• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"Boat", the 1992 240 Wagon

ESvSHPlh.jpg

QJv2Ptfh.jpg

rlDCm7Qh.jpg

Decided to drain the trans fluid from the old trans. Chocolate brown. I had done a 12 qt flush only a year ago. Definitely on its last legs, as this fluid should still be red.

513ugOYh.jpg

Donor trans from roy looked nice on the inside. I installed a new filter and pan gasket. I was going to change the kickdown cable to a NOS one but it actually looks really good.

lm6shchh.jpg

I also cleaned up the outside. Not sure if I want to spray it with some engine clear or not.

gsnxQamh.jpg

Did you buy ipd color matched 189 spray paint? I've used it before for small repair jobs like that and it works great. You can blend repair pretty well.

Did you buy ipd color matched 189 spray paint? I've used it before for small repair jobs like that and it works great. You can blend repair pretty well.

Yep. It looks pretty good. Still need to wet sand it and buff it a bit

I will say though, I bought 2 cans and the nozzles are very disappointing. The color is great but man those cans are rough to use. Lots of gargling and spatter. I thought I just got a defective one, but the 2nd one I opened up had the exact same issue. It's under the battery tray so it's not gonna be very visible. Still thankful that a company even makes color matched beater-volvo rattlecans, so I guess beggars can't be choosers

Nice work! I'm jealous of the Texas metal. lol

I'm very thankful. My daily is from Pennsylvania had lots of little rust spots hiding. Once I got them where they could drain/dry, they have not gotten worse at all. Cars here never seem to advance past surface rust really...

Here's a good example. Bare steel out here just does this, it takes forever to get crumbly. The sun does a good job of baking out any trapped water.

7kny4VWl.jpg

I will say though, I bought 2 cans and the nozzles are very disappointing. The color is great but man those cans are rough to use. Lots of gargling and spatter. I thought I just got a defective one, but the 2nd one I opened up had the exact same issue. It's under the battery tray so it's not gonna be very visible. Still thankful that a company even makes color matched beater-volvo rattlecans, so I guess beggars can't be choosers

I wonder if they changed suppliers that use a different nozzle. All the ones I bought work incredibly well for a spray can when compared to products like dupli-color.

Nice work! I'm jealous of the Texas metal. lol

Usually 89-93 cars are pretty solid. You get that typical surface rust in the engine bay and random places. Anything before 89, it will have some sort of rust. Not from salt but usually for windshield leak(they leaked from the factory!) or heater valve leak. One of my 242s has the typical butt check rust(not too bad really), the other 242 has no butt cheek rust but is rotted along the rear tail light panel(which is common on 242s and 240s of that ear). Main point being, the rust we do get is manageable and not overwhelming.

"5 New 195/75R14 Goodyear Wrangler AT tires, powdercoated OE 14" steelies" -- How do you like those tires as compared to regular passenger car tires? Do they make a lot of noise? Do you know if they do any better in snow than regular tires?

"5 New 195/75R14 Goodyear Wrangler AT tires, powdercoated OE 14" steelies" -- How do you like those tires as compared to regular passenger car tires? Do they make a lot of noise? Do you know if they do any better in snow than regular tires?

They are not a whisper louder than the Michelin defenders they replaced. Extremely quiet for a AT tire.

They did great in 1ft+ of snow, up to ~1.5 ft of snow on untraveled trails. Did get stuck once though when I accidentally found the shoulder of the trail and got in the ditch.

Last edited:
Been a little lazy on updates... engine's in (thanks for the help @aharres), took it on a test drive, all's good, just getting AC dialed in... tried weighing out the refrigerant but the hose that i used to add it in leaked so my measurements went out the window.

For my AC, I made two last minute decisions:
-r134a
-fixed orifice tube

I guess if I can't get a good temp at idle I'll try out either the envirosafe refrigerant or a variable
orifice tube.

Also trying to find a good place to mount my trans cooler... anyway, lots of updates coming soon, but we're back up & running at least

hbdJ6ldh.jpg

Very sad day for Boat.

An aggressive driver in a lifted truck pulled around me today in a single lane turning right onto the highway service road and dented my rear quarter panel, ripped off my trim pieces, and mangled the front fender and front support member.

And then proceeded to lie to the police about it. I'm hoping a business nearby has footage that corroborates my story.

Really bummed

nfcpFGFh.jpg

87PFGn6h.jpg

j87YgOeh.jpg

Last edited:
Mangled !!!!

Oh geee so sorry about that . Thats why I am purchasing a cam for the wagon. Here in Chicago people really drive stupid and good thing i have heavy duty brakes and a reinforced front bumper assembly with a custom made bull guard. I hope someone has some cameras around :omg::oops::oops::oops:

Oh geee so sorry about that . Thats why I am purchasing a cam for the wagon. Here in Chicago people really drive stupid and good thing i have heavy duty brakes and a reinforced front bumper assembly with a custom made bull guard. I hope someone has some cameras around :omg::oops::oops::oops:

There's a business with a camera facing the exact direction of the incident but they can't check it until Tuesday.

I was completely stationary. Stopped, waiting to complete a right hand turn when a douchebag in a lifted pickup pulled around me (in a single lane road) to turn right in front of me (maybe I was too slow for him?) and got too close and proceeded to grind against my car.

I have a dashcam in my garage. It should have been in my car.
Folks, if you don't have one, get one. If you have one, install it and test it. I'm very mad at myself.

Back