• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Welded v band to turbo housing

nathaninwa

The Beloved Oarnge Juice
300+ Club
I was just looking through the forsale section and saw a stainless vband flange welded to the hotside of a turbo housing. Now I have been tig welding for 16 years, and have welded cat iron to cast iron with cast rod, and a 309 type ss rod, but have only brazed na manifolds before. What type of filler material is used when doing the stainless to the cast (I assume) housing and not have it crack out? That would be way easier than trying to build a flange and a get it sealed to the housing.

. Now I have been tig welding for 16 years, and have welded cat iron to cast iron with cast rod, and a 309 type ss rod,

309L (I dunno if they actually sell 309 without the "L" designation- but anyways make sure it has the L) should work great.

I would preheat the housing, just because it's a small enough part it's easy to do - so might as well - nothing crazy, but a few hundred degrees certainly wouldn't hurt. 20 minutes in the barbecue or some time with a torch ought to do it.

If you don't have any easy means to preheat it you could try it with no preheat, you'll be able to tell right away if it will work without preheat or not.

I use pure nickel rod for repairing cast iron and welding mild steel to cast iron.

I talk to the weld supply shop who called the tig rod distributor shop. Your right, i forgot the L, but spout off with numbers like 316 without the letter all the time, call it a welders bad habit! Anyway, they suggested 309lmo low carbon with malibdimen (sp), supposed to be great for the heat cycles. he also suggested using some nickel stick rod and run a pass around the housing to help the blend of materials. Along with the preheat, the cool down is very important to do it slow. If any cracking will take place it will be on the initial cool down, after that, should take all the heat cycles I give it. And they recomend to use the 309lmo to weld my 304 parts to my 409 DP material, and to weld my 304 pipe together for my header.

I have a pound of .045 on order.

Thanks for your responce Captain

yeah somthing with a high nickle content, i did mine with a regular steel rod and got a few small cracks but i gouged them and fixed them. silicon bronze works well. but i think its to soft for the heat of the turbo.

Here is example how we solve the problem.

We welded together original HX40 flange and new 3" vband.

P9200080.jpg

yeah somthing with a high nickle content, i did mine with a regular steel rod and got a few small cracks but i gouged them and fixed them. silicon bronze works well. but i think its to soft for the heat of the turbo.

The important thing as was mentioned is low carbon content in this case.

You can do it like Juha shows too.

Garrett's V-bands are welded on from the factory. It looks like nickel or cast rod- but the vband isn't stainless.

Here's my T04R's hotside:
DSC01220.jpg

I was just looking through the forsale section and saw a stainless vband flange welded to the hotside of a turbo housing. Now I have been tig welding for 16 years, and have welded cat iron to cast iron with cast rod, and a 309 type ss rod, but have only brazed na manifolds before. What type of filler material is used when doing the stainless to the cast (I assume) housing and not have it crack out? That would be way easier than trying to build a flange and a get it sealed to the housing.

Now, do you welding v-band on turbocharger??

Not sure why you bumped this thread from 8 years ago. Turbo exhaust housings are cast steel though. They weld fine with any standard filler rod for steel. Used er70 to TIG a v-band onto several turbos with no issues. No shenanigans needed.

I have a bolt on solution that I had made for my 19T that I never got around to using. It will work for a 15g flat flange. Willing to sell it if anyone is interested. This would be for a 3" DP.

Tim

Back