• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

s60R R brake upgrade=massive brake squeal. Thoughts?

I don't know anything about a shim that goes between the pad and the pistons on these R calipers. There is no Volvo bulletin for that, the bulletin is for the early cars that didn't have the mass dampers/weights/anti-vibration blocks you see mentioned above.

We had some intermittent issues with this sort of noise complaint even on a stock S60R that had the mass dampers installed. We installed Akebono Ceramic pads and Textar OE replacement rotors then the car developed brake noise(coming from worn Volvo pads and rotors). We switched to Volvo pads but it still made the noise. Then we swapped the Textar rotors out for Brembo OE replacements and the noise went away.

Your experience may vary, and to those who have said that shims behind the pads are needed, are you making this up based on your thoughts with another application, or do you have a part number for something Volvo sold to help this situation?

I have owned a bunch of R's from 04s-07s. I've never seen the the shims. I've also worked on a load of them over the last 15 years and I don't remember seeing them. I have seen the facebook group talk about them and getting them on Ebay or something.

I just pulled up my VIDA and confirmed there is no shim listed in the brake system for the R calipers. Just those vibration dampers on the back of the caliper.

Jordan

Mine squeal extremely loud but only when they're hot. Like during and after spirited driving. All the pads I've seen have a shim bonded to the back, as part of the pad. I'm going to try cleaning and lubricating everything.

I had r calipers upfront and they would only slightly squeal with factory pads and rotor. That was pads were around 2/3rds life left. No squeal before that. No shims.

I now have full R brakes all around. Running a set of ferodo ds25000 pads and slotted rotors front and rear and I have silent braking. The pads and rotor came of my v70r with zero brake noise also.

We swapped the v70r to drilled and slotted rotors with a new set of ds25000 pads and man they squeal. We have new titanium shims for the v70 but have not put them in yet.

I have titanium shims on the 240 R brake set up. That older set of ds25000 and slotted rotors are silent. I have no idea what happened with the drilled and newer ds25000. Hopping the shims help that car. If not, I will never do drilled rotors again.

My 2004 S60r squeals like crazy once they get warm. Tried cleaning and lubricating, new pads and it even got worse. I get looked at like if I had a third eye at every traffic lights!

I always found the worse squeals came from Zimmerman rotors and Texstar or Akebono pads. I never tried different variations. Factor pads and rotors have always been quiet to me.

Back