• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 whp with b230f

Click on my NLMGG link in my sig and read a bunch of BS for a few days.

Basically, shave the head some(.030" minimum), put a thin headgasket on(.036" maximum), put in the K or H cam(or something with over 12mm of lift and 280? duration) and peak hp will have to be around 6,000 rpm which will require a properly sized header. LH2.2 can probably do it with the fuel pressure raised, but the fun will still stop at 6200rpm or whatever the rev limit is. It's much more fun to go to 7000 than 6200 in my car... ;-) The B21F intake manifold will help as well, the B230 one sucks for power.

Right now my car has too small of a header and the B230 intake on it that are choking things up top. That's why you aren't seeing more than 139whp on any of my old dyno sheets.

Last edited:
Maybe everyone will think I'm lame and maybe I won't mind but if I had an NA power goal I'd just put on some DCOEs.

You still need the compression and cam, just slapping on dual sidedrafts with no other supporting mods and you might as well left it stock.

Well I felt that went without saying. I think it's six in one hand and half a dozen in the other. I just like carbs :lol:

But yes, the same modifications would be necessary either way.

You can modify a 530 head to look pretty darn close to a 531 head. You just need the right connections and/or tools. The 530 head can flow really well with proper porting work, and the chamber can easily be re-shaped to unshroud the valves.
A larger intake plenum would also be mucho beneficial. The stock runners are very small in regard to other performance engines with similar cylinder size. They are also impossible to completely enlarge due to their length and shape. You could mod an intake using the stock flanges, aluminum tubing, and some sheet metal. The downside, once again, is having access to these tools or knowing people who will work on that for you.
If you want serious NA power you will need compression, probably more cam than a K or VX , and more fuel/air in and out.

Maybe everyone will think I'm lame and maybe I won't mind but if I had an NA power goal I'd just put on some DCOEs.
Not worth it for 140whp, unless you like the look and sound. But of course, a set of 48s or 50s with cam, compression and head work sufficient for 190-240whp would be fun.
You still need the compression and cam, just slapping on dual sidedrafts with no other supporting mods and you might as well left it stock.
Well, it'll help, but not worth it, agreed.
what about this: 531 head + vx cam should make 100kW, + some nice 2,5??manifold with exhaust and you got it,huh?
That's 140hp at the crank, before the exhaust...
Sheet metal intake.
Not required for 140whp, but it'll make it much easier to get there and go above!

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a cheap NA race header, circle track headers for Ford 2.3 are $130 from speedway motors. Same exact port spacing, I bet you may even be able to move the bolt holes and get it to bolt on. I have no idea how it will fit with regards to the rest of the car. 200hp out of a carbureted 2.3 is normal for the circle track guys. Food for thought.

If anyone is looking for a cheap NA race header, circle track headers for Ford 2.3 are $130 from speedway motors. Same exact port spacing, I bet you may even be able to move the bolt holes and get it to bolt on. I have no idea how it will fit with regards to the rest of the car. 200hp out of a carbureted 2.3 is normal for the circle track guys. Food for thought.

Some have used one half of a V8 header setup with a new flange welded on which is more or less the same concept and might actually be cheaper due to volume of the V8 motors and sales.

Some have used one half of a V8 header setup with a new flange welded on which is more or less the same concept and might actually be cheaper due to volume of the V8 motors and sales.

I thought of that, but most V8s use a paired/siamesed middle section. I think LS engines use equal spaced ports though, but headers for those are generally more expensive. The 2.3/lima/pinto flange could fit with minimal fab work. Like redrill the flange, or possible add an ear of material. Probably no need to weld on an entirely new flange. I'll try and post up some pictured of the exhaust gasket on a Volvo head later on today.

Link to Speedway Header: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-23-Ford-Pinto-Late-Model-Headers,31661.html

Its a copy of the Esslinger header. Here's a dyno chart and some build information: http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/general/ctrp_0504_23_stock_crate_engine_overview/photo_16.html

I believe they are using 1 5/8 primaries that step up to 1 3/4, then up to 3in at the collector. One thing to remember is that this is for a race engine, it's probably not going to run great at lower rpms (but I doubt it's worse than stock). Our 500cc air cooled singles are at 46 crank, with a 2-valve head, and 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 exhaust. Lift is in the 0.525in range, and CR is 11.5:1. Freight train is a good way to describe how the bikes ride, they pull all the way to about 7k with redline at 8k.

Back