• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B234 head/cam carrier anaerobic sealer

8587turbo

In near future I'll be putting the cam carrier onto the head & would like to find out if using Permatex Gasket Making Compound 51813 is a good choice for this job ? Or is there a better anaerobic Gasket Maker ? No VOLVO dealers within 4 hrs drive. Thanks

The trick for me has been to use a short bristle roller to apply it. If you apply too much it will block oil passages.

In near future I'll be putting the cam carrier onto the head & would like to find out if using Permatex Gasket Making Compound 51813 is a good choice for this job ? Or is there a better anaerobic Gasket Maker ? No VOLVO dealers within 4 hrs drive. Thanks

Order Volvo sealer from fcp. Just add a couple of small things you'll be over $49 for free shipping.

I'm not sure what IPD sells as a replacement. *checking IPD site*

IIRC it was something else other than this stuff?
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/114...ler-chemical-gasket-mahle-bul1271200-30644517

Dunno, but I had the head on and off my 16VT motor more than I liked (ahem) and always meticulously cleaned and prepped the surface with rubbing alcohol so it was shiny, spotless, and dry. And used the $40 Volvo sealer maybe 2 times and it was always dry. Used the IPD stuff one single time - exact same procedure, and had a modest amount of seepage along the outside edges. So I went back to the OEM Volvo pink stuff and it was dry again the next few times I did it.

YMMV, etc.

^good advice & Loctite 510

Did some research & found this on matthews volvo site. Its a 3 page thread but worth reading.

LOCTITE 518 is less than $10. on Ebay

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f

Post by ThommyKent ? Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:06 am
The Volvo anaerobic is made by Loctite.

If you look on the Safety Data Sheet for Loctite 518 it says this:

2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
LOCTITE 518 IND 6ML
2096062 2096062 United States
Anaerobic Adhesive None identified

If you look at the Safety Data Sheet for the Volvo anaerobic it says this:

2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Anaerobic Gasket Maker 518
495539 37530
United States
Anaerobic Adhesive None identified

Notice the Volvo is described as Anaerobic Gasket Maker 518 meaning it is Loctite 518

They are both manufactured by Henkel AG of Germany

The Permatex will work just fine as it is 518 also, but they do not manufacture the Volvo

Last edited:
Back