still unsure of how to make it work in the 240.
The 240 is form 1989 has a b230K with carbs and is running on a Bendix ECU (volvo 1367058). Does anyone know the easiest way to make this work?

picture's: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188901178@N05/albums/72157714734689067

Last edited:
Get a harness from a 240 that has LH 2.4. Use that. It would be way easier. Only 4 wires to make it run. 1989 and newer 240's use lh2.4 in the states. Not sure if 240's ever got lh2.4 in UK. Add the resistor pack for the stock turbo injectors or use newer high impedance injectors. Then just need to extend the AMM wiring to the passenger side for the AMM pre turbo.

For the 984 ECU you can put in a 9xx turbo chip and it will run without worrying about immobilizer. I put 967 tuned chip in 984 box myself. For EZK get turbo EZK say 148 or 219 or similar turbo 2.4 one.

If you get a 983 ECU read the chip and post the bin..

LH 2.4 needs flywheel with sensor holes 60-2 and crank sensor. You'll need flywheel with those holes. Like a 97 940 has stock but best to ditch the dual mass flywheel and use aftermarket billet steel one or stock dog dish type with sensor holes..

Last edited:
It's not hard, but you'll need to read up about LH wiring and chipping as sbabbs says. European 240's got LH2.4 from around 1991, so be aware of that when reading on this predominantly US forum.

The 3 choices for wiring are:
1: Use the 940 loom modified to fit. A lot of work.
2: Get a LH loom from a 240
3: Get a aftermarket loom from a chap called Elbert. (easiest option)
https://www.elbertbos.nl/index.php/en/

The M90 shouldn't need the tunnel modifying. It just about fits without.
The turbo doesn't need a gasket between manifold and turbine housing.
You may need the temperature gauge sensor from the original 240 engine to match the car.

And fuel pump. You'll need to fit and wire in a high pressure fuel pump for the injection system.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips, i will get a LH loom from a 240 to wire it up.
For the ECU i'm going to try to get the keys and contact from the same 940 as the motor, the guy who sold it to me still has the car (uses it for demolition derby).
I will also see if he still has the EZK that came with the engine.
For the flywheel i allready got one with sensorhole's from the wreckers.

Before i heard that you could use the fuelpump from a 240 but this is probably only if there was allready a injection engine in and not an old carb engine.
When i visit the wreckers i will also get the pump.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips, i will get a LH loom from a 240 to wire it up.
For the ECU i'm going to try to get the keys and contact from the same 940 as the motor, the guy who sold it to me still has the car (uses it for demolition derby).
I will also see if he still has the EZK that came with the engine.
For the flywheel i allready got one with sensorhole's from the wreckers.

Before i heard that you could use the fuelpump from a 240 but this is probably only if there was allready a injection engine in and not an old carb engine.
When i visit the wreckers i will also get the pump.

I actually have a spare second set of a 984 ecu and a 148 (turbo 940), which I'd be willing to chip to a 967 mapping for you, then you can get rid of the immobilization, feel free to send me a message in dutch:-P

I've upgraded to a walboro 450 in-tank only pump myself, a 255lph would also work in your application which allows you to keep the stock fuel pressure regulator (mine didn't cope with the bigger pump), the stock setup consists of 2 pumps, one in tank and one under the car, and is a bit outdated:)

Back