• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Cooling system pressure test

NONHOG

equal opportunity car guy
Is the Volvo reservoir cap unique in thread style/pitch? I need to chase a leak and have a pressure tester for the night but wonder if Snap-On model # SVTS262B will work?

I don't need a Volvo SST do I?

A 'free' rental from the local Advance/O'Rilley/AutoZone is going to include an 'universal' connector that closes the reservoir with a simple device that looks like an ice cream cone. It is inserted as far as it goes and then expanded with an internal expansion device.

Don't know nothing 'bout no Snap-On tools.

Last edited:
The brake master and expansion tank caps are the same thread. If you have a motive power bleeder you can us it to pressurize the cooling system.

Good info guys. Thanks! I ended up not using the SO tester. I hooked up my bicycle pump to a variety of hoses and found my leak or at least I'm very close to it.

How about putting a T in the large hose on the expansion tank. Some fitting that would accept a screw on cap when not in use. Or, just a T and extension to temporally go between the hose and tank.

How about putting a T in the large hose on the expansion tank. Some fitting that would accept a screw on cap when not in use. Or, just a T and extension to temporally go between the hose and tank.

This ^^

But do it in the small hose so you don't lose any coolant doing it. Do this if you want to check if that cap really relieves pressure before that 7/9 series heater control valve does.

rad031.jpg

But we're talking 240 so take a spare cap and add a fitting. Remove the valve guts. Works with TB-style pressure testers, or just to get the coolant out faster.

rubbermaid02.jpg

rubbermaid03.jpg

Not pretty but it worked. I capped the larger reservoir hose so I didn't have a cap to deal with. May not work in higher pressure situations. My case it showed itself right away.

Attachments

• leak 00640.jpg
    leak 00640.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 79
Back