• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Pintle cap fell into injector port

`pr0digy

So I needed to fix a leaking injector in order to pass inspection. Noticed that one (non-leaking) injector had the plastic hard washer sitting NEXT to the port after I removed the injector. The rubber o-ring was sitting in the port... I *think* I heard the pintle cap fall into the port when I snagged the oring with a screwdriver, but I'm not 100%...

For what it's worth, the injector did seem extra-hard to pull out of the port. What's my next step now? Remove the intake manifold? Will that allow me to retrieve it? Since it's plastic, can I just ignore it and hope it burns up? :-(

edit// I took out a flashlight, I can see the cap laying on the intake valve. I tried using a vacuum, but failed (I need a hose *just* as big as the injector hole, which I don't have), and tried sticking some duct tape to a screw driver, no dice there, either.

Last edited:
dammit boy...you don't chew DUBBLE BUBBLE??...it has to be
JUST STICKY and not "loose and sugary"....that and a soda straw....
some day I'll regale you with my story of the "spark plug titty"
and the hemi-head XK120 Jag I was tuning (mine BTW)...

Quit being a sissy and remove that intake manifold, sissy.

I guess I'll have to. Just got a new gasket for it, losing light so I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

How involved of a job is it? Can I just slide it back a bit to get access to the ports, or will I need to remove all the things connected to it? I need to be up and running for work on Monday, hopefully...

Just unbolt the intake mani and disconnect the appropriate hoses. Should be able to do this within a couple hrs providing you don't spend all day fishing for the friggin pintle cap...
Might have to disconnect the breather box hoses (under the mani) and probably would be wise to disconnect the 1" (?) hose to the IAC under the mani as well.

It's a easy job - just be aware of all of the hoses and don't break any of them (some can be brittle)

On the 940, there is a support bracket under the mani, you will need to remove the bolt on that too. Itmos a pita to get back and aligned when you go put the bolt back in.

As always, you gents were right. Manifold came off easy enough - 8 nuts, a few vac lines, and 1 screw in the bracket underneath. Ended up just bending that bracket back a bit, out of the way. The #(1, or 4)? cyl., nearest the radiator, had a corroded stud and took a bit of force to get off. No real problems, it took ~2 hours to get the mani off, reassemble, and get the injectors back in place. A long punch with some duct tape around it grabbed the errant pintle cap easily enough, with some patience.

One question - I lost one of the mani nuts to the engine bay. I looked for quite a while, can't find it. Anyone know what size/etc the nut is, so I can grab another one from the store?

I'd just take one of the nuts with you and find a bolt that threads through it then you will know the thread and pitch bolt you need :)

- SNIP -
One question - I lost one of the mani nuts to the engine bay. I looked for quite a while, can't find it. Anyone know what size/etc the nut is, so I can grab another one from the store?

it's NOT down a PORT or MANIFOLD RUNNER??....eeewwwww....:omg:

look for it on the SUBFRAME...that's where all MY errant hardware usually ends up
and there's STILL a couple of nuts INSIDE one of the ends of the left control arm!! :oops:

it's NOT down a PORT or MANIFOLD RUNNER??....eeewwwww....:omg:

look for it on the SUBFRAME...that's where all MY errant hardware usually ends up
and there's STILL a couple of nuts INSIDE one of the ends of the left control arm!! :oops:

I looked in all the usual places, never found it. I'm just glad I had rags shoved in all the open ports :rofl:

Back