• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW 71 acting up....

A

Anonymous

It started not wanting to shift when cold, now in stop and go traffic it acts like it has a high stall converter "revs up then launches", it does not appear to be slipping, the fluid appears to be normal in color, & not burnt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew
Palm Beach Florida

coin_ops@bellsouth.net

With my AW70, I had a similar thing happen. When cold, I would put the gear selector in 1 to get the car just to drive at about 3k until it warmed up a bit, then I would put it in D and the thing would just keep reving. I think the problem lies in the kickdown cable or something sticking... Not sure if it is the same problem, but wanted to help..

Kevin

hmmm... mine did that once, where it wouldnt engage until almost 3k rpms, and it was kinda wierd in traffic... it turned out to be almost 2 QUARTS low on fluid... maybe that might be it...
Jimmy

Strange indeed this acting up. I have checked the TV cable, the fluid level, all seem to be ok, no burnt fluid, and no slipping otherwise. I can put my foot into it on the highway and it just pulls nice and strong.. :?

Well I just changed the fluid and the problem is still there :cry: , it appears it is rebuild time, or :?:

Well I have just received my factory AW transmission book. The problem I have had is the upper forward valve body letting air get into the pump. The new upper forward valve body has a bleed that flows to the pan instead of the pump which eliminates the problems I have been having...

Have the same problem and the trans is fine when manually shifted "cold or hot" this newer upper forward valve body may fix your problem too, it works for non-lockup as well as lockup convertor AW-70s & 71s!

While I am indeed getting "Level 10" to do a custom valve body for me, I feel relief that the rest of the trans is still in great shape. I shift manually holding it until 5,500 to 5,800 rpm and shift again, sweet indeed :)

This might be too late but I use the Stuff Called Trans-x....I just dump it into the tranny and It's help smooth things out quite nicely....I've used it on a bunch of cars with good results...

Need a factory manual for a AW71

Hello, Can I ask were you got a factory manual for your transmission. I need on as I am going to rebuild mine. I would be very helpful to have this book. Thanks for yur time, Kenneth

945T man said:
Mine shifts late into 3rd...unless I let off the gas, it goes right up to about 4k then shifts with a nice jolt...only does this going into 3rd. Drives me nuts.

This is a valve body issue. Mine does it a little in second. My last tranny (AW70) did it in first. Valve bodies can be rebuilt and replaced seperately.

I had the same prob on an a42dl..... broke the TC bolts right off. slipped bad after replacing the bolts

Back